DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

The 'cruiserweight' phrase is so limiting. How many 'cruiserweights' have been WWE or world champ? Just say it's the 32 best unsigned wrestlers in the world.

Because it shuts up all the people who have been screaming "bring back the cruiserweights"

• Like 1

So is this going to be a 10 week tournament or just a 10 week season for the show?  I'd love a 10 week, 32 person, round robin, supersized, Best of the Super Jr. type tournament, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get it.  32 is a shit load of people, I don't know if I could even name 32 current "cruiserweights" that would even fit in on a show like this.

10 week show

I am pretty sure its going to be like the dusty tournament and we arent going to see all the matches

31 matches in ten weeks seems very doable.  Four matches a show would get the first round over in four weeks.  Second round would be weeks five and six.  And then you would have the last four weeks to do the final seven matches.

10 week show

I am pretty sure its going to be like the dusty tournament and we arent going to see all the matches

31 matches in ten weeks seems very doable.  Four matches a show would get the first round over in four weeks.  Second round would be weeks five and six.  And then you would have the last four weeks to do the final seven matches.

Yep. Two quarterfinal matches a piece in Weeks 7/8, the Semis week 9, and the finals Week 10 and it works (also giving WWE chances for any early-round exits who really got over to work the undercard and see if they're for real as well.) 

I like that you clarified "the robot"

Since if it was the Decepticon - Sweetser would be losing his mind right now

Wouldn't be the first time:

230px-MarvelUS-55.jpg

The issue even acknowledged wrestling was a work, too.  (The dude couldn't slam the tiny Autobot, who still weighed nearly a ton, without the Autobot "helping him".)

Thats if it is a tournament

What was mentioned by more than one person was a round robin

My comment was in response to the idea of a round robin

A round robin with 32 wrestlers? That would take forever. Even if you broke it down into four blocks with eight wrestlers each that would still be over 200 matches.

This is in July, too. I think this is WWE's attempt to out-PWG PWG. I hope PWG takes on the challenge.

Going by the NXT roster list on Wiki

The following singles guys could be in it (since they are billed as under 205)

Austin Aries

Chris Girard (Biff Busick)

Finn Balor

Manny Andrade

Rich Swann

Sami Zayn

Hideo Itami

Itami is iffy due to injuries and Balor is questionable since by June might still be champ or he will be called up

Now I am not counting tag guys - if I did it only appears to include Gable and Enzo

So yeah - they are going to be bringing in half the EVOLVE roster

A round robin with 32 wrestlers? That would take forever. Even if you broke it down into four blocks with eight wrestlers each that would still be over 200 matches.

This is in July, too. I think this is WWE's attempt to out-PWG PWG. I hope PWG takes on the challenge.

Clearly you haven't watched the World Cup - you can do it in 64 matches

8 Blocks of 4 - Top 2 advance from each to give you 16

Then single elimination tournament.

They never will do this but it could be done

Going by the NXT roster list on Wiki

The following singles guys could be in it (since they are billed as under 205)

Austin Aries

Chris Girard (Biff Busick)

Finn Balor

Manny Andrade

Rich Swann

Sami Zayn

Hideo Itami

Itami is iffy due to injuries and Balor is questionable since by June might still be champ or he will be called up

Now I am not counting tag guys - if I did it only appears to include Gable and Enzo

So yeah - they are going to be bringing in half the EVOLVE roster

Since it does't specifically mention NXT anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised, if they put some main roster guys like Neville and Breeze in there, too.

Since it does't specifically mention NXT anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised, if they put some main roster guys like Neville and Breeze in there, too.

They almost have to unless it truly does turn into basically a quasi-tryout (which HHH seem to being implying in one of the interviews)

Clearly you haven't watched the World Cup - you can do it in 64 matches

8 Blocks of 4 - Top 2 advance from each to give you 16

Then single elimination tournament.

They never will do this but it could be done

Yeah, you're right. I was in the wrestling bubble and only thought of tournaments like the G1 Climax and the Champion Carnival.