DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

WWE pays a flat rate of $500 per hour of footage so I can imagine 14 years of footage can add up to that amount.

Czw wants $500 per MINUTE.(that's what they quoted me at least) These people are out of their fucking minds. If TNA could point to past value, I'd buy the price point, but come on. If nearly no one watched it in the first place, the idea that is worth anything close to regular rates is laughable. WWE should offer as little as possible. Hell let Fight have it. In 5 years when they've run it to death, they'll unload it super cheap.

25 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Czw wants $500 per MINUTE.(that's what they quoted me at least) These people are out of their fucking minds. If TNA could point to past value, I'd buy the price point, but come on. If nearly no one watched it in the first place, the idea that is worth anything close to regular rates is laughable. WWE should offer as little as possible. Hell let Fight have it. In 5 years when they've run it to death, they'll unload it super cheap.

The only reasons it's remotely worthwhile to WWE are:

• because it's more content fodder for the Network;
  • because it lets them continue to try to possess all of wrestling history;
  • because it can be used on DVDs for guys they've brought in like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles, which could directly make them a lot of that money back, depending on sales

It's a good deal for WWE, and that's assuming they can *also* get at least licensing rights to the TNA trademarks that would be on that library.  If not, it's as good as useless unless you want to see a giant blur on screen.

3 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The only reasons it's remotely worthwhile to WWE are:

• because it's more content fodder for the Network;
  • because it lets them continue to try to possess all of wrestling history;
  • because it can be used on DVDs for guys they've brought in like Samoa Joe and AJ Styles, which could directly make them a lot of that money back, depending on sales

It's a good deal for WWE, and that's assuming they can *also* get at least licensing rights to the TNA trademarks that would be on that library.  If not, it's as good as useless unless you want to see a giant blur on screen.

Never even thought about the trademarks aspect.

I get that it's more content, but with demand so low in the first place, and the possibility of Fight oversaturating it, it's value seems very unlikely to raise. Sure it's nice to have now, but the longer the WWE waits, the less they will have to pay. I mean imagine if it changes hands again and gets even worse ratings. Sadly, given their history, we can't say that is unlikely.

DVD sales have sank in general.

That is why movie companies made such a big stink and delay their movies to like Netflix and Red Box.

They are trying to force people to go out and buy DVDs instead of waiting to rent or stream

• Like 1

And in regards to specific WWE DVDs - the last time they released numbers (at least that I can find)

Best Sellers between Aug 2014 - May 2015

* Slam City – 119,000

* WrestleMania 31 – 92,000

* The Best of Sting – 88,000

* Attitude Era Vol. 2 – 83,000

* John Cena's Greatest Rivalries – 62,000

* John Cena's Greatest Rivalries 

"Can John Cena defeat the GREATEST THREAT EVER TO HIS TITLE!?"

"Oh, wait. Turns out he can. Yet again."

I haven't seen the DVD but I vaguely imagine this is how it ends up. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Reed said:

"Can John Cena defeat the GREATEST THREAT EVER TO HIS TITLE!?"

"Oh, wait. Turns out he can. Yet again."

I haven't seen the DVD but I vaguely imagine this is how it ends up. 

I'd rather watch a test pattern. If it's Christmas, I'd watch the yule log first.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

DVD sales have sank in general.

That is why movie companies made such a big stink and delay their movies to like Netflix and Red Box.

They are trying to force people to go out and buy DVDs instead of waiting to rent or stream

Here's a much simpler solution: Drop the price of DVDs!!  Seirously, I still like to buy DVDs of movies I enjoy, but to go out and buy them when they come out and are (at least in Canada) between $20-25 for DVDs and $25-30 for Blu-Rays, why would anyone buy brand new DVDs?!  Especially when they almost oversaturate the market and drop by 40-50% within 6 months. Bring them out at $10-20 and they'll sell better.  Seems simple to me.

Walmart always has WWE DVDs at reasonable prices. All the old sets with multiple discs are going or already went for pennies on the dollar. The most expensive set I bought from there was the NXT set (which I still need to finish, dammit) for $20. Then again, there are some ripoffs, like the WCW set with only the documentary disc. 

This is if you want to patronize Walmart at all which I advise against, but hey, cheap discs are my weakness. That damn $5 bin

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And in regards to specific WWE DVDs - the last time they released numbers (at least that I can find)

Best Sellers between Aug 2014 - May 2015

* Slam City – 119,000

* WrestleMania 31 – 92,000

* The Best of Sting – 88,000

* Attitude Era Vol. 2 – 83,000

* John Cena's Greatest Rivalries – 62,000

Is it not weird to anyone else that the best seller on this list was something that was a Network exclusive? Then again, you can buy S1 for less than the cost of a Network subscription - it's under $6. I imagine it wasn't too much higher when it was originally released, since it's marketed towards children, only one disc and the runtime is just an hour long.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is if you want to patronize Walmart at all which I advise against, but hey, cheap discs are my weakness. That damn $5 bin

I broke my cat litter box scooper last week. I picked up a new one at Walmart for $1.07. Walmart is ok if you can get in and out quickly. I was on my way to see Shin Godzilla, so time was of the essence.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Is it not weird to anyone else that the best seller on this list was something that was a Network exclusive? Then again, you can buy S1 for less than the cost of a Network subscription - it's under $6. I imagine it wasn't too much higher when it was originally released, since it's marketed towards children, only one disc and the runtime is just an hour long.

Too be fair - it is a kid's show so I have a feeling a lot of it is "gifts for kids" type things

The thing w the tna library is most of the stuff was on free tv and wrestling fans went out of their way to avoid it in the first place. Hell, anything worth seeing is just sitting on YouTube.

The other major non wwe libraries, whether it's the territories, the modern indies or the international content all contain things that would interest today's wrestling fans but few people have seen them.

That being said, I read yesterday that Netflix is paying $16 million per episode to produce its original series the get down. You would think a streaming service would chuck a couple million for over a decade of content they would own

• Like 1

It was mentioned here in passing on the last page, but the last Prichard show is pretty good with regard to shady TNA stories.  To elaborate a little better on the paycheck thing that was said here:

Prichard was working for TNA and was having his paycheck garnished (in the simplest terms, it's the kind of thing that happens when you owe back taxes, aren't paying child support, things like that -- the government has the employer take money from your check and give it to them directly).  This kind of thing shows up on the withholding on your paystub.  It's right there.  So after a long period of time where garnishments were being taken out of his check, the government comes knocking.  Seems they weren't receiving the payments and he owed them like $10,000.  He showed them the paystubs and the government went to TNA to get the money.  

Because they had not, in fact, sent it to them.  The scumbags they are, they were garnishing his check and keeping the money.  Holy fuck.

• Like 3