DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For Feb 17 (Taped 1/22)

RIPPA

From WON

2/17 TV show:

Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady & Chad Gable & Jason Jordan beat NXT Tag Champions Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson & Blake & Murphy

Asuka beat Deonna Purrazzo

Tye Dillinger beat Alex Riley

Samoa Joe vs. Sami Zayn was a double pin draw. Zayn used the Helluva kick and then collapsed on top of Joe but his shoulders were on the ground as well. They will probably have a rematch at the next tapings on 1/27.

From PWI

Week 2

- Enzo Amore, Colin Cassady, and American Alpha defeated Blake, Murphy, Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder. 

- Asuka defeated Deonna Purazzo. 

- Tye Dillinger defeated Alex Riley.

- Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe ended in a draw due to a double pin. It is later announced that at Wednesday's NXT TV Taping at Full Sail, Joe and Sami will have a rematch. It will be a 2 out of 3 Falls Match to determine the number one contender to the NXT Championship.

• 3 weeks later...

Well TECHNICALLY I think that with both men down, it should have been a ten count to get back up, but I'm thinking the idea is that Drake started the count (likely on Joe) then realized Sami's shoulders were down too.

Anyway heck with technically, I got it right off, and it made perfect sense.

Fucking props to Joe for shifting his body at the last second to get Sami's left shoulder on the mat.  Someone less aware and it would have made the whole argument looks ridiculous.

It's really, really great to have Sami back. 

Jordon/Cass double hot tag was awesome, too.

Asuka is fucking terrifying. Jesus. She dresses like Lisa Frank designed her gear and fucking annihilates people. 

The Ferrari chick did her best. But man Asuka just toys with them and when they piss her off it's lights out. I don't want to see Bayley die. Please don't hurt Bayley, Asuka....Please.

Gable and Jordan's new Marty Jannetty singlets were bizarre - and that opening 8-man was just a blast. No real story - just tons of fun things happening in one match. Asuka got to kill Ferrari Girl, and that ankle trap German is perfect. Joe vs. Sami was very good, with Joe as a bully and Sami as a babyface in peril - so the story was perfect and the HBK/HHH double pin works far better than the old back suplex one. 

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/02/wwe-nxt-2-17-16.html

Screens - 

(cue Rockers theme)

1b5ff2465912660.jpg 

47c34b465912684.jpg 

9f591e465912701.jpg 

c6873b465912754.jpg 

02e6e8465912772.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/ti89b22f1et2blfkkpqxf535qjn8ylhs

So, having had who would be facing Finn at the pre-Mania show spoiled for me, I figured I knew how this would end.

Nope.

NXT is so great.

So you only know that and nothing else? Oh boy, are you in for a ride.

Praise be unto Rippa for separating the shows by future air date. I enjoy this show so much more not knowing what's happening.

Great show all around, but what I want most coming out of this episode is for a ten-minute Gable/Dawson singles match. 

My favorite sequence in any match was Perrazzo being shot into the corner, trying to counter with a middle-rope twist, and Asuka just standing there staring at her maneuvering around and then casually kicking her right in the stomach. 

Speaking of which, Corey Graves was on point last night. I laughed hard at his ripping of Alex Riley. If he can tone down the douchiness a bit towards his PBP partners and give the faces props at appropriate times (which he's been doing more of recently) AND call out heels when they're dumbasses, he has a huge ceiling as a commentator. 

And, yeah, I also dug the Jordan and Gable (can't bring myself to call them America Alpha, so bad) Steiner tribute tights. I prefer them to the WGTT tribute. 

Samoa Joe is back in a big way. Can't wait for what's to come.

So, having had who would be facing Finn at the pre-Mania show spoiled for me, I figured I knew how this would end.

Nope.

NXT is so great.

So you only know that and nothing else? Oh boy, are you in for a ride.

Praise be unto Rippa for separating the shows by future air date. I enjoy this show so much more not knowing what's happening.

I wish I had your level of self-control.  This weeks main event would have been SOOOO much better.  

This is really the perfect promotion to give the no spoiler thing a try.  Short episodes, rarely any truly skippable shows etc etc....

I might give it a shot.

Edit:  Oh yeah, the best part of NXT continues to be SAMOA JOE!  MARCH MADNESS HYPE!!!

I'll second the Graves love, too.  I'm didn't really like him at first, but he has found that perfect balance.  JBL tries to be a smart ass heel announcer, but regularly skips out on the first part.  Graves is actually clever about it.

In a perfect world Mauro/Graves would be the team on every show.  

I really hope we get a 2004-05 type of Samoa Joe title reign but with surly vet incarnation of Joe. Sure I'd love to see Joe in programs with the likes of Cesaro and Rusev on the main roster, but I'm not holding high hopes that it will go well for the flabby Samoan guy in his mid 30s on the main roster. But a Joe title reign in NXT be 1000x more fascinating than whatever the fuck Balor is doing. His promos are the shits and they haven't gotten better in the year he's been doing them in NXT at every taping. His matches haven't progressed to include more narratives or involve more emotion. The holes in his game when he entered developmental are still there a year and a half later.

I've been thinking about how Sami Zayn has been appointed by many (myself included) as the heir apparent to the Daniel Bryan spot in WWE. I don't know about that. He's great, don't get me wrong... He even sells better than Bryan ever did. But I think his personality is far more carefully constructed and there are clear barriers he's set up which Bryan Danielson clearly did not have. Bryan said and did whatever Bryan felt like regardless of whether or not it was the best thing for his career. No shields up at all. I found that remarkably compelling and was one of my favourite things about him. I think Bayley is way closer to that type of completely organic presentation, though not nearly as good in the ring as Zayn or Bryan (but still great and certainly could be one day).

In saying all that shyit, I would still love to see a Sami Zayn extended NXT title run too. Just get the fucking belt off Balor or have him turn heel with BALOR CLUBz or something. Better yet, have him lose himself to the DEMON 100% so we never have to hear him talk and he can go into a heel variant of '97 Sting. I can'ts take much more of Finn Balor, bland fighting champion, run.

I really liked Joe/Sami and they did the screwy finish about as well as they could have. Zayn is just such an amazing seller, and he was really laying in his shots on Joe. Another good performance from Joe who has been consistently awesome since getting back in shape. Asuka really kicked the shit out of poor Deonna lol. Enzo got up at least half a count before the 3 was made. I'll co sign on needing to see a Gable/Dawson singles match.