DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/4/16

victor

Main Event Taping:

* The Usos and The Prime Time Players vs. Stardust, Tyler Breeze and The Ascension is first. Titus got the win for his team in what was said to be a pretty good match

* Naomi and Tamina Snuka cut a backstage promo

* Jack Swagger defeated Fandango by submission

* Naomi and Tamina Snuka defeated Paige and Natalya, when Natalya tapped out

Smackdown Spoilers:

Roman Reigns vs. Rusev with Lana kicks off SmackDown. The match ends in a disqualification when Alberto Del Rio interferes. Dean Ambrose makes the save. The League of Nations gets the upperhand but Reigns brings a steel chair in the ring and they retreat. King Barrett was out

* Kevin Owens vs. WWE United States Champion Kalisto in a non-title match is next, with Dolph Ziggler on commentary. Kalisto gets the win with an assist from Ziggler. After the match, Owens lays Ziggler and Kalisto out

* The Miz cuts a promo on AJ Styles

* Ryback defeated Erick Rowan. Braun Strowman attacked Ryback after the match but he escaped

* Renee Young interviews Becky Lynch backstage but Sasha Banks interrupts

* AJ Styles vs. The Miz with Chris Jericho watching from ringside is next. Styles wins a great match with the Calf Killer. Jericho cuts a promo after the match and asks for a rematch. Styles agrees and it will take place next week

* Brock Lesnar was also announced for next week

* JoJo interviews Roman Reigns about tonight's main event

* WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day come to the ring for a promo. They're interrupted by Heath Slater, Curtis Axel and Adam Rose for what was said to be a funny segment. This leads to a match

* The New Day defeated The Social Outcasts with feet on the ropes and a roll-up

* WWE Divas Champion Charlotte defeated Alicia Fox with Brie Bella in a non-title match, using the Figure Eight

* WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns vs. Alberto Del Rio and Rusev is the main event. Ambrose and Reigns get the win after a spear

Sounds like a very entertaining show, and Kalisto getting a win over Owens is hugh.

I don't know re: Kalisto.  A distraction win as part of someone else's feud doesn't do much for him.  Plus that seems like a stupid thing to book. The point of that is to make Kevin Owens mad so he wants to beat up Dolph I guess.  But Kevin Owens is always mad.  Kevin Owens' motivation to beat up Dolph is that Kevin Owens is a dick and Dolph is a person near him that is too happy.

I'm just so sick of that pattern of booking feuds.  Trading distraction wins.  It means so little now.  It's so rote and guaranteed to happen at least once on every single show that I tune it out.

• Like 7

Kalisto is champion and needs to be kicking ass and having good matches. Again, I am not sure why WWE has tons of jobbers on the pay roll and not using them to help pad records and establish some time of credibility. Kalisto having 10 straights wins against guys like Stardust, Swagger, The Ascension, etc. mean more longer term then getting a win due to outside interference. Guys like Mark Henry don't have much years left to give. Is a Kalisto/Henry program that bad of an idea?

I like that Smackdown is turning into a show worth watching again. Now if WWE can do something with that set and film it differently than Raw (no more quick zooms, cutting every 3 seconds, and shaky cameras) and Smackdown will easily become the best non-Network WWE show.

There are so many guys on the roster that they could have Kalisto take on in competitive matches to build him up as a great champion. Owens doesn't need to be one of him at this time.

I mean just as an example, you could have Kalisto vs. Adam Rose in a non-title match. Probably would be pretty good. Serves it's purpose and Kalisto wins big. But as the above post said some thought would have to go into it.

Charlotte got her win back against Team Bella.  Not surprised.

Good to see AJ break out the Calf Slicer again.  I am digging the establishment of multiple finishers. 

Putting the New Day in the ring with the Social Outcasts is not going to make me cheer for the Social Outcasts.  How the fuck is the son of Mr. Perfect and the grandson of Larry the Axe in an Island of Misfit Toys gimmick?

I'm surprised nobody's mentioning Ryback's gear embracing the Goldberg chants about 3 years too late.

For those that hadn't seen it - as posted in the photo thread

Ryberg.jpg

Oh sorry, I for the most part avoid the omnibus threads, as I am sure at times you wish you could as well.

Charlotte got her win back against Team Bella. Not surprised.

Good to see AJ break out the Calf Slicer again. I am digging the establishment of multiple finishers.

Putting the New Day in the ring with the Social Outcasts is not going to make me cheer for the Social Outcasts. How the fuck is the son of Mr. Perfect and the grandson of Larry the Axe in an Island of Misfit Toys gimmick?

Because they gave his gimmick to Tye Dillinger.

Indeed.  He got his brawn from his granddad but his father's moxie skipped his generation. 

The in your face booking that tried to get him over as a heel and failed did not help... which means that he will probably make for a mega babyface if he ever turned (The Chris Masters Rule).

Naomi is like the lost adopted Malenko daughter with all of these submission finishers.  She has three or four in her arsenal right now.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioning Ryback's gear embracing the Goldberg chants about 3 years too late.

For those that hadn't seen it - as posted in the photo thread

Ryberg.jpg

I liked Ryback's airbrushed (that the term?) singlets.

Good to see AJ break out the Calf Slicer again.  I am digging the establishment of multiple finishers. 

I second the support of multiple finishers. I like the wrestlers who have a pinfall and submission finisher if the need arises.

I'm already taking Ryback more seriously based on the gear change. Owens dropping two falls this week seems a little fishy to me. I thought he was the MVP of the Rumble show. Maybe they didn't like the face reactions and thought he was getting too big for his britches. I thought that's what the elastic waist band shorts were for, but oh well.

• Like 1

I'm already taking Ryback more seriously based on the gear change. Owens dropping two falls this week seems a little fishy to me. I thought he was the MVP of the Rumble show. Maybe they didn't like the face reactions and thought he was getting too big for his britches. I thought that's what the elastic waist band shorts were for, but oh well.

I'm with you on Kevin Owens as the MVP of the Royal Rumble event. Said it in the Rumble thread. Kevin's best thing in the WWE today for me.

AJ vs Miz was excellent. Exactly what it needed to be and Jericho's doing a great job of hyping up AJ without it feeling forced. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do next week now that they've actually wrestled and they can clean up some of the missteps from the first match.