DVDVR Message Board

A Video Game Deal Thread (All Systems)

RIPPA

There is a very good Easter sale on the UK PSN store at the moment.

It's one of those rare times when the digital versions of some games are cheaper on the UK PSN store than physical copies. I'll probably pick up the season pass for Arkham Knight and i'm tempted by a couple of others. There are a bunch of games around the £6-£10 price point. Having never played any of the Battlefield games i might grab Battlefield 4 for £8.

I just wish the PS4 had a bigger hard drive or that Sony would support external hard drives. I don't really want to take the thing apart to put in a 2TB but it's hassle deleting and re-installing things all the time. That, and the usual ridiculous PSN prices are why i tend to stay away from digital. 

I picked up Dark Chronicle, Tropico 5, Tearaway and Worms Battleground. Probably a tenner more than I set out to spend, but oh well.

For Free I definitely will play Sunset Overdrive (and I will give Wolf Among Us a shot though I feel like I remember Mark hating it)

And JT - you no longer have an excuse to not play SR4 now

If I had a PS4, I'd be super happy to play Zombi. Always heard it was an underrated game. I should just pick up the WiiU original at some point. 

The he rest of this, though? Especially in comparison to GWG? Yeesh

I am generally disappointed by the PS+ freebies, but Sony doesn't really need to change things up at this point.  They have a healthy margin over XB1 and PS+ is needed to play online. Also the PS4 library is still not very deep.

Zombi was actually pretty fun on the Wii U.  At least it is not yet another self-important indie puzzle/platformer with "retro" graphics and a quirky control scheme.

51 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

I am generally disappointed by the PS+ freebies, but Sony doesn't really need to change things up at this point.  They have a healthy margin over XB1 and PS+ is needed to play online. Also the PS4 library is still not very deep.

Just because they have a margin doesn't mean they can't put an AAA title out for free. When was the last time they did that?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Just because they have a margin doesn't mean they can't put an AAA title out for free. When was the last time they did that?

A lot of people consider Zombi to be one.

Before that, Injustice was the last ps4 AAA title.  The PS3 has gotten a ton of them.

I've always wondered what counts as a 'AAA' release in these situations? It seems that people tag them AAA releases as long as they've been produced by a major company and had a disc release rather than just digital. Quality doesn't seem to come into it but seems like that should be a major part of calling a title 'AAA'.

I've had my PS4 (and PS+) for 16 months now, I think Zombi would be the 4th game that meets that criteria. Injustice: Gods Among Us, Infamous First Light and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes have all been up for free in that time.

At this point, I don't mind keeping my Plus account, because they do typically give some good freebies on PS3 and it's helping me catch up on games that I never got around to buying.  If I JUST had a PS4, I'd probably cancel it, since I don't play online anyway.

On 3/24/2016 at 0:19 PM, RIPPA said:

For Free I definitely will play Sunset Overdrive (and I will give Wolf Among Us a shot though I feel like I remember Mark hating it)

And JT - you no longer have an excuse to not play SR4 now

I should be done with Watch Dogs just in time to delete it and download SR4 and beat it in order to stop the moaning and nagging once and for all.

15 hours ago, Basara said:

I've always wondered what counts as a 'AAA' release in these situations? It seems that people tag them AAA releases as long as they've been produced by a major company and had a disc release rather than just digital. Quality doesn't seem to come into it but seems like that should be a major part of calling a title 'AAA'.

I've had my PS4 (and PS+) for 16 months now, I think Zombi would be the 4th game that meets that criteria. Injustice: Gods Among Us, Infamous First Light and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes have all been up for free in that 

I don't count First Light or Zeros since neither one is a full game.

20 hours ago, The Z said:

There's a pretty awesome Telltale bundle at Humble Bundle right now, that has pretty much everything you could want including both Walking Deads, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us, Back to the Future etc.

Totally worth it, if you're into that sort of game.

I usually don't do them because I have yet to get a decent gaming rig, but I may do this one and just have it stored for when I do.