DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For March 16, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

Corey Graves announcing for the Jax/Eva vs. Asuka/Bayley match was perfect. I love the realization that Eva Marie was going to be in the ring with Asuka and there was zero percent chance it was going to end well for Miss All Red Everything.

Forgot to mention that, Graves getting annoyed when Phillips kept trying to talk during Eva's entrance was classic.

• Like 1

I thought people were higher on Rich Brennan in the Phillips role.

Phillips has always been way better than Brennan. Corey showed a lot of promise on his first night in the booth, and after going through some trial and error, he's found a really good balance.

I can't remember the subject matter, but there was some exchange last night where Phillips tried to correct Graves on something (where Phillips was completely wrong) and Corey was just like "I can't even..." It was hilarious.

Glad I'm not the only one totally digging Graves on commentary. He's been entertaining the hell out of me. He and Tom are gold.

That Dallas card is stacked. I agree with the earlier post about Joe and Finn. They are going to have to be at 110% to hold their own as the main event on that card.

Oh Mania...I remember when I used to look forward to you like this...or do I?

And then when it went to Asuka's entrance,

Phillips: Can I talk now?

Graves: ...I suppose

That was such a great bit - and it was all the delivery by Graves.

That NXT hype vid for Nakamura was outstanding - they could literally put that on Raw and throw him in the IC Title mix at WM and he would fit right in - especially with Sami's WWE story being "he's a guy, and he's a guy who is named Sami Zayn" so far.

Emma is a fantastic top. I really do love seeing Dana develop in the ring but she's doing such a fantastic job as a hype man/manager.

Gable almost did a handstand breaking out of the powerbomb. Aiden English is Gumby. Gotch surprised the heck out of me, hanging with Gable on the mat.

Corey Graves practically told the story for the women's tag match by himself; the realization that Eva had to face Asuka then the comparison to a National Geographic horror clip was inspired. If/when he gets brought up, I hope he gets teamed with Mauro Ranallo on SD.

Gable almost did a handstand breaking out of the powerbomb. Aiden English is Gumby. Gotch surprised the heck out of me, hanging with Gable on the mat.

I've always been big on the Vaudevillains wrestling. I am indifferent on their gimmick because I mostly do not get it, but those guys are William Regal level in the ring to me when i comes to technical wrestling.

The VV gimmick rules.

Yes, it does. Unfortunately, JBL and Jerry Lawler would shit all over it if they were to get called up. JBL and Jerry Lawler in 2016 aren't good enough to call Juggalo Championshit Wrestling.

• Like 1

Yes, it does. Unfortunately, JBL and Jerry Lawler would shit all over it if they were to get called up. JBL and Jerry Lawler in 2016 aren't good enough to call Juggalo Championshit Wrestling.

Wait... that's a fantastic idea. It'll be like a bizarro Waldorf and Statler.

Man, seriously, I'd love to see that.

Wait... that's a fantastic idea. It'll be like a bizarro Waldorf and Statler.

Man, seriously, I'd love to see that.

All of my ideas are fantastic.

I think the Vauds are trying to do a little too much with their gimmick and its making it muddied.  Their promos are supposed to be this silent and creepy 'American Horror Story Freaks' thing but they are yelling during the matches about how many they are which goes back to the Hipster thing which they've never properly explored while still having this throwback to the 50's sort of thing.  They should pick one thing and go full force on it.  They also need either a new finish or hit that thing a lot quicker between the European Uppercut and the Swinging Neckbreaker.  I would put them third on the heel tag team depth chart behind the Revival and BAMF.

Aiden English needs to start singing again. You're right that they've gotten away from their gimmick. Aiden was the Drama King and Gotch was some old school strong man who Regal initially put over as freakishly strong. Now, you've got Graves calling him deceptively strong, forgetting/retconning the whole original gimmick. Now they're just a couple of hipsters basically.