DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For March 23, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

Week 3

- Johnny Gargano def. Elias Samson.
- Post match: Samson beats Gargano down until Apollo Crews makes the save.

- Finn Balor def. Rich Swann 

- Alexa Bliss  (w/Blake and Murphy) def. Sarah Dobson 

- Bull Dempsey vs. Danny Birch never happens as Bull is attacked on the ramp by Samoa Joe. Joe gets in the ring and lays Birch out too. 

- Asuka def. Emma  (w/Dana Brooke)

Balor/Swann was awesome for a short match. Greg will probably hate it but Swann rules. I think he'll be a bigger star in WWE than Crews.

Asuka/Emma was good but really long. Crowd was pretty dead for it at times. Emma is my favorite woman competitor now. Her squash with Deonna was just brutal.

Drifter is the worst. Worse than Bull and A-Ry. My favorite chant of the night was "Drift away". Screw that guy.

I really don't get the hate for Samson. He seems pretty bland and vaguely reminds me of Savage. I don't see why he won't be able to improve like people before him have.

It's one of the unwelcome side effects of NXT getting so hot that I think we all saw coming: People forget that it's DEVELOPMENTAL. Not everybody is going to be a ready-made star when they hit TV. It's not even supposed to work that way.

Samson's execution is great. His high knee this week was awesome. His Savage elbow looked better than most. His neckbreaker looks sharp, even if it's a terrible finisher in the year 2016.

The gimmick's not that big of a deal to me. He's not singing to the crowd before every match or anything dumb like that. It adds a little color to an otherwise generic dude. Honestly, guys like Riley and Crews could use something like that to make them at least slightly compelling.

He needs to drop the guitar, the scarf, and get some different pants.

Like, he's trying to be The Drifter, but his pants scream opening band for Bang Tango at the County Fair.

The scarf is, well, dude who bought a Frank Turner album at Urban Outfitters.

The guitar screams Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1

He needs to drop the guitar, the scarf, and get some different pants.

Like, he's trying to be The Drifter, but his pants scream opening band for Bang Tango at the County Fair.

The scarf is, well, dude who bought a Frank Turner album at Urban Outfitters.

The guitar screams Jeff Jarrett.

No, they just need to make it work for them. Go all out and keep the gimmick going further to make him more hated.

Just have Billie Kay and Liv Morgan flip a coin to see which of them will hang onto Samson's arm after he strums a bad cover of "Wonderwall" for them, and instantly all of Samson's trappings work for him.

I've only seen him this past week and the build-up vignettes but I too don't understand the vitriol this guy gets. He should do more drifter-like things though.

Like trying to convince the local police that there is a killer on the loose?

That's what I think when I think of a drifter. I think of a serial killer.

Kinda feels to me that they like Samson's in-ring work a lot and want to give him some time with the brief sketch of a gimmick. I'm guessing he has a little music background and someone wrote him that pretty good lyrics (for a wrestling song). Now he's figuring out the promos.

It's the same hoped-for career arc as Corbin.

He was a jobber for a while. Then they gave him the one move match big while he figured out his presentation. Then they added in a bit more time for his matches. And then "dickish indie hater" became a good sketched out character and he's pretty much run with that and is now someone who can legitimately walk around with the NXT Title. He came around really nicely.

Samson's in-ring ready. And the only way to get TV ready is to get on TV. It might take a little bit for him to be a finished product but he's been okay so far.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you see how Balor was getting annoyed with Swan? Like he was irritated with him. Like he was showing genuine heel emotion and getting pissy as fuck. Yeah, Balor turning heel soon because his offense has gotten more aggressive and more punishing. Dude is trying to do more than just win a match.

• Like 2

I really liked Swann. He looks like he's naturally having fun. His moves make sense with what he's doing personality wise. He's also ridiculously athletic. I liked that match a lot.

The American Alpha promo was amazing. They had some great goofball energy and charisma before. Now they have a sympathetic edge to them, too. I loved that they now have a past collective failure from their dominant amateur careers to get passed. Great obstacle to overcome. I hope The Revival win so that mountain comes off as harder to climb.

Just now, Kyuubi said:

I'm new here from what I have been told about Greggulator is that he hates flippy indy guys. And Rich Swann is the epitome of flippy indie guy. So...what?

I don't hate flippy indie guys. I hate Gargano.

Using Samson's genuine heel heat to get Apollo Crews over is like the best possible use I can think of for Samson. 

I have only seen probably twenty-five or thirty Rich Swann matches, but I really do like that guy. Bálor worked his ass off to get him over in a loss, too. Good little TV match. 

Controversial opinion: Blake and Murphy as somewhat-creepy, excitable goobers are far more charismatic and interesting than heel Alexa Bliss. I don't see much in her at all. Somehow, Blake and Murphy elevate her rather than the other way around. 

Samoa Joe choking fools out is enjoyable television. 

That video package for American Alpha was so great. For Jason Jordan, this whole year-long storyline has been a pretty great redemption story in its own right. 

Emma/Asuka was very good, as expected. Good show.