DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] FEBRUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

DVRed Hooper off TCM and it's just the best.  Burt Reynolds plays the titular lead, an aging stuntman whose body is starting to give out, but he's not ready to give way to newcomer stuntman extraordinaire Ski (Jan Michael Vincent).  It's the most bizarre mix of pathos (The relationship between Reynolds and his gf Sally Field; the parallels drawn between he and her father (Brian Keith) himself an ex-stuntman edged out by Reynolds), Hollywood satire (Robert Klein basically plays Peter Bogdanovich, while they all take turns mocking him and his underlings and dealing with studio politics), weirdo madcap comedy (A ridiculous bar brawl) and some of the most insane stunts I have ever seen.  The last 5-10 minutes is basically cars smashing into each other, explosions galore and a ridiculous jump over a canyon.

• Like 1

220px-PrivateResort_poster.jpg

Just watched the 1985 Johnny Depp/Rob Morrow '80s T&A comedy "Private Resort" on Starz and man, that may be the WACKIEST '80s T&A Comedy farce from that era, and that's saying something. It had the following ALL happening:

-Waiter accidentally spilling wine on the '80s bad guy while ogling the bad guy's girlfriend's boobs (girlfriend played by Leslie Easterbook of Police Academy fame).

-A lecherous 12-year old kid scheming to see women topless and breaking the fourth wall with a smart-alecky comment about things that are happening.

-The '80s bad guy getting hit in the nuts with a golf ball.

-Hector Elizondo as the '80s bad guy, slumming it in a role that's way beneath him.

And that's just the first 12 minutes of the movie.

Other things that happen:

-Grandma accidentally took Quaaludes and is tripping balls.

-Tons of pratfalls by alternate bad guy - the stuffy head of resort security!

-A very high quotient of hot '80s chicks with plenty of gratuitous hot '80s chick nudity. Balanced out by some Johnny Depp and Rob Morrow ass for the ladies.

-Japanese people that are either grunting fat guys that practice sumo all the time or tourists with cameras.

-Andrew Dice Clay shows up 50 minutes into the movie.

-Uh oh, Johnny Depp is about to bang Andrew Dice Clay's girlfiend, but Andrew Dice Clay is now in the same resort suite too!

-Rob Morrow having to dress in drag to escape from the bad guy. Lo and behold, both '80s bad guy and Andrew Dice Clay ogle him while he's dressed as a woman and feel her/him up.

-A threadbare story device where the '80s bad guy is trying to steal a rare jewel from Grandma.

-Sorry '80s bad guy, Grandma knows karate and ain't taking any shit from you.

-And during the final climactic chase, a painter gets knocked off a ladder and a can of paint falls onto the '80s bad guy's head. And that's also after the '80s bad guy gets hit with a pie.

-The final joke of the movie is a dude in pain getting his genitals squeezed really hard, and then the movie freeze-frames on other characters laughing. Cue credits.

I give this movie Eleventy Billion Stars.

Looks like the Patrick Stewart version is also on Prime.

I found that one to be deeply disappointing. Cheap, overwrought, artsy-fartsy in a bad way. It reminded me of my old ideas that I had way back in college about making a gothed-up black-and-white Hamlet which was entirely set in a bunch of dingy basements. Even poor Stewart barely seems to be trying half the time, there's a real sense of him going through the motions (as opposed to his magnificent turn as Claudius the year before). If you wanna watch a really low-budget made-for-TV version of Macbeth which stars a modern English legend with infinite geek cred, go with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench in the main roles. (It's also got Ian McDiarmid as the drunken doorman!)

Hated The Witch.

One moment had me thinking "this is a lot like Lords of Salem"

Not a compliment

Saw it last September at TIFF and was left cold.  Glad I'm seeing similar opinions now, even if the critics still seem to love it.  A post on another board said that the problem is that the protagonists are too passive.  I think that nails it.  It just feels like the whole movie is a hopeless downhill slide for them.  It's an extremely well-made movie though.

Haven't seen Lords of Salem, but there's a part near the end that made me think "Wow, you'd reeeally have to be on board with this story to buy this."

I think the best way to describe Lords of Salem is that it's the most archly European thing that Rob Zombie's ever made. Everything else in his ouvre is pretty thoroughly 'Murican, but this one feels more like an Italian ghost-demon movie from the mid-80s. And huge swaths of it make no fucking sense whatsoever, you basically have to make purely abstract guesses at whatever the hell is going on.

The more I hear about The Witch, the more it sounds like Arthur Miller's The Crucible except with a completely backwards moral because this time witches are real and totally evil and they worship Satan while having crazy naked cackling orgies n' shit. Which is just THE laziest fucking story you can possibly tell about witches in any modern narrative.

I watched Lords of Salem expecting it to suck, as all of Zombie's other movies have been varying degrees of crap, but found myself getting surprisingly on board with it at first.  It definitely comes off like an homage to some old Fulci film with various horror character actor shoehorned in and the basic premise is actually halfway interesting.  Then it totally goes off the rails and devolves into what comes off as an overly long music video for the last third or so.

You didn't like Devil's Rejects?

Nope.  I rewatched it not too long ago and still thought it tried way too hard to try and ape the overly gritty and graphic grindhouse aesthetic so that it came off as derivative instead of an engaging homage (many of the same reasons I thought Death Proof sucked).  The way they made the villains so over the top violent and edgy by saying "fuck" twice per sentence was also annoying.  It's pretty much the same complaint I have with Natural Born Killers - I didn't find them cool at all and just wanted them to die as painfully as possible.  I have no problem with violence for the sake of violence, but nothing in this movie worked for me.

Just saw the Revenant. Gorgeous movie, and a nice story with incredible acting. Saw the Martian a week ago (yes, I am almost always several months behind the pop culture curve.) I lied it as well, even if was somewhat anticlimatic. . .

I read in the Sunday Times magazine, their culture gossip guy said he talked to a bunch of Academy voters, and they said they never even watched Straight Outta Compton because it 'supports crime'. The writer pointed out the hypocrisy of thinking Bonnie and Clyde is a classic but not watching Straight Outta Compton because of crime (which isn't actually about criminality, so much as about people escaping a criminal situation). He then said the 'Oscars ugliness is as much about age  and the ossification of taste as it is about race'.

I hate most of Rob Zombie's catalogue, but I liked Lords of Salem and Devil's Rejects.  As far as Lords of Salem goes, I am a sucker for chthonic unstoppable horror and Rob Zombie's incessant LOOK AT MY HOT WIFE~! bullshit pays off because she's actually hot in that movie.   I grudgingly like Devil's Rejects because it is completely unapologetic and I admire that in a filmmaker..

Yesterday was forst time going to an amc dine-in theater. (Matinee was 1/2 price of commensurate time at local Regal)

Not bad. Comfy recliners were cool. Since it was lunch time, i ordered chicken tenders and a drink w free refills for $12 (twice as much as my ticket). But it was lunchtime, so i was killing 2 birds w 1 stone, since i generally dont get food at the pictures.