DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For Feb 24 (Taped 1/22)

RIPPA

From WON

2/24 TV show:

Chad Gable & Jason Jordan beat Blake & Murphy

Apollo Crews beat Chris Girard (Biff Busick)

Tommaso Ciampa beat Bull Dempsey

Eva Marie & Nia Jax beat NXT Women's Champion Bayley & Carmella when Jax destroyed Carmella and allowed Eva to win

From PWI

Week 3

- American Alpha defeated Blake and Murphy.

- Apollo Crews defeated Chris Girard. (the former Biff Busick in his TV debut)

- Tomasso Ciampa defeated Bull Dempsey.

- Eva Marie and Nia Jax defeated Carmella and Bayley.

• 1 month later...

I dug the wrestling on this show. I thought American Alpha/Blake and Murphy was really fun. Blake and Murphy continue to shine in their heel control segments, and Jason Jordan is a wonderful fired-up hot tag. 

Biff Busick! Girard's running European uppercut was my favorite move of the night. I think Crews gives guys too much in these matches. I enjoyed it, though. 

The recap of the Bayley/Carmella aftermath made me realize how much I want to see Asuka/Nia Jax - almost as much as I want to see Asuka/Bayley, in fact. 

Ciampa/Dempsey was fine.

really want Joe to be champ come the end of the Dallas show. Dude is on fire in all regards. 

I dug the layout of the tag match, where Nia would get control and then Eva Marie would come in and fuck it up the first couple tags for them, and it fit in with Eva stealing Nia's pin at the end. Then, the callback to London with Carmella using the front facelock to escape a bearhug was nice. Also, Bayley moonwalked and is awesome.

I do feel like Nia's offense just isn't there yet. I'm not expecting her to do moonsaults Vader-style or anything, but she needs more moves like her bearhug, which I think looks good and allows her to ragdoll her smaller opponents. Some stuff, like her counter of Carmella trying to get a tag by just sticking her in the ropes, was disappointing. She should have done something like a spinebuster to counter that would have had some impact and been emphatic. 

I feel like Bo Dallas should have got the first shot at Finn since he's only about seven days behind Finn in terms of NXT Championship reign time. 

I couldn't stop laughing when Eva was in the ring. The main event was awful when Bayley wasn't in the ring, and that was most of the match. Busick is a good addition to NXT. Crews continues to do nothing for me. Joe is beasting in the ring and on the mic.

Joe is beasting in the ring and on the mic.

It was not that long ago that I thought he was done.  When Owens disappeared, I think he got despondent.  Was it Brooklyn where he turned it around?  And then that match with Ciampa was the tits.  Now I'm thinking the match I really want to see is Joe vs Shinsuke.

I think it was just him getting back in shape. The disappointing Owens match was taped not long after Joe's debut. Once he got his wind back he really started to turn the corner to becoming the Samoa Joe that was right there with guys like Bryan, Punk, and Styles 10 years ago.

I think it was just him getting back in shape. The disappointing Owens match was taped not long after Joe's debut. Once he got his wind back he really started to turn the corner to becoming the Samoa Joe that was right there with guys like Bryan, Punk, and Styles 10 years ago.

That Owens match felt like they were blatantly holding back for another match down the line, but then Owens got called up full-time and the priority became moving the title onto Finn, and Joe got left in limbo.

That kinda "false start" really hurt him early on, I think.

American Alpha vs. BAMF was fun, but every match they've ever had. Crews vs. Gerard was nothing. Bull vs. Ciampa was GLORIOUS COMEDY FROM START TO FINISH. The main event women's tag wasn't technically good, but I enjoyed Nia using solid psychology by pulling Eva closer to the corner for a tag and Eva being dickish to her partner to win it. I also like that title reign length in NXT doesn't just mean something in the short term - it's giving Neville something to do that can be presented as having some on-paper importance.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/02/wwe-nxt-2-24-16.html

Screens -

e2b641467330420.jpg  

d373e3467330493.jpg

2e8cfc467330545.jpg 

42c2bb467330354.jpg  

132e00467330856.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/tutar8lu2kj9drpq5ilccaztiiyrtijm

• Like 1

I've been in love with how JJ and Gable have been built.  It wasn't a sudden thing for them to be a top contender.  We went from them being nobodies barely getting on the show, to being a slapdash team that got over on sheer will.  Then started having solid work, THEN started beating all of the former champs.  We weren't beat over the head with "these guys are the new hotness".  We saw them work and gradually improve to where they are.  So fucking simple.  It's amazing that they can take two guys with really nothing working in their favor, and get them over like this.

