DVDVR Message Board

2016 TNA General Thread

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Vanguard I just followed me on Twitter.  This isn't really relevant to anything, but I got a kick out of it.

If it likes you enough, it can initiate Poison Mist Attack on Twitter trolls for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not so sure how fast Kurt would have seen through Dixie. I guess one would have a shorter leash with someone in a strictly business relationship. I think Kurt saw through Courtney's shit, but it was too late. I'm a firm believer in the theory that Kurt was going to divorce her and quit Nirvana, so she had him murdered.

If I'm not mistaken, in the excellent Heavier Than Heaven bio, Charles Cross reveals that Cobain had split up the band less than a month before his death, but it never got out to the public.

Hey, who wants to engage in some mindless speculation about what embarrassing details Corgan knows about TNA?  I would not be he least bit surprised to find out that Dixie rehired Russo again.  Or that she bought some of Jarrett's gold.

1 minute ago, DTTW said:

So let me make sure I got this straight. Dixie fucked up everything and Fight Network wants to keep her involved, while paying hush money about how terrible she is...Jesus.

Makes you wonder if Fight Network's got some skeletons in the closet, too....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Makes you wonder if Fight Network's got some skeletons in the closet, too....

No...it reminds me of someone talking about Dusty and how there's always a network executive out there that can be conned.

• Like 2

The way Meltzer was explaining it was TNA makes up a decent chunk of Fight Network programming and they are afraid of losing it - especially the tape library which apparently they planning on running forever

32 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Hey, who wants to engage in some mindless speculation about what embarrassing details Corgan knows about TNA?  I would not be he least bit surprised to find out that Dixie rehired Russo again.  Or that she bought some of Jarrett's gold.

Well, in my neighborhood if there is a store that stays open seemingly forever with little to no business, it's assumed its some kind of front. Dixie is the perfect false figurehead for an illegitimate business. Everyone assumes she's wildly incompetent so even the most ridiculous of stories seem possible. Meanwhile, the true businesses activities go under the radar and largely undetected.

If I were told that Dixie was traveling to Estonia to meet with foreign investors about a syndication deal that would save the company, I'd probably believe it.

If I were told that the secret investor of the last round of tapings was a French hamburger chain, I'd probably believe it. 

Perhaps Billy has learned the shocking truth...that TNA is actually a front for an illegal ivory trading ring.  it would make more sense than its current existence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

So let me make sure I got this straight. Dixie fucked up everything and Fight Network wants to keep her involved, while paying hush money about how terrible she is...Jesus.

I think the more appropriate reaction would be this:

Image result for jeezus zandig

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The way Meltzer was explaining it was TNA makes up a decent chunk of Fight Network programming and they are afraid of losing it - especially the tape library which apparently they planning on running forever

I'd say, by a quick guestimate, they get at least about 12 hours a week out of TNA programming.  They run Impact Thursday night, followed by a repeat, then again on Monday, followed by a repeat.  They also air TNA's Greatest Matches at least twice a week.  And Xplosion airs on the weekend and is re-played, as well.  I'm surprised they're all that concerned, honestly.  As long as TFW has rights to previously-run UFC PPVs, that makes about half of their programming for the week, as well as recaps of UFC and discussions of UFC.

It seems like it would be much cheaper to just give money to ROH to create a second show.  Or buy Lucha Underground off TLN.  Heck, they could probably start a Canadian fed and run that for cheaper than what it would probably cost to buy off Corgan.

In other words, this whole situation is weird.

9 hours ago, caley said:

BTW, can anyone/has anyone explained the Team X Gold concept going on right now?  Are they just a series of 6-man X-Division matches? Is this leading to a title or something?  Matthews said before the commercial break on the first episode to feature it that they would have more on it later, but actually had less on it later unless I fastforwarded something?  Anyone?

As far as I can tell, it's mostly just a trios division for reasons unknown. Basically the trio teams will be competing together regularly in six man tags. And there is supposed to be a strict enforcing of the rules as far as tags, who is legal, etc.

This "embarrassing secret" that everyone is trying to keep sealed had better be something really horribly sleazy like the comic book version of Preacher's Odin Quincannon, a little bald man who would sneak off to have sex with a giant mannequin made of pieces of raw meat.

Like, Billy Corgan walked in on Dixie and a dildo blender strapped to a life-size Vince Russo poster.

