DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Ufc 200 will sell itself. I would save gsp and punk for another ppv.

Rda said he would like to fight Robbie. That should be the main event.

Welcome to DVDVR, Ali. Enjoy your stay.

But seriously, their plan isn't to let UFC 200 just be some card on the schedule and let people assume that it's a big card. RDA would fight Lawler if either one could sell a million easy like Ronda or Conor, and it actually made sense in terms of matchmaking. Since he doesn't command that respect, RDA still has business at lightweight to handle. They got opponents for him. It just comes down to all parties staying healthy enough for those fights to happen.

I'm thinking the winner of the main event in Tampa will challenge RDA on the Fox show in July. It makes the most sense.

RDA said he would like to fight Robbie. That should be the main event.

riiiiight. all Dos Anjos needs to do is defend his belt about 10 more times until he's cleared out the congestion of Lightweight contenders. seriously. the champion of the most stacked division of the UFC should not be weight jumping.

he's got a loss vs. #2 ranked Khabib.

he hasn't fought the #1 (Alvarez) or #4 (Ferguson) contender.

and he also hasn't fought #6-8 or the #10 contender

• Like 1

Bellator has signed Matt Mitrione. Bellator sent him an offer a few weeks ago, and I guess UFC decided not to match it.

The UFC has signed 5-0 heavyweight prospect Curtis Blaydes. He holds a win over Bellator vet Lorenzo Hood. He's replacing Bojan Mihajlovic against Francis Ngannou on the Zagreb. So it's basically explosive heavyweight prospect versus another explosive heavyweight prospect.

Bobby Green is returning to fight Dustin Poirier on the UFC 199 card.

• Like 1

I think Anderson really needs to go to a bigger MMA camp. He's a good athlete who basically can't channel his athleticism for anything good unless it's against a no hoper.

That reminds me...when the hell is Jonathan Wilson coming back? If UFC 196 told us anything, it's that the light heavyweight division needs all hands on deck.

UFC Tonight @UFCTonight 1m1 minute ago

Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne in the works for UFC 200 (per @arielhelwani) http://foxs.pt/1VdQdDH

UFC Tonight @UFCTonight 8m8 minutes ago

UFC is exploring the possibility of @criscyborg fight at UFC 198 (per @arielhelwani)

UFC Tonight @UFCTonight 7m7 minutes ago

UFC denied Rafael dos Anjos' bid for Lawler or Diaz at UFC 200 (per @arielhelwani) http://foxs.pt/1nPCl53

That's two UFC 200 slots down...maybe three if Punk is healthy enough.

• Like 2

Why not book Dos Anjos vs. Diaz at UFC 200?

I didn't see the broadcast, but apparently, they have other plans.

Anyway, the thing is....everyone is not going be on UFC 200. Right now, I believe Dos Anjos would be on that July Fox card over UFC 200. His chance to be on that card instantly went out the window as soon as McGregor said he was willing to go back to 145 IMO.

Looks they found an opponent for Anderson Silva at UFC 198: Uriah Hall.

Also, I dunno if this was mentioned when it came out but Giovani Decker wants UFC 198 to have 15 fights in total. Decker is trying to make people sit around for several hours.

• Like 1

I was checking Cat Zingano's Twitter. It seems like she may have a fight lined up and ready to be announced. Cyborg/Zingano? I would watch the fuck out of that. That's the closest available person they have to match Cyborg's physicality. Keep in mind, it's probably going to be contested at 140 pounds.

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

I kinda figured it would be at 145. Makes sense to have Barao move up as he was struggling to make 135 too...

RIZIN is rumored of being in financial trouble already. A DEEP backer is claiming he lent RIZIN money and they haven't paid him back and that it took them 2 months to pay the referees from their past 2 events from last year.

Some afternoon news:

BJJ ace Mackenzie Dern is making her pro MMA debut in Legacy FC in July at 115lbs. 

With Anderson off the table, Mousasi is fighting Derek Brunson at UFC 200. 

I kinda figured it would be at 145. Makes sense to have Barao move up as he was struggling to make 135 too...

RIZIN is rumored of being in financial trouble already. A DEEP backer is claiming he lent RIZIN money and they haven't paid him back and that it took them 2 months to pay the referees from their past 2 events from last year.

I see the 4/17 event is on Tokai TV. Are they doing time buys just to be on local TV?

Guest Edwin

Not sure, there's not much details on that available. I did e-mail Meltzer some stuff about their NYE ratings which weren't great, nor were they horrible.

They were one of the least watched shows on NYE, but it was still a relatively decent number considering the amount of Japanese people who stay home and watch TV that night. The show did peak during Sapp vs. Akebono II and then fell considerably in the ratings compared to how much it peaked at.

The biggest problem they have is the amount of money they spent on their first 2 events.

Mo for example made close to $390K for winning that tournament and Fedor was rumored of having banked in $2 million for having had steamrolled Jaideep Sighn.

That right there is a huge financial expense on 2 fighters alone.

I mean you would think they would be on Fuji TV if the ratings were decent enough. To go from that to a channel only available in three prefectures seems very weird (especially seeing as they have native talent) unless the show is being replayed elsewhere.

Speaking of promotions with bleek outlooks, UR Fight needs about 200k buys to break even on their iPPV event. Everyone on that card is getting big money. I'm surprised UFC is even letting Michael Bisping, who apparently hasn't even trained, do that grappling match.

Guest Edwin

To clarify -- the ratings were decent at least in what they wanted to draw. The obviously weren't going to outdraw any of the big concerts or the KID vs. Masato exhibition boxing match.

They still spent a ton of money and if anything, it just proves that Fedor isn't as big a draw as fans would like to think he is.