Crews still isn't connecting. Everything he does is good but there's no physical charisma, his whole presentation is boring.

I know he's not tall, but with a physique like that he should be mowing over guys. He's selling too much. I think the selling is hurting him coming up with a crisp and well-defined moveset and routine with the crowd. He just seems stiff (not in a good way) and boring.

I loved that Baymella promo so much. It thread together so many things in about 30 seconds. Carmella doing her street-tough hothead bit with Bayley actually fanning her at one point was great and shows their dynamic so much -- Bayley beat Carmella because she has more poise and experience. And I love the weary "heavy is the head" look Bayley gave when Asuka was mentioned. She's got a lot on her plate and she can't even begin to think about dealing with that force of nature yet.

That security cam video of Dash and Dawson jumping Enzo coming in on a motorcycle was also cool as hell.

The main event was really friggin' great. Awesome storytelling.

I loved the whole thing. The first part w/ vengeful seeking Carmella taking to to Eva was awesome. Loved Bayley and Carmella taunting Eva after they got in some just licks on her. Nia being a ring general was boss -- just dragging Eva's dead weight into the corner and things like that. Loved her tossing Carmella around like a rag doll. She looked really good doing that. Bayley's awesome on the apron and an A+ hot tag. Awesome psychology with her just dominating Eva but Nia made the save for her team. Great ending w/ Eva dickishly making the pin after Nia did all the dirty work.

Amazingly laid out and well-told match.

My only gripe is obviously Eva. She's just getting heat and not putting it into the story. Nia had a reason for the trashtalk she was doing. Eva also stumbled around like a total idiot while waiting for Bayley to do the elbow from the ropes.

But I really dug this match a TON. Total blast and a keeper.

Jordan's hulk up spot is quickly becoming my favorite thing in wrestling. It's to the point where I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it. Dude is the best hot tag in WWE right now and I don't even think it's close. It's just so awesome to watch. He and Gable are going to have an incredible future.

HOOSIERS!

Other than that, this was the first time I've seen Busick and wow, what an awesome first impression. More of this guy PLEASE.

He's great and it's disappointing he's been debuted as an enhancement talent. He's a smash mouth, intense guy who makes his shit matter. He's really good at pacing and making the in-between moments count. I don't see him as a main roster player but I could see him doing very well in NXT.

His tope con hilo is so unique because it looks like he's completely out of control. Suits his persona perfectly. 

As much as I like Jordan and Gable, they badly need to start switching up their match formula from time to time. I'm sure it's more direction than lack of creativity on their part, but their matches might be the most predictable on the roster right now. I'd like to see Gable do some stuff on the hot tag once in a while, see if Jordan can sell at all, find new ways to get to their finisher, etc.

Not everyone can have a flashy debut. I'm fine with Girard and Ciampa starting as jobbers and slowly working their way up. Special debuts won't mean much if everyone gets one. Speaking of, I really want to see a Girard/Ciampa match at some point. Ciampa has been a low-key bright spot since his debut, and Girard looks like he's gonna fit right in.

Poor Neville, coming back in the "remember how promising your future looked a year ago" spot.

They've had some matches on the indies, including the PWG match where Ronda Rousey chopped Biff. They both have hit some insane moves on each other; the project Ciampa off the 2nd rope IIRC.

Oh! I finally found a gif (that's with a hard "G") of Biff's tope:

tumblr_ndkqo4O4Yf1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Not everyone can have a flashy debut. I'm fine with Girard and Ciampa starting as jobbers and slowly working their way up. Special debuts won't mean much if everyone gets one. Speaking of, I really want to see a Girard/Ciampa match at some point. Ciampa has been a low-key bright spot since his debut, and Girard looks like he's gonna fit right in.

The difference is that Ciampa is still just an Indy guy they bring in on occasion, whereas Busick is a full-time contracted WWE wrestler.

He totally would have deserved the complete hype package. They've been so good with those in the past.  I don't understand, why they just threw him out there in a nothing match.