DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Craig H said:

If NXT house shows were hard to get tickets for before, it's going to be damn near impossible now.

Correa_462_x_260-new.gif

If someone told me two years ago that in 2016 Joe would be WWE's developmental champion I might have believed them. But there is no way I would have ever believed that in 2016 Joe would have definition in his abs. 

• Like 4

I doubt Nakamura is in NXT long enough to get a title run. Though I'm sure we are all hoping Itami can get back into the ring before Nak goes to NY.

I would think that in an ideal scenario they build up to Nak vs Joe at their August Summerslam Takeover, with Joe going over. In the meantime they build someone like Gargano who has a good size following already in NXT and could realistically defeat by the Royal Rumble Takeover before Joe gets called up.

Finn moving up to the main roster helps the main roster and does not hurt NXT at all.  Nak will be there for a little while. You got guys like Manny ready to fill in.  Don't forget, some dudes will probably be getting signed out of the tournament they have coming up.  Also, there's interest in Ricochet, the list goes on and on and on.

So in Hunter's ongoing fantasy rebooking of Golden Age ROH, who gets the Punk role of midcarder who pushes Joe to the limit with a couple hour long draws? 

In this analogy, Balor is "Xavier with facepaint", which actually works surprisingly well. 

I think Nakamura will be down until Rumble time at the earliest, but if they fast-tracked him to the main roster, that would not surprise me. I bet they keep him down to get used to the schedule and, since he can speak decent English, work on his promos (which should be minimalistic anyway because of his mystique, but still, this is a promo company). 

Not that I think Nakamura needs the title at all, but I do think he'll get it. 

Manny Andrade is an upgrade on Finn Balor in every way other than English language speaking, ab definition, and Lego knowledge. Let Joe, Nakamura, and Sombra loose on NXT and things will be in-fucking-credible.

I don't think NXT is a conscious attempt to recreate ROH so much as good, simple wrestling angles will resemble past ones because they are good and simple.

In terms of pushing up the card, of the guys they've had on TV so far, really only Nakamura and Aries make any sense for contending with Joe. Andrade could, but they've gotta put some time into debuting him for TV.

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I doubt Nakamura is in NXT long enough to get a title run. Though I'm sure we are all hoping Itami can get back into the ring before Nak goes to NY.

I would think that in an ideal scenario they build up to Nak vs Joe at their August Summerslam Takeover, with Joe going over. In the meantime they build someone like Gargano who has a good size following already in NXT and could realistically defeat by the Royal Rumble Takeover before Joe gets called up.

I'd rather see The Drifter in a title program than Gargano. If he has anything to offer I've yet to see it in his NXT work. I'd also replace him in the team with Ciampa with Girard. Total pretend pro wrestler going through the motions nothing he does looks convincing to me. He has a long way to go to even be a threat to Joe.

Crazy that it happened on a house show, the end of the longest NXT Title reign. Very unexpected but a cool way to do it. Awesome moment for Joe, in the same city that he won the TNA title 8 years ago. Loved Balor's reign and looking forward to a hopefully fairly long Joe reign.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JRGoldman said:

So in Hunter's ongoing fantasy rebooking of Golden Age ROH, who gets the Punk role of midcarder who pushes Joe to the limit with a couple hour long draws? 

In this analogy, Balor is "Xavier with facepaint", which actually works surprisingly well. 

I'd like to see more matches between Joe and Tomasso Ciampa. I loved the one match they had already.

Who should dethrone Joe? Once again, Austin Aries. 

Ive only been checking in on NXT news sporadically since Takeover but have been watching some live event videos on Twitter and seeing the reactions Nakamura has been getting fills my heart with joy. I will mark the fuck out when he gets the call up to main roster.

Hopefully the main fanbase will receive him as well as the NXT one does.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I've been lukewarm on Aries so far.  He needs to be a complete asshole for me to like him.

I'm sure there are a host of therapists that would like to see you.

I can't see Aries being anything more than a stepping stone at this point.  Put him in a tag team with Roode and let them help these young guys get over.

Yeah, Bobby Roode and Eric Young are supposed to be on their way to NXT soon, and shouldn't Itami be back at any time? So that will help fill out the top of the card and contenders for Joe while other guys are built up in the meantime. With a developmental system, I guess things like this are bound to happen where the roster gets "raided" when all the guys get too good. We'll just have to see how this rebuilding process goes. It will be an interesting year.