DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

A couple news tidbits from Greg Savage on today's episode of Cheap Seats:

Remember what I said about Urijah Faber back in October?

I think the problem is it is still Urijah's team at the end of the day. If you want to have a really successful camp long-term, the inmates cannot run the asylum. That's one of the reasons why a team like Xtreme Couture imploded. Greg Savage had a good point the other day on Cheap Seats about TAM trying to recreate this moment when they brought Ludwig aboard. The Master Thong thing didn't work out because he was this wacky guy who made everyone do the same workout no matter the opponent. Ludwig is brought in, they have a ton of success, and then Faber and Ludwig have a falling out. They bring in Kampmann to replace him and get mixed results. Now, they are looking for another replacement.

So what incentive does someone like a Brandon Gibson have if he becomes the new head coach? If he runs afoul of Faber, then it is Adios. That's not exactly the climate you want to come into. You get to work with guys who are really talented, but you are not exactly leaving a place full of bums either. Why go there when there is a good chance you might get thrown under the bus as well?

Faber is a good fighter, but everything from these past five or six months in the media indicates he stinks as a General Manager. If this was the NFL or the NBA, the owner would fire the general manager. The problem here is he is the owner, the general manager, president of business operations, VP of Talent Relations, etc. If everything runs through him, it invites nothing but trouble.

Well, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Apparently, Benavidez is in New Mexico to train for his upcoming fight. Castillo is going to train somewhere in San Diego since he has a house there and his wife has connections there. Lance Palmer and Garbrandt have already made plans to train elsewhere. So yeah. Another year, another gym that has imploded.

Another thing is that the MusclePharm facility where Dillashaw and others have trained for the past few months may not be around too long. Just like a lot of people who sponsor gyms and whatnot, turns out the people behind MusclePharm are not on the up and up. They just got $10 million to pay off a $6 million loan. Plus, there was this whole thing back in September which coincides with them no longer directly sponsoring the UFC:

Apparently, the owners are also doing shit like using funds to pay for expensive Broncos tickets. 

So if you see Dillashaw training at only Ludwig Martial Arts instead that giant facility with Leister Bowling, you know what happened.

Interesting fight... Not really sure how that can go, but if I had to pick, I think Belfort can knock out Jacaré.

If Jacare can survive the first 2-3 minutes, he can take Vitor down, tire him out, and sub him. Vitor really hasn't shown he can sustain over more than one round off or even on TRT.

It was telling that even with Dan Henderson having little to no offense attempted in their last fight, Belfort was trying to conserve energy. If that's the case, how the hell would he even be semi-competitive against Rockhold in a rematch?

Vitor has always been one of my favorite fighters, but I think his management made a huge mistake if he wanted a title shot ASAP. With Anderson as an opponent, he was going against an older version of him and someone who is still a counterstriker. We're almost five years removed from that knockout. So both would have at least done the snakecharming routine until someone landed a couple of big strikes to get their opponent out of there.

Against Jacare, now he has to knock him out in half a round to win. His window of opportunity has shortened dramatically.

"I'm out here rallying around California in a car that spits fire, dressed like El Chapo with anacondas on my feet."

Conor McGregor's new mixtape "I Predict Deez Tings, Volume 4" is available on DatPiff.com right now.

• Like 5

I thought he used another word but I believe I was mistaken because of the camera placement and how it came out.  Dos Anjos said "speak" but the camera was on McGregor was talking so it was a mistake that I thought he said something else.

Ultimate Fighting Championship: Official Fan’s Guide Updated Edition I read and reviewed the original here a while ago and now the Revised Edition. The Ultimate Fighting Championship: Official Fan's Guide Revised Edition was a good read divided into various topics such as a chapter on the Top 10 UFC Knockouts of all time, Top 10 UFC Submissions of all time, UFC Classic Fights and the UFC Hall of Fame inductees.

The additions to this version I’m most sure of are in the Weight Divisions chapter. There’s Flyweight and Women’s Bantamweight. Frankie Edgar is rightly moved to the Featherweight Division but his entry still reads: “As 2010 dawned, people knew Frankie Edgar was good, but it wasn’t until his upset win over BJ Penn for the UFC Lightweight title in April that they knew just how good “The Answer” could be. And with two defenses under his belt, he may be on top for a long time”.

Other changes I noticed: THAT Edson Barboza KTFO Terry Etim at UFC 142 in the Top 10 UFC Knockouts of all time, Chan Sung Jung’s Twister on Leonard Garcia from UFC Fight Night 24 in the Top 10 Submissions of all time, UFC Title history to UFC 162 when Chris Weidman beat Anderson Silva for the UFC Middleweight Championship. This needed proof reading as Silva’s defeat is listed at UFC 162 and Weidman’s win at UFC 163 with both showing the same date. UFC 162 is the correct one. Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche from UFC 157 makes the Top 10 UFC Moments. Tito Ortiz, Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar are in the UFC Hall of Fame. With these changes it would have been nice to lose Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama from UFC 120 as a fucking entry in UFC Classic Fights. 

• Like 1