• Like 2

I guess what's harder for me to believe is that TNA was as profitable as Meltzer claims back in 2014.  I think I'd really need to see the books to believe that.  I guess having been on Spike TV nearly 10 years had paid off in some ways?  I recall when TNA first joined Spike TV, they weren't paying for the air time, but they weren't getting a cut of the ad revenue either.  At least that was a step up from FSN where they were paying for all that air time.  

But if the company was that profitable and for Dixie Carter to squander a company that was thriving like she did to have Vince Russo on staff, that's pretty despicable.  

Another part of this story is that when the company was evicted for nonpayment of rent for its offices in Cummins Station and had to move earlier this year, it never filled out a forwarding address form to the post office. It appears that was so any bills and mail would be returned as undeliverable.

Has to be the funniest part, because that is EXACTLY the kind of shit regular people -- not even supposedly professional companies -- do when they owe money on a rental and split town. Wonder if Dixie changed her phone number, too. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DTTW said:

Isn't there some sort of Canadian broadcast must have x amount of Canadian content laws?

I think they get around this by airing lots of stuff like 'Fight News Now', 'MMA Meltdown' and they have a series called 'Retrospective' where they interview wrestlers and MMA fighters and I believe all those are Canadian-produced.

And here's the exact amount of TNA on Fight Network in a week.
MON: Impact (2 hours), Xplosion (1 hour), 
TUE: TNA Epics (1 hour), 
WED: TNA Epics (1 hour)
THU: Impact (2 hours), TNA Wrestling's Greatest Matches (1 hour), Impact (2 more hours), Greatest Matches (1 more hour)
FRI: Impact (2 hours), Greatest Matches (1 hour), Impact (2 hours), 
SAT: Impact (2hours), Xplosion (1 hour), 
SUN: Greatest Matches (1 hour), Epics (1 hour), Xplosion (1 hour)
So, all told, they get 22 hours out of TNA footage in a week.  It turns out I greatly underestimated just how many times they show Impact! (Yet they only replay CMLL once! Once! In a week! And they run it against Smackdown, and not again til Sunday up against the early NFL games).

This is much more then they get out of other wrestling promotions: ROH (7 hours),  CMLL (2 hours), AAA (3 hours), NJPW (6 hours) so it is a big part of their programming, though not as big as losing UFC which I'd estimate makes up the predominant amount of their programming (Between Oct. 24 and 30th, they will air UFC: It's Time 6 times with a 3 hour run time for a grand total of 18 hours, and that's not even factoring the other UFC PPVs they show, UFC recaps, UFC news, UFC press conferences and UFC weigh-ins that are all shown and repeated).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not so sure how fast Kurt would have seen through Dixie. I guess one would have a shorter leash with someone in a strictly business relationship. I think Kurt saw through Courtney's shit, but it was too late. I'm a firm believer in the theory that Kurt was going to divorce her and quit Nirvana, so she had him murdered.

In order to kill your husband, cleverly stage it as a suicide, obtain all his money and get off scot free from the justice system you need certain qualities:

1) High intelligence

2) A focused, clear mind

3) An ability to keep you mouth shut.

Courtney Love has literally none of these qualities, bro.    

Not to mention: if your husband is a suicidal heroin addict, is there much point to arranging his murder? I mean, he's gonna do it himself anyway. Why risk it?

For the record, I know this has nothing to do with wrestling, but it's a subject I've always felt strongly about. 

• Like 6

To bring it back to the wrestling topic: Dixie truly is just a brat and all-around awful person. Even now it's not about the company or the wrestlers or what's best for everyone; it's about her

Check out what Jesse Sorensen had to say about her after his accident:

Jesse's mom: "I'm worried about my son..."

Dixie: "You mean 'our son.'

She later refused to pay his medical bills, let the mom go bankrupt because of them and fired Sorensen from his office job. 

I don't want to use the term "psychopath" but,um, well,... 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reed said:

To bring it back to the wrestling topic: Dixie truly is just a brat and all-around awful person. Even now it's not about the company or the wrestlers or what's best for everyone; it's about her

Check out what Jesse Sorensen had to say about her after his accident:

Jesse's mom: "I'm worried about my son..."

Dixie: "You mean 'our son.'

She later refused to pay his medical bills, let the mom go bankrupt because of them and fired Sorensen from his office job. 

I don't want to use the term "psychopath" but,um, well,... 

I'll give you Dixie is probably a terrible business person, who at least understands you have to be cut throat at times, but her not paying up because two guys screwed up a move is hardly grounds for thinking she's a psyco. Hiring Russo after being explicitly told not to, combined with looking at his last tenure and it's output, speaks way more volumes about her impaired mind.