DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 18: Johnson vs. Bader (1/30/2016) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_on_FOX_18_Johnson_vs._Bader_Poster.j

UFC on Fox 18: Johnson vs. Bader
January 30, 2016
Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Anthony Johnson (205.25) vs. Ryan Bader (205) - Johnson, KO (punches), R1 (1:26)
Josh Barnett (241) vs. Ben Rothwell (265) - Rothwell, SUB (gogo choke), R2 (3:48)
Iuri Alcântara (135.25) vs. Jimmie Rivera (135) - Rivera, DEC (unanimous)
Sage Northcutt (170) vs. Bryan Barberena (170) - Barberena, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:06)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Tarec Saffiedine (169.75) vs. Jake Ellenberger (170) - Saffiedine, DEC (unanimous)
Olivier Aubin-Mercier (155) vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira (156) - Ferreira, DEC (unanimous)
Kevin Casey (185.25) vs. Rafael Natal (185) - Natal, TKO (punches), R3 (3:37)
Dustin Ortiz (125) vs. Wilson Reis (126) - Reis, DEC (unanimous)
George Sullivan (171) vs. Alexander Yakovlev (171) - Yakovlev, KO (punches), R1 (3:59)
Alex Caceres (145) vs. Masio Fullen (145) - Caceres, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Matt Dwyer (169) vs. Randy Brown (171) - Brown, DEC (unanimous)
Levan Makashvili (145) vs. Damon Jackson (145) - DRAW (majority)
Tony Martin (155) vs. Felipe Olivieri (155) - Martin, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:02)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Ben Rothwell
Performance of the Night: Anthony Johnson
Fight of the Night: Iuri Alcântara vs. Jimmie Rivera

Attendance: 10,555
Gate: $818,000
Rating: 2.685 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Joaquim Silva vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier - Injury to Silva
Sage Northcutt vs. Andrew Holbrook - Injury to Holbrook

How is his chin? I don't think he can lay and pray without taking some severe punishment in the first few rounds much like DC managed. He's only been knocked out twice in pro fights, so there's a chance.

I wonder how Rumble's conditioning is after getting drained by Cormier's wrestling (and punching himself out).

Anyway, this is the least inspiring UFC card in a while and a pretty weak one for a Fox show.

Oh man, AJ is going to fuck Bader up pretty bad. Only thing I'm worried about is his cardio, but upon repeat viewings of his title bout, I want to believe that AJ got swept up in the moment and tried to go ham on Cormier leading to him gassing badly. 

Unless you're Jon Jones or a rangy striker like Gustafsson, Cormier has a very difficult style to deal with because he is an incredibly strong wrestler. I think the difference between the Davis fight and the Cormier fight is that Davis' takedown attempts were futile. It was like he was running into a brick wall. Phil Davis is a good wrestler and strong, but compared to many other guys around middleweight or light heavyweight, he isn't a good technical wrestler.

I think Bader is a better technical wrestler, but he hasn't been able to link up his striking with his wrestling ability until now. Even then, he really hasn't faced anyone who can return fire during his winning streak. You had OSP who has power, but his striking is so unorthodox that it makes his entire offensive skillset void if he doesn't KO you within a round and a half. Then, you had Rashad who really hasn't been Rashad Evans in a hot minute. When he completely waxed Chael was the last time Rashad even remotely looked decent as a fighter. Feijao really has looked anything but impressive in the UFC.

Not to diminish what Bader has done because he has improved as a fighter. It's that we know that Rumble has that firepower in great supply. With many fighters with good punching power, it only takes one. With Rumble, those small gloves, and Bader's chin/aptitude for running into punches, it only takes half a punch to do the job before the follow up. That's the troubling thing about Bader's chances.

I want Bader to win since DC can't duck him forever.

Um, you probably should be rooting against him then if you want to see Bader vs. Cormier. I have this strange feeling that if we see that fight, it ain't going to be for the world light heavyweight title.

I want Bader to win since DC can't duck him forever.

Um, you probably should be rooting against him then if you want to see Bader vs. Cormier. I have this strange feeling that if we see that fight, it ain't going to be for the world light heavyweight title.

my thoughts as well. i wish Cormier/Jones II happened first so i had a horse in this race. i'm super interested in Jones/Rumble and Cormier/Bader, but the reverse, not so much. 

Always liked Bader but don't see him taking this.

Seems to be about time for Kevin Casey to try his hand outside the UFC again.  That was just a battering by Rafael Natal.

Casey is one of those fighters who is not quite at UFC level, but somehow a monster on the regional circuit. I don't understand why he isn't in Bellator. He would be perfect for them. He will cut silly pre and post-fight promos and play up his gimmick. Just slide him right on the cards in Pechanga and San Diego. Easy as that.

• Like 1

This is my frustration with Ellenberger. Jake Ellenberger only has himself to blame for that loss. He was way too patient and had moments where he visibly hurt Saffiedine, but then lets him off the hook and recover. He just lacks some of that aggression he used to have. I mean he was moving forward and had the center of the cage, but he couldn't cut off the cage or throw strong combinations.

Drives me nuts that some fighters just look lost on how to cut off the cage and attack and throw combos.

Anyway, that's three losses in a row and 1-6 overall for Ellenberger in his last 7 fights. Do you keep him around or give him his release? Just not sure how you keep him on the roster with all these flat performances that he constantly loses.

Now to be perfectly honest, this could be the best thing for Sage Northcutt. We will see what he's really made of now. He lost a fight he was supposed to win. He got submitted. It was not controversial. Now we will see how he comes back from a humiliating defeat. That can make or break a fighter's career. Maybe he needed more prep time. maybe he needs to stay at 155 pounds for right now. These questions will get answered in time.

A lot of people are going to trash Sage now. He's going to take a lot of lumps. If he's good, he will survive this and come back a better fighter. Just saying, look at what critical losses did to people like Benson Henderson and Luke Rockhold. Those losses motivated them to becoming UFC champion. Not saying it will be the same for Sage, but you learn more about a fighter coming off a loss than a win.

Now to be perfectly honest, this could be the best thing for Sage Northcutt. We will see what he's really made of now. He lost a fight he was supposed to win. He got submitted. It was not controversial. Now we will see how he comes back from a humiliating defeat. That can make or break a fighter's career. Maybe he needed more prep time. maybe he needs to stay at 155 pounds for right now. These questions will get answered in time.

A lot of people are going to trash Sage now. He's going to take a lot of lumps. If he's good, he will survive this and come back a better fighter. Just saying, look at what critical losses did to people like Benson Henderson and Luke Rockhold. Those losses motivated them to becoming UFC champion. Not saying it will be the same for Sage, but you learn more about a fighter coming off a loss than a win.

If he wants to be successful, he has to get out of Katy, TX. That's just the truth.

• Like 2