DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, El Ken Erico said:

Tiffany "Time Bomb" Van Soest signed with Invicta and Glory (Or Fight Pass?). She will make her Glory debut in May.

Sucks what happened with Lion Fight. She may as well double down and try to get paid as much as possible. 

Another female fighting note:

espnW is reporting that Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Pena is now official for UFC 200.

• Like 1

Follis was pushing for Tate to defend the title right after UFC 196 on The MMA Hour.  He said he would rather Tate stay active and fight at UFC 200.

From an economic standpoint it makes sense.  Tate just re-upped with UFC and probably signed a lucrative contract.  Follis will probably get a nice payday if his fighter competes at UFC 200.

On 4/7/2016 at 9:03 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

That must've been the other of the two female bouts on UFC 200. Pena/Zingano should be announced soon.

It's official now.

and Tate was offered a rematch with Holm at 200, but she opted for Nunes instead. Holly's manager says Tate went with the "weaker choice", Tate says UFC presented the two options to her with Nunes being their preferred option, and Tate's manager says the Holm rematch was never actually discussed. So, who knows.

So Aaron Pico lost at the Olympic trials last night, thus basically bringing his shot at being at the 2016 Rio games to an end. He can either try his hand at MMA with Bellator or start his campaign for 2020.

MMAFighting.com ‏@MMAFighting  57s57 seconds ago

UFC VP James Elliott says the promotion will hit Germany and the UK again before the end of the year. Possibly back to Poland in 2017.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

So Aaron Pico lost at the Olympic trials last night, thus basically bringing his shot at being at the 2016 Rio games to an end. He can either try his hand at MMA with Bellator or start his campaign for 2020.

In addition to Pico, Ed Ruth didn't qualify for the 2016 Olympics. Based on what he is saying on Twitter, looks like his competitive wrestling days are over and will be moving to MMA full time.

Oh shit, he died? I was just reading about how he was hospitalized. 30 minutes later I'm reading be died. 

Conor thought it was because the ref didn't stop the match soon enough. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I wonder if BJ sues the former staffer for slander and/or libel.

Probably not. Ike Epstein said although he's cleared, the UFC reserves their right to re-evaluate the matter pending any new info. So it's best just to let this whole thing disappear.

On 4/12/2016 at 8:13 AM, Craig H said:

Oh shit, he died? I was just reading about how he was hospitalized. 30 minutes later I'm reading be died. 

Conor thought it was because the ref didn't stop the match soon enough. 

And people have the nerve to get on Herb Dean for early stoppages.  Herb should be the ref in all UFC main events because he does not let fighters allow their warrior's pride to get them brain damaged.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's always better to stop a fight early than too late.

I agree, but people complain either way, its a lose-lose for the referees. But their #1 concern should always be fighter safety, unfortunately it isn't always. Not that they have evil intent but I've seen main event and championship matches I think weren't called because the referee felt internal pressure to not stop a title match early and piss off the promotion/fans. But they are only human, the rules aren't 100% set on when a match should be stopped (or are vague) and anything that is left up to a person's judgement will always be second guessed.

• Like 1

You have to take into account low level vs. high level. Yeah, you're gonna need someone like Big John McCarthy to ref Lawler/MacDonald II because these are two fighters who know how to dish out damage in large quantities. As a result, that stoppage was the result of something entirely different than what you see on the regional levels.  I remember when Jordan Breen was talking about the kickboxer guy from Roufusport who died not too long ago. I thought he made an honest and sincere point. Everyone was quick to assign blame to Scott Cushman (his trainer), the referee, the organization that put on that kickboxing match, the venue for not being friendly to injured fighters, and the people who provided medical care after the fact. However, when you look at the footage, it just looks like a green kickboxer with very poor technique which is the norm for amateur and regional fights. It's easy to go and break down footage of bad footwork and sluggish movement after someone is critically or fatally injured. However, on the regional levels, how many people or officials are looking for tell-tale signs of someone who is badly in need of help?

Yeah, in Nevada, you would expect people to be professionals and know what to do because everyone who is anyone in combat sports goes through the state of Nevada. How many folks other than a Herb Dean, who manages to be somewhere different and exotic every Friday and Saturday, is going to the middle of Ireland, southeast Brazil, or Scandinavia? Even then, they can't ref every fight. That's what the local yokels are for. People like John Sharp and Eduardo Herdy who everyone despises when they do UFC shows are doing these type of shows on a regular basis.

• Like 1