DVDVR Message Board

2016 NXT GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Mojo's fine. I think he's a pretty good less-skilled version of early NWA Rick Steiner. He's a clueless lovable lunkhead. He's good working the apron and getting the crowd involved in tag matches. He and Ryder are both good at being hot tags. And I say that begrudgingly because I think Zach Ryder is the absolute worst. They're a perfectly fine tag team to job to The Wyatts or New Day or have a never ending series with The Ascension on Main Event. Just toss them out for 5-10 minutes, have Mojo do whatever, Ryder do the "Woo Woo Woo" and then have them eat a finisher and go home.

• Like 2

I think the only reason Mojo Rawley is still employed is his celebrity friend, who I ironically only know of because he's friends with Mojo Rawley.

You only know Rob Gronkowski because he's Mojo's friend?  That definitely qualifies as the "wrestling bubble".

Or the "not American" bubble, which is bigger than you might think.

I think the only reason Mojo Rawley is still employed is his celebrity friend, who I ironically only know of because he's friends with Mojo Rawley.

You only know Rob Gronkowski because he's Mojo's friend?  That definitely qualifies as the "wrestling bubble".

Or the "not American" bubble, which is bigger than you might think.

Hell, I had no idea. How many Germans would use the word, ironically?

I BARELY know what a Gronkowski is. I quit watching football a while back. Not a bubble thing so much as a "I don't like the NFL" thing for me.

So can someone give me a primer on Shinsuke Nakamura? I've seen some of his ring entrances and they're cool as hell. He has a sorta Japanese hip-hop thing going on in some photos I've seen. Looks like he's super charismatic and fun. Am I on the right track?

• Like 1

He was Antonio Inoki's pet project before he debuted and was supposed to reignite the old Strong Style mix of wrestling and martial arts. He was immediately overpushed, didn't have any idea of how to connect with the audience, was technically fluid and proficient, but the fans preferred Tanahashi as the next top guy. He also beat up some bums in MMA fights to prove how strong wrestling is and such (after losing to a Gracie). Flash forward a good 7 years, he turned heel and creates a heel stable, finds a personality and is instantly the most charismatic guy on the roster. He had also grown as a wrestler, so now you have an excellent in-ring guy with all the charisma you need to rule the world. He's been putting on some of the best matches in wrestling the past 5 or so years.

Check out his match with AJ from this year's dome show (though the first half isn't much to write home about) and his match with Ibushi from last year's dome show (lots to write home about). He rules and will be great in NXT. How he fares on the main roster is the $64,000 question.

• Like 1

I'm trying to think of ways they could screw up Nakamura. Dude is pretty much an untouchable combo of charisma and in ring ability. The reason I think he'll translate to WWE really well is his selling. From what I've seen Nak has great body language and facial expressions.

• Like 1

I'm on my phone so I can't grab them now but someone translated Tenryu's thoughts on Nakamura and him being a success in the WWE.

Basically Tenryu thoughts are that as long as Nakamura learns even just basic English slang that is the last factor as he can wrestle and his charisma will win anyone over and as long as he is doing basic English that will connect with American fans.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're going to have to work really, really hard to fuck up Nakamura. I have no doubt the current creative team can pull it off, because Ye Gods they are terrible, but they're going to have to actively try to sabotage him for this to not work out. If they are ever going to have a Japanese wrestler as a top guy, it's Swagsuke or bust.

• Like 1

I concur. How long has TE have anyone that came out of it worth a shit? The Miz was the last one I believe. Sure ODB and Morrison made out okay at the end (though they were both eliminated), but I can't think of anyone else post the first second.  I hope these two girls work out as NXT is fucking STACKED as shit down there with the female talent. WWE can easily afford to cut 3-5 women and not even feel it.

That was Amanda she's on Total Divas now,  I think... she should be on this new season but I haven't watched it.  This is Sara Lee and if anyone watched Tough Enough they used to get really pissed off at her because she was smiling all the time in matches/promos so either she still does it or maybe they've made it a gimmick lol

12479109_796675800477028_1024156796_n.jp

I concur. How long has TE have anyone that came out of it worth a shit? The Miz was the last one I believe. Sure ODB and Morrison made out okay at the end (though they were both eliminated), but I can't think of anyone else post the first second. I hope these two girls work out as NXT is fucking STACKED as shit down there with the female talent. WWE can easily afford to cut 3-5 women and not even feel it.

Kenny King has done ok for himself.

It's interesting that Amanda and Sara have both made their in-ring debuts and Josh and ZZ haven't.

Of course the women haven't given the WWE the various headaches that the men have.

So can someone give me a primer on Shinsuke Nakamura? I've seen some of his ring entrances and they're cool as hell. He has a sorta Japanese hip-hop thing going on in some photos I've seen. Looks like he's super charismatic and fun. Am I on the right track?

Yep.

Matches I recommend:

vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7.

vs. Kota Ibushi. NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Four.

vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 8.

vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW G1 Climax 25 Final.

vs. Kota Ibushi. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9.

vs. AJ Styles. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10.

For what it's worth, I gave ***** to the Wrestle Kingdom 7 and 9 matches. Need to watch the G1 Climax 25 and Wrestle Kingdom 10 matches again to see if they get the full five.

Bonus:

• Like 1