DVDVR Message Board

MILEY CYRUS THREAD OF DOOM

jaedmc

It's like reading all these deeper meanings into the works of Keats in school. Is it not possible that he just wrote some words down because they sounded good?

I had this exact same thought a lot in my English classes.  Lots of assigning deep meanings to stuff that could just have been an author writing down a story they thought was good.

The whole difference between black people stealing white culture and white people stealing black culture thing is probably a much more complex discussion than I have time to do right now, but it isn't an invalid point.  I'll just reiterate my point on the lack of context.  In general when white people steal a portion of black culture it seems to be done with a sense of novelty that doesn't really have an appreciation of the culture that bred the twerking, the gold grills, the rapping etc.  If a black kid does ballet for instance, they go to ballet practice, wear the unitard, and go through the same process a white person would if he or she would do ballet.  I find it hard to believe that Miley Cyrus was going to hip-hop clubs in the inner city and twerking, which is fine by me, but there is a difference.  You don't really hear complaints about people like Eminem who grew up in Detroit going around the city battling other rappers.  He obviously has an appreciation for the artform that he is paricipating in, and therefore you never hear anything about him misappropriating black culture. 

I will disagree on the point of when white people steal from black culture it's more a sense of novelty than appreciation when talking about grills and twerking.  There is no need for appreciation when it comes to grills and twerking.  These aren't sacred things that need to be revered.  They're silly and fun things that shouldn't have any qualifiers behind them.

This kind of proves my point.  Just because you or I don't appreciate grills, twerking or anything else doesn't mean that there isn't some part of some culture that has an appreciation for them.  I remember a kid I went to high school with who was offended by removable grills.  I didn't give a rat's ass one way or another, but he was legitimately upset.  Apparently in New Orleans it was some sort of faux pas to have gold teeth that weren't permanent. He was going on and on about how it was bullshit that people were wearing grills instead of getting permant caps.  The lack of context is what is offensive to people.

One could view some of the angst over Miley Cyrus as a conflict between makers and takers.  The black community builds up cultural capital, creating a vibrant hip-hop subculture.  While people come along and strip-mine that subculture, taking the superficial aspects of it.  White people, not black people, then become the ones who get the most fame and money out of it.  So, cultural appropriation becomes a matter of minorities complaining that "we built that" and whites are profiting without putting in any real work.

I don't think the issue is that grills and twerking is sacred or should be appreciated. In my eyes the issue is when a white person borrows these ideas to play up that they are now "controversial" or "dangerous" or being "naughty"

"Look how I am acting 'black' " seems to equal "Look how BAD I am now.."

I'm going to go ahead and stomp on some eggshells, because I've been biting my tongue on saying this all week... but why is it not ok for a white person to borrow elements from "black culture"?

She's borrowing stereotypes and not culture.  The ideas have become interchangable when really they aren't.

• 1 month later...

I THINK I'M IN LOVE!

Posted Image

Write 10 pages about that ya dorks!

This is not the right thread to post cosplay pictures of chicks dressing as Ayame from Dead Or Alive.

Oh, wait.  I didn't recognize Miley without her tongue sticking out.

I found the whole thing with Miley on VMA to be a ripoff of M.I.A.

I'm also surprised that if Miley really wanted to say 'screw it,' she would record an album of Belle & Sebastian, Jeff Buckley, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Scott Walker and other alternative indie acts' songs.

Her cover of "Lilac Wine" is surprisingly decent.

ROFLZ @ "Miley Does The Soundtracks Of Wes Anderson"

• 4 months later...

I THINK I'M IN LOVE!

BX4aJKtCYAASIUQ.jpg

Write 10 pages about that ya dorks!

Umm, how old is this photo?

ETA:  Never mind, I found it. Halloween 2013. I like the purple hair very much, and as mentioned above I am pleased to see for once she kept her tongue in her mouth.