DVDVR Message Board

The NASCAR (and other Racing) Thread

Rev Ray

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Former F1 champ Jenson Button will run three road/street races this year in NASCAR's top series -- COTA March 26, Chicago Street in July and Indy Street in August. He'll race in the #15 for Rick Ware Racing with Mobil 1 support.

Kimi Raikonnen will also return to NASCAR for the COTA race, again with the "international" entry for Trackhouse.

10 minutes ago, Dewar said:

The best thing was after he made it back to pit road and he proclaimed "What are they going to do? Fine me? I can't afford to pay it". 

Denny Hamlin apparently paid his fine. 

What's killing me is the YP hypocrisy. If a certain 23XI driver had pulled that stunt, you know the same folks lauding Williams would be calling it the biggest disgrace in NASCAR and demanding a lifelong suspension.

• 1 month later...

I know zero context here, and frankly don't even want to, but talk about "mouth writing checks your ass couldn't cash"...

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know zero context here, and frankly don't even want to, but talk about "mouth writing checks your ass couldn't cash"...

TLDR: they're both assholes. 😄

Aww, more tributes to Dean that weren't supposed to be tributes to Dean.

• 1 month later...

In an absolute hideous story - Jimmie Johnson will not be racing in NASCAR's Chicago street race this week due to the death of his wife's parents and nephew

It appears to be a murder suicide. I am putting the details in spoilers

Spoiler

The bodies of Jack Janway, 69; his wife, Terry Janway, 68; and their grandson Dalton Janway, 11, were discovered Monday at a home in Muskogee, Oklahoma, located about 50 miles southeast of Tulsa, Muskogee police spokesperson Lynn Hamlin said.

Police are investigating the deaths as an apparent murder-suicide. Police responded to the home after a woman called 911 to report a disturbance with a gun before hanging up, Hamlin said.

When police arrived on the scene, they found one person near the front door of the home and then heard a gunshot from further inside, where officers later found two other people dead, Hamlin said. She said investigators believe Terry Janway shot and killed her husband and grandson before shooting herself. Hamlin confirmed the three are the parents and nephew of Johnson's wife, Chandra Janway.

From the bit I saw of the Chicago race, it reminded me of watching the racewalking in Sapporo at the Tokyo games which had a course of laps around both sides of a street for 20km.

I don’t know how many places they could get a good course in if they wanted to do this in another city.

This also being Chicago, there’s a non-zero chance that some Alderman gets indicted for trying to bribe NASCAR officials 

SVG, the whole f'n show. First racer to win his NASCAR debut since Johnny Rutherford at Daytona in 1963 and the first road course win by a "ringer" since Mark Donohue at Riverside in 1973.

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

From the bit I saw of the Chicago race, it reminded me of watching the racewalking in Sapporo at the Tokyo games which had a course of laps around both sides of a street for 20km.

I don’t know how many places they could get a good course in if they wanted to do this in another city.

This also being Chicago, there’s a non-zero chance that some Alderman gets indicted for trying to bribe NASCAR officials 

They could easily use the course Indy Car just used in Detroit, they’d probably double the crowd.

SVG's win led me down the Supercars rabbit hole, which led me to this AMAZING clip of DW going for the ride of his life at Bathurst. Objectively one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Count the come-to-Jesus moments.

On 1/13/2023 at 4:05 PM, The Natural said:

Shocking news. Jennie Gow's great. Best wishes go out to Jennie, she's only 45. Get well soon xxx.

On 1/13/2023 at 4:08 PM, The Natural said:

On 1/13/2023 at 4:25 PM, Dewar said:

That's crazy. Jennie is great on the Radio 5 Live Formula One podcasts. 

On 1/14/2023 at 6:03 AM, The Natural said:

In full agreement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66143457

Lovely to hear Jennie Gow today. You wouldn't know she's had a stroke.

Edited by The Natural