DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

From the April 20, 2015 WON

The Briscoes signed two year deals after turning down a WWE offer. The WWE made an offer to them more than a month ago. They went to ROH and told them the offer, and ROH beat the offer. They went back to Canyon Ceman of WWE with their ROH offer and Ceman said WWE wasn't going to give them a new offer, so that made their decision easier...

Years ago, they were about to go when Jay made a tweet that came across as homophobic and WWE felt it could bit them if they signed someone who publicly said something anti-gay so their offers were withdrawn. ROH told him to apologize, which he did quickly, and kept him. On the flip side, now 31 and 30, they have the family business chicken farm, and families. They've also started a landscaping business and have talked about opening a wrestling school as well. The ROH schedule allows them to work weekends as pro wrestlers and get a steady paycheck from it while maintaining their other businesses, and the expectation is that business will be part of their lives long past pro wrestling. Another aspect of the offer is that they will likely be going on multiple New Japan tours, which also pay better than the WWE offer. If they signed with WWE, they'd have to move to Orlando full-time at first, which would eliminate their working their other business. Now granted, if they made the WWE main roster and made hundreds of thousands a year, it would be worth it, but WWE didn't make that offer to them.If they spent two years in NXT, making less than ROH, plus gave up on the businesses, it didn't seem like the smart move. Sometimes the right decision running a business at a certain point in life doesn't jive with chasing the most potential fame.

There is more but that is the gist (basically the rest is Meltzer theorizing that if they WWE REALLY wanted them, they would have made the money work but clearly this should they weren't fully committed to the Briscoes).

And the reason I remembered it was because I had just read the issue. (Yes I am a year behind in my WONs)

To be fair - my understanding was that the Briscoes turned the WWE down partly because they didn't want to move to Florida (and thus taking them away from their business)

What? They can't manufacture meth in Florida?

I'm assuming that's their 'business'.

their chicken farm