DVDVR Message Board

Them's Fightin' Words 2016 Predictions Contest

Elsalvajeloco

RULES:

1. You get five predictions. Your five predictions must be different from everyone else. In the case of someone posting duplicates, whoever posted it first will get it.
  2. Can't be super vague. (ex. a UFC belt will only be defended twice. However, the UFC middleweight title will switch hands twice is acceptable.) I am not going to try to figure out what you mean.
  3. Predictions of events that are pretty much a foregone conclusion will be automatically disqualified. Examples would be:

- Ronda Rousey will only fight once this year.

- Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier will fight the winner of Ryan Bader vs. Anthony Johnson for the UFC light heavyweight title

- A UFC show will be canceled/postponed/delayed/moved to another venue.

Basically, X will fight Y who we already know is lined up to fight for a title anyway . I will let you know if you posted something like that. Lets avoid that because it's boring TBH. Now if you altered one of the above examples to make it interesting, that would be acceptable. 

- Ronda Rousey will not fight in 2016 because she will be pregnant and on maternity leave/be offered another mainstream movie role/get injured in her return to training and delays the Holm rematch.

or

- Ronda Rousey will change her mind and end up fighting Holly Holm at UFC 200 because of _____________________________.

Those two would be deemed acceptable because that is not knowledge we already have. Remember, I will generally side with the more specific ones. 

If you make a prediction and/or alter one before the deadline that comes true, that will count unless I catch you making changes AFTER said thing has occurred. Then, your entire set of predictions will be thrown out for this year's contest.

First one to three or the closest to three correct predictions wins. The tiebreak, if needed, will be the UFC champions on January 1, 2017 (the day after the last UFC event of the calendar year). No two people can have the exact same champions at the end of the year. If the UFC moves an event to a later date, it will be the champions the day after the first event of 2017 with a title fight.

HW (265lbs):
LHW (205lbs):
MW (185lbs):
WW (170lbs):
LW (155lbs):
FW (145lbs):
BW (135lbs):
FlyW (125lbs):
Womens BW (135lbs):

Womens StrawW (115lbs):

2014 winner: grizzlyedwin

2015 winner: Hail Sabin

I will close the thread and save the predictions to a Word file after the weigh-ins for the UFC on Fox 18: Johnson vs. Bader ends. So that's January 29 at about 3:45 p.m. CST. Once I think of a halfway decent prize for winner, I will let you know.

Good luck.

Hey, I'm laughably bad at specific predictions (ie. who will win) so it stands to reason that I'm probably worse at this.

1. Holm defends title twice this year successfully, doesn't fight Rousey

2. Anderson Silva gets popped for something again

3. Rizin don't run another show this year

4. Sakuraba loses another sad, one-sided fight

5. At least two ONE FC champions jump to UFC (including Askren)

HW (265lbs):   Werdum
LHW (205lbs):   Jones
MW (185lbs):   Rockhold
WW (170lbs):  Hendricks
LW (155lbs):  McGregor
FW (145lbs):   Edgar
BW (135lbs):  Cruz
FlyW (125lbs):  Benavidez
Womens BW (135lbs):  Holm

Womens StrawW (115lbs)   Joanna

I realise 3 and 4 are kind of covering both bases. Is that allowed? Come on, 1 for 5!

When you say you can't have the same champions, does that mean you can't have an exact duplicate list, or that nobody can pick anyone previously picked? Because that kind of gives the first person to pick a massive edge. I'm assuming it means not duplicating the whole list.

1. A UFC Champion will be stripped for failing an out of competition drug test.

2. The Bisping vs Silva event will be the only UFC show in Mainland Britain.

3. Dominic Cruz vs T J Dillashaw will be Cruz' only fight in 2016.

4. At some point in the year, there will be no UFC belts held by Brazilians.

5. CM Punk will not win a fight in 2016.

HW (265lbs):   Verdum
LHW (205lbs):   Bader
MW (185lbs):   Rockhold
WW (170lbs):  Lawler
LW (155lbs):  McGregor
FW (145lbs):   McGregor
BW (135lbs):  Dillashaw 
FlyW (125lbs):  Johnson
Womens BW (135lbs):  Rousey

Womens StrawW (115lbs)   Jedrjeczek

Duplicate list. People can be picked more than once, but no one can have the same list of champions as a previous entry.

BTW, you can only list the legitimate champions. So no interim champions. If you think Cruz (or anyone else) will be the actual bantamweight champion, you can list him since your list isn't identical to Setsuna.

HW (265lbs): Miocic
LHW (205lbs): Jones
MW (185lbs): Rockhold

WW (170lbs): Condit
LW (155lbs): Dos Anjos
FW (145lbs): McGregor
BW (135lbs): Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Johnson
Womens BW (135lbs): Tate

Womens StrawW (115lbs): Gadelha

1. GSP will fight Anderson Silva in 2016

2. Rafa Dos Anjos gets injured and doesn't fight McGregor at first attempt

3. Wanderlei Silva fights in 2016

4. Sage Northcutt loses a fight in 2016

5. CM Punk fights Ken Shamrock in the UFC in 2016 

Gone for the ridiculous

Let's see if I can defend my crown!

1. Bobby Lashley will win the Bellator Heavyweight Title this year.

2. GSP will win the Welterweight title again

3. Rousey will beat Holm in the 1st round when they fight this year

4. King Mo will fight Phil Davis for the Bellator Light heavyweight championship this year

5. Joanna will finish Claudia when they fight in the rematch.

HW (265lbs): Mioic
LHW (205lbs): Jones
MW (185lbs): Rockhold
WW (170lbs): GSP
LW (155lbs): Conor
FW (145lbs): Conor
BW (135lbs): Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): DJ
Womens BW (135lbs): Rousey

Womens StrawW (115lbs): Joanna Champion

1. The UFC will run their first show in New York state in the final quarter of the calendar year.

2. Ronda Rousey will add a notable trainer or trainers to supplement her training with Edmond Tarverdyan.

3. There will be three title fights on the UFC 200 card.

4. Bilyal Makhov will medal at the 2016 Summer Olympic games in Rio.

5. Nick Diaz will win his first fight back in the UFC this year.

HW (265lbs): Jon Jones
LHW (205lbs): Daniel Cormier
MW (185lbs): Luke Rockhold
WW (170lbs): Robbie Lawler
LW (155lbs): Khabib Nurmagomedov
FW (145lbs): Conor McGregor
BW (135lbs): Dominick Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson
Womens BW (135lbs): Holly Holm

Womens StrawW (115lbs): Claudia Gadelha

I was having a hard time coming up with stuff but I'll throw something together.

1. CM Punk will win his UFC debut with a finish.

2. Michael Bisping will challenge for the middleweight title this year

3. Donald Cerrone will fight three times this year.

4. Joanna Jedrzejczyk will successfully defend her title twice this year

5. Alexa Grasso will become Invicta FC Strawweight Champion

HW (265lbs): Fabricio Werdum
LHW (205lbs): Jon Jones
MW (185lbs): Chris Weidman
WW (170lbs): Robbie Lawler
LW (155lbs): Conor McGregor
FW (145lbs): Conor McGregor
BW (135lbs): Dominick Cruz
FlyW (125lbs): Demetrious Johnson
Womens BW (135lbs): Holly Holm

Womens StrawW (115lbs): Joanna Jedrzejczyk

• 11 months later...

A quick looks tells me it's either you or Dreambroken depending on a few things.

2. The Bisping vs Silva event will be the only UFC show in Mainland Britain.     -     was this true? Can't be bothered to look but I'm guessing it is.

and

DreamBroken's

3. Donald Cerrone will fight three times this year.      -   oooooooh, did he just lose because Cerrone fights too often? Or does it still count because technically he did fight 3 times, plus one more time after that.

If both are counted it goes to your champion picks, I think.

I'm giving myself 1/5 for predicting that I'm laughably bad at picks (otherwise 0/5)

Edit : Reading the rules - it looks like DreamBroken regardless because he hit three first. Props on the no-Brazillian UFC champions pick. My New Years resolution -  be more good this year at predictions this year and less of a pessimist.

• Like 1

Bisping vs Henderson was in Manchester, so I was wrong. I was guessing that the next one would be in Ireland... which was sort of right because they did run Belfast this year. But Bisping winning the belt and getting a home title defence messed up my picks.

Congrats to DreamBroken. Does he hae to change his name to DreamComeTrue now?

• Like 1

Sweet, definitely didn't expect that! I love that Bisping not only challenged for the title, but won it and held on to it to end the year. Punk didn't get that finish, maybe next year I'll just pick him to get a win. Fun year of MMA for sure.