DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/18/16

victor

* Jerry Lawler, Michael Cole and Byron Saxton are out for commentary. No Mauro Ranallo

* Sheamus, Rusev and Alberto Del Rio defeated WWE United States Champion Kalisto, Sin Cara and Dolph Ziggler. WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens was on commentary and distracted Ziggler, leading to the pin

* Sasha Banks defeated Tamina Snuka by submission with a Banks Statement. After the match, Tamina and Naomi attacked Sasha but Becky Lynch made the save

* Chris Jericho defeated The Miz by submission with Walls of Jericho. After the match, AJ Styles comes out. Jericho accepts Styles’ challenge for a match at WWE Fastlane

* WWE Divas Champion Charlotte defeated Natalya with the Figure Eight in a non-title match. After, Brie Bella comes out and they brawl for a minute or two.

* Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose defeated The Dudley Boyz is the main event, by disqualification when Brock Lesnar attacked Ambrose. Paul Heyman also came out. Lesnar hit Ambrose and Reigns with German suplexes. Reigns tried to spear Lesnar but accidentally hit Ambrose. Ambrose then tried to hit Dirty Deeds on Reigns but Reigns countered and hit a Samoan Drop. Lesnar hit a F5 on Reigns. Triple H’s music hit and out came the WWE World Heavyweight Champion to the stage. Triple H stares Lesnar down as SmackDown ends

I like that they tried to plant the seeds for a Lesnar v Triple H match all month by giving them... one stare down on the last show before the PPV.

Hell, it's more than they've given to Roman, who's supposedly winning this match. 

I like that they tried to plant the seeds for a Lesnar v Triple H match all month by giving them... one stare down on the last show before the PPV.

Hell, it's more than they've given to Roman, who's supposedly winning this match. 

My hope is that Ambrose is going to win it because they've focused on him way more than Reigns, which means that Reigns is 99% winning. Maybe that leads to Ambrose vs. Lesnar. 

Either that, or we get the reverse with Reigns vs Lesnar 2 and Ambrose vs HHH, or a fatal 4 way like WM 2000. I think any of those options are worthy of a WM given what they have to work with.

EDIT: Although, imagine the hilarity of creative taking a big misstep and making it Brock vs HHH.

My hope is that Ambrose is going to win it because they've focused on him way more than Reigns, which means that Reigns is 99% winning. Maybe that leads to Ambrose vs. Lesnar. 

Either that, or we get the reverse with Reigns vs Lesnar 2 and Ambrose vs HHH, or a fatal 4 way like WM 2000. I think any of those options are worthy of a WM given what they have to work with.

EDIT: Although, imagine the hilarity of creative taking a big misstep and making it Brock vs HHH.

I'm fine with Ambrose vs. Triple H and Lesnar vs. Reigns II at WrestleMania XXXII with what they have to work with. Lesnar vs. Reigns vs. Rollins at WrestleMania XXXI was my MOTY. Please God no Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H. I liked the first and third matches they had but the 'Mania XXIX sucked and is easily Lesnar's worst match since returning to the WWE in 2012.

With the benefit of hindsight and the wrestlers out of action, I wonder if WWE wish they saved The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar Hell in a Cell for WrestleMania XXXII like we all thought they would after SummerSlam 2015? That was a big WrestleMania worthy match.

Ranallo apparently had the night off so that he could attend Kevin Randleman's funeral.

Actually according to the WON - he actually showed up to work with the flu and the company made the decision to send him home

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/why-mauro-ranallo-wasnt-smackdown-tuesday-207751?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

Ranallo apparently had the night off so that he could attend Kevin Randleman's funeral.

Actually according to the WON - he actually showed up to work with the flu and the company made the decision to send him home

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/why-mauro-ranallo-wasnt-smackdown-tuesday-207751?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Vince avoiding getting sneezed on.

• Like 1

They've barely mentioned the Lesnar and Wyatt Family stuff from the Rumble (if at all?), unless people think this "Titan" stuff is about Brock. I'm leaning more towards Wyatts against Big Show, Ryback, Kane & 'Taker at WrestleMania, personally. I don't think Reigns/Lesnar 2 has to be for the title, just like I don't think Reigns/HHH has to be for the title unless they want it to be, but it's pretty obvious HHH is going to defend the title in the main event and I rather that be against Ambrose (even though he's atrocious in-ring). I mean, this looks like a solid card for what they have, and the main event is a fresh match that could put Ambrose over the top. It's not the guy they want, but it's the guy the crowds are choosing and they need to learn to go with the flow.

Triple H versus Dean Ambrose

Brock Lesnar versus Roman Reigns

Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Braun Strowman & Erick Rowan versus The Big Show, Ryback, Kane & The Undertaker

I just don't want to believe they'd waste a WM match for Lesnar on Wyatt (and I love Bray more than I should probably). Is it the Titans stuff that got people thinking that? The fact that Luke Harper is facing Lesnar at that Network special? I mean, it all adds up, but I'll continue to ignore the warning signs until that shit is official :P

Christ, Triple H vs Ambrose for the main event of Mania is a fucking awful idea.

Are we still pretending that Ambrose isn't one of the most over workers on the main roster? Might be a bad match but the potential outcome of Ambrose winning the title would be a better feel good moment than Reigns finally "overcoming the odds" or whatever.

I don't get it. Mediocre promos that have been getting steadily worse, bad ring-work and the absolute worst set of stupid, contrived signature moves in a company full of stupid, contrived moves.

No, I honestly can't figure out why he's so fucking over. I can't remember the last guy I was not confused about their popularity than him.

He keeps getting worse at everything, to boot.

Ambrose is over, but I could see him taking a major hit if he puts on a dud of a match in the WM main event.  And personally, I think part of the popularity has to do with his fans thinking he's being screwed out of a fair deal.  That disappears once he becomes world champ, and then we're left with a guy with shaky offense and arguably the worst move on the roster right now.  Daniel Bryan was popular, but he was also good at what he did.  Ambrose as a character can be amazing.  Ambrose in the ring is marginal at best.

Christ, Triple H vs Ambrose for the main event of Mania is a fucking awful idea.

More than that, it leaves the HHH/Reigns story unfinished.

There are some interesting possibilities on the table.  Ambrose/HHH is not one of them.

I don't get it. Mediocre promos that have been getting steadily worse, bad ring-work and the absolute worst set of stupid, contrived signature moves in a company full of stupid, contrived moves.

He keeps getting worse at everything, to boot.

No, no, we're talking about Ambrose, not Roman Reigns.

Because they'll take a shitty rebel that strikes the same chords, in principle, as Austin in 96-7, over most more traditional hero archetypes? 

Thing is, Ambrose isn't really a rebel.  He's a guy on the fringe of life.  Living in the world's dark corners.  He's an outsider for sure.  I understand the appeal. But that's not necessarily a revolutionary.

Because they'll take a shitty rebel that strikes the same chords, in principle, as Austin in 96-7, over most more traditional hero archetypes? 

Thing is, Ambrose isn't really a rebel.  He's a guy on the fringe of life.  Living in the world's dark corners.  He's an outsider for sure.  I understand the appeal. But that's not necessarily a revolutionary.

He's brain damaged James Dean.

• Like 1