DVDVR Message Board

The NASCAR (and other Racing) Thread

Rev Ray

So, NASCAR has announced that for 2016, field size is going to be dropped to 40 from 43 and there is a new "charter" system where 36 teams are guaranteed starting spots. 

There's something where they gave Michael Waltrip Racing charters which they then sold off to the extra teams that didn't get chartered with Joe Gibbs and Stewart-Haas racing.

Of course in this, one of the oldest teams in the sport, the Wood Brothers who have been running partial schedules did not get a charter.

Not sure how this really promotes new teams coming into the sport with smaller fields and less guarantees to make a race.

It doesn't promote new teams, but it gives the 36 protected ones something to sell if they can't afford to run anymore.

Tony Stewart's retirement season starts with him on the injured list. Brian Vickers is going to be driving the #14 at Daytona.

Saw something now that they are now not releasing race purses and that apparently the pay is based on if you have a charter or not which again to me doesn't sound like it's benefital for new teams to come in without buying someone else out rather than earning their way in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I watched a NASCAR race for the first time in my life yesterday. Seemed unnecessarily confusing. Even the commentators and drivers were bitching about the rules, so I guess there were new rules for this particular race? Why have mandatory pit stops? Why not just stop when you need to? Why have 50 lap segments instead of one big 150 lap race? I assume it's for giving drivers a breather and for fuel changes, but the segments didn't seem to make much impact. In the end, it's whoever comes in first in the final segment that wins the whole race. Or did I miss something and the segments lead to better positioning in the next segment?

Also, I saw this Michael Waltrip guy and found it surprising that an openly gay man was heavily involved in the world of NASCAR. I googled him later, and it appears he's not out of the closet.

You watched an all star race that isn't actually part of the season, like the all star games in other sports. They switch up the format every year for it in an effort to make it seem unique and must watch, but it usually ends up being an unwatchable shit show. This year was worse than usual, which is saying something. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dale Junior is out of the #88 this weekend with concussion symptoms. Alex Bowman replaces him this weekend. If Dale can't go next weekend at Indy, the replacement being lined up: Jeff Gordon.

• 4 months later...
On 2016-11-20 at 10:44 PM, Rev Ray said:

Jimmie Johnson has car sent to back of the field for making changes to it after pre-race inspection, wins championship.  I finish 4th in NASCAR league. Man, fuck 2016.

The worst part of him winning was that he was the 4th best of the chase cars all day. If Edwards does not cut off Logano, Johnson finishes 3rd or 4th at best.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am not staring a new thread because only two people care but Carl Edwards is retiring

Edwards, Stewart, and it looks like Gordon is (FINALLY) retiring from any racing in the series. Biffle is gone as well. 

Yet Michael Waltrip still has a ride for at least two races every year. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fox is going to have 8 Cup series drivers do the entire broadcast for the June 10 Xfinity Series race at Pocono. Harvick, Logano and Bowyer in the broadcast booth, Danica Patrick and Denny Hamlin as the hosts in the Hollywood Hotel, and Erik Jones, Ryan Blaney and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. as the pit road reporters.

Can't ever accuse Fox of never thinking outside of the bubble. This is most likely going to end up being a glorious trainwreck.

52 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Fox is going to have 8 Cup series drivers do the entire broadcast for the June 10 Xfinity Series race at Pocono. Harvick, Logano and Bowyer in the broadcast booth, Danica Patrick and Denny Hamlin as the hosts in the Hollywood Hotel, and Erik Jones, Ryan Blaney and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. as the pit road reporters.

Can't ever accuse Fox of never thinking outside of the bubble. This is most likely going to end up being a glorious trainwreck.

I know it wouldn't happen but how great would it be if the set in the Hollywood Hotel fell apart while Danica is speaking.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2017 at 1:22 PM, Dewar said:

It didn't end up being much of a trainwreck. It wasn't that interesting, especially the three in the booth were fairly boring at times (and Denny and Danica didn't even seem like they wanted to be there) but it could have been much, much worse. 

I did get a kick out of letting Keselowski do the victory lane interview with Blaney, after Blaney did the interview with Keselowski on Saturday. Nice touch there. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/20/2017 at 0:37 PM, Dewar said:

2018 Silly Season Update:

Erik Jones to Joe Gibbs Racing in the #20 car

Matt Kenseth from the #20 to ?

Alex Bowman takes over the #88 from Dale Junior

Ryan Blaney from the #21 to a new, third Penske car. Paul Menard to the #21 Wood Brothers team, with Menard's as a major sponsor. 

Kasey Kahne out from the #5. William Byron to the #5.

Stewart-Haas racing likely downsizing to three cars, either Kurt Busch or Danica Patrick will be out at Stewart-Haas. Or maybe both are out and it ends up being a landing spot for Kenseth?

RCR technically has an open slot now with Menard leaving, but I doubt they'll find a major sponsor for it. I could see Ty Dillon moving here and Childress covering a part of the cost of running the car. Or maybe RCR ousts Ryan Newman and puts Ty Dillon in the #31.  

Furniture Row likely not running the #77 next year unless a major sponsor is found (and it's pretty late at this point to find one). 

There's going to be a lot fewer quality rides next year (and down to less than 20 right now). All of the recent driver changes are really reflecting the overall stability of the sport (not good), sponsorships (way down), and costs (way up). They cut down from a 43 car field to a 40 car field, and rarely get 40 cars to show up to qualify except for the few marquee events. I wonder if they're re-thinking the 'franchise' model implemented a few years ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

Danica Patrick is out at SHR due to 'sponsorship issues' (namely, no one wanting to sponsor a driver who earned only 7 top-10 finishes in six years).

Smithfield foods is moving to SHR as a sponsor, guessing Aric Almirola will move to SHR and drive that car.

Bubba Wallace likely to take over the #43 next year.