DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/4/16

victor

A character like The Miz shouldn't win matches by hitting a finisher. Miz's finishers should be a handful of tights, feet on the ropes, brass knuckles, exposed turnbuckle, etc.

The thing is, he is so not believable as a wrestler that, apart from the brass knucks, those other things still require him to be able to hold his own too much in the match.  Flair could use those things because he could hang in with the rest of the match.  He didn't need them but would use them.

Letting Miz have one devastating but cheap move would graduate him from "chicken shit who cheats but is helpless without his weapon", to "guy who doesn't deserve his success but found this one secret move that makes him impossible to beat."

Then every match becomes a matter of whether the babyface can avoid that move.  There's a nice natural storyline to every feud waiting for the guy who can counter it. 

I don't think those finishes necessarily mean Miz has to hold his own too much. His opponent can whip him into the corner, Miz moves, opponent posts himself, Miz rolls him up with his feet on the ropes for the extra leverage.

Miz's opponent catches him in a small package, Miz reverses it, and grabs a handful of tights.

Kalisto-Owens was a great TV match. Kalisto's had a better 2016 than anyone else in WWE, too late to make a serious play for March Madness but they may have found the great TV worker they've been missing ever since Rey left.

Letting Miz have one devastating but cheap move would graduate him from "chicken shit who cheats but is helpless without his weapon", to "guy who doesn't deserve his success but found this one secret move that makes him impossible to beat."

Like a low blow. 

In my fantasy booking of Miz, which was an actual thing that I spent brain power on back then, I always wanted it to be a legit move.  That would make it more infuriating.  Also easier to put it over, like it's harder to put over "Can Cena make it through the match without falling victim to a low blow?"  than "Can Cena make it through the match avoiding the [stunner...it was always the stunner...]?"

Kalisto-Owens was a great TV match. Kalisto's had a better 2016 than anyone else in WWE, too late to make a serious play for March Madness but they may have found the great TV worker they've been missing ever since Rey left.

Well to be fair - he is one of like 3 guys who has been healthy for the entire 5 weeks of the year so far

No, first week Mauro showed up he just magically switched Heel again and started picking on Kalisto and supporting Owens over Ambrose.

I find him easier to stomach as a heel, but I do think he brings the show down. I like Mauro a lot and I even like Byron.

Miz is so great at character work, I just wish he was a little better in the ring. His promos and backstage bits stand out, his matches rarely do.

Is there a storyline reason why Lawler is a heel commentator now?

Bitches be crazy?

especially when they have their first period, or their mom starts bitching about their room not being clean or their lousy report card. That drives Jerry over the edge.

• Like 5

Well to be fair - he is one of like 3 guys who has been healthy for the entire 5 weeks of the year so far

Let's be real here we aren't missing a great Randy Orton run.

Is there a storyline reason why Lawler is a heel commentator now?

Was wondering this myself.  He's definitely about 20x better as a heel commentator, I think.  The problem is, he's played the role of face color commentator for so long that he still forgets himself which leads to him flip-flopping which side he's on right in the middle of a match.  "Kevin Owens needs to squash this little fly...what a move by Kalisto!  Get him, Kevin!"

Lawler's heel persona is a bit odd but JBL also flip flops back and forth all night during Raw. Speaking of Raw they updated the last Smackdown twice during Raw that's 2 more times than they usually do, At least they're making an effort to push smackdown.

Despite the audience support I feel they will not push Styles past the mid-card level

AJ as Smackdown ace would be fantastic.  I smile hearing Mauro call his matches like it was NJPW on AXS.  I could go for much more of that.  That, and SD still is more about matches than long promos, so that's a win-win.