DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

This was easily the dumbest and worst acted entry in the franchise, but my wife and I had a great time anyway and were laughing at how ridiculous it was. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of the franchise. Hell, I even had a good time despite having two panic attacks during the movie (we had really bad weather yesterday with flooding and tornadoes).

• Like 1

Even more silly and ridiculous than some of the previous outings, but the people I was with enjoyed it.  I only recently came around on the franchise and watched 4-8 (I really dislike 1-3).  Don't really understand the appeal of the actors or the characters, so the only measuring stick I use is 'are the stunts fun?"   I feel like, if you go to see this film for the family drama, you're doing it wrong.

Didn't think Cena was good in this, though, to be fair, not sure anyone could have made the scenes between the brothers work.  Wooden acting, clunky dialogue, and a fairly silly plotline don't mix.  Cena didn't really fit the movie and I didn't believe he and Dom were related.

It does say something that, given how absurd some of the plotting was, the most ridiculous F&F thing i saw yesterday was an article about Vin Diesel claiming his feud with the Rock was a misunderstanding arising out of him showing the Rock "tough love" to get a better performance out of him.  Lol, I'm taking that to be a subtle dig at Rock (I was just doing my job and being professional and the other dude took it personally).

I mean, I watch wrestling and run an entire department at work.  I'm used to being fed a line of bs.  Vin Diesel doesn't have the chops to sell me that story.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:56 PM, L_W_P said:

Or they snipped a full conversation that goes something like:

Leti - "Jakob is his brother"

Roman - "He has a brother?"

Leti - "Not blood brother. They were drivers together. A race team. Won every trophy on the track when we were kids. When Dom went to prison Jakob left him to rot. Took the whole crew & moved to Boston. Dom had nothing when he got out."

Mia - "Nothing but us anyway..."

No, they aren't half brothers. They are full on brothers.

My daughter and I enjoyed it for what it was, but I have no idea why a big dumb but fun movie franchise like FF need to have Marvel movie runtime lengths.

It's a good thing this isn't a horror movie franchise, because when your movie that usually takes place on earth ends up in outer space it's a sign that you have officially jumped the shark and taken a turn for the worst.

See Also:  Leprechaun In Space, Jason X, Hellraiser:  Bloodline, Dracula 3000.

I also think it's funny that these movies keep adding to the cast instead of shrinking it.  No one ever fucking stays dead except for maybe Giselle.  Brian is still alive and the actor that plays him is dead...

The lengths we stretch our brains to accommodate this absurdity are getting more absurd.  FF is more A-Team than A-Team ever could have imagined to be, and not in a good way.

Edited by J.T.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - and supposedly confirmed by Vin Diesel - the next spinoff movie will focus on Charlize Theron's Cipher character

#Justice4Elena

Cipher, the character who had a mother executed in front of her infant son while the father watched. Has some vague god complex about being a crocodile that eats people at the watering hole.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Vin Diesel has made a public appeal to the Rock for the Rock to appear in Fast 10

It is a hilarious Instagram post, very Vin, and people are saying he manipulated the pic so Dwayne looks smaller than him.

Edited by JLSigman
I am an ADHD idiot who gets wires crossed typing
  • Haha 1

Part of Vin’s staying power is that he’s somehow more accessible because he’s weird and self absorbed. There are so many actors that create a public persona that’s supposed to be “they’re just like us.” Vin isn’t like us. He’s a rich and famous action movie star who’s insecure and petty in a way we don’t get to see in media anymore, and it’s often endearing. I wouldn’t want him to sincerely extend the olive branch to Dwayne without bizarre cheap shots. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 7:45 AM, RIPPA said:

Vin Diesel has made a public appeal to the Rock for the Rock to appear in Fast 10

Update:

“I told [Diesel] directly that I would not be returning to the franchise. I was firm yet cordial with my words and said that I would always be supportive of the cast and