DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings (Airs 1/27/16)

RIPPA

Per WON

NXT for 1/27

Chad Gable & Jason Jordan came out with the new name American Alpha. they beat Blake & Murphy with the double team back suplex.

Nia Jax beat Liv Morgan.  Nia Jax & Eva Marie are together as a unit.

Alex Riley (first match back after knee surgery) beat Bull Dempsey

Elias Sampson beat John Skyler

Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin for the title shot saw Zayn put Corbin the sharpshooter and Joe put Corbin in the crossface. Corbin tapped out, but the question was who did he tap out to, which will lead to a Zayn vs. Joe singles match for the shot.

Per PWI

Week 3

- American Alpha  (Jason Jordan and Chad Gable) def. Blake and Murphy w/Alexa Bliss

- Nia Jax (w/Eva Marie) def. Liv Morgan 

- Alex Riley def. Bull Dempsey 

- Elias Samson def. John Skylar 

- Number 1 Contender Match: Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin ends in controversy. Sami had Baron locked in a sharpshooter on Corbin when Joe came in and locked Corbin in a crossface. Corbin tapped. Joe and Sami argued over who won. William Regal came out and discussed the issue with the competitors and the referee, but no decision was announced to the crowd.

• 3 weeks later...

Blake and Murphy have rounded into quite the awesome heel tag team. They have creative cheating spots and pinball around after the faces make their comeback. They also look like utter sleazebags. We shouldn't sleep on them because they have really come into their own. 

As far as American Alpha (ugh on that name), Jordan tossing dudes around and Gable doing sweet arm drags and headscissors and judo throws is just pretty to watch. I could watch them mat wrestle guys all day. So good. 

Some stuff happened (including a good video package, something that the main shows need more of) before Alex Riley showed up, which was a real bummer. Riley and Elias Samson should be put in a tag team so I can endure them both at the same time and get it over with. At least his promo gave some decent logic to his heel turn, though we already had it with his anger that everyone cheered for Owens over him.

Then fucking Elias Samson comes out after that, and no, I didn't read the spoilers, so I wasn't expecting Riley or Samson, and definitely not back to back. 

OK, that Hype Bros. promo made me chuckle. "BRO, STOP WATCHIN' ME SLEEP!" "Noooooot happening."

I enjoyed the punch-kick in the triple threat, but I ended up wishing that they would have done something different so we could get three one-on-one matches in a round robin instead of one triple threat. It's hard to have a good triple threat because there is too much laying around, and I like all these guys quite a bit in-ring at this point. Joe is so much better as a heel. His slaps are powered by hatred. 

Zayn needs to get a pinfall or two with that Blue Thunder Bomb so that it can actually be a convincing near-fall. Corbin's strikes are way better than five months ago. He's now a legitimately good striker, I think. I actually am sad that he took the fall because I wanted to see him wrestle Bálor one-on-one instead of what looks to be yet another triple threat. 

LOL at Sami saying, "Hey, I had him in the Sharpshooter and he tapped out" followed by Joe responding "It was a horribleSharpshooter and I had him in the crossface!" But man, I feel like this angle at the end didn't work, and I really wish that they went another direction with this. Like Corbin beating Zayn and crowing that he had now taken out two indy darlings and had his sights set on a third one. 

EDIT: Now I went back and read the spoilers at the top of this thread. 2 out of 3 falls to determine the #1 contender is WAY better than running a triple threat of Joe/Bálor/Zayn. Now I'm much happier about that finish. 

Last week's show wasn't amazing, but still better than this one. American Alpha's win was fun, and the main event was quite good. Nia vs. Liv was just terrible though. The main event could've been better - but I liked the non-finish since it did build up Sami vs. Joe perfectly, and Baron is the weak link of the chain that didn't look weak. It took two top guys to make him tap out.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/01/nxt-1-27-16.html

Screens -
b37547461833521.jpg

90a2ce461833545.jpg

3c1a9f461833564.jpg

Bow Down to the King of HHH Impersonators
6f06da461835024.jpg

84cdae461835027.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/m6minp53uiuza97h4ypukb6tsfb1154o

Triple threat was fun for what it was.  Corbin definitely looked like he belonged in there with the other two.  He also took some big bumps for Zayn that I wasn't expecting.  Joe cracked me up at the end.  It made sense for Sami to argue because he didn't see it, but Joe was clearly aware of what was going on and was just being a dick about it.  Solid heel work right there.

Also, yall just going to ignore how trash the crowd was for that ending segment? Like, the best wrestlers in the world are flying to your shit hole of a state to film TV and you chant "we can't hear you" when WILLIAM FUCKING REGAL is talking.  Get the fuck out of here with all that.

• Like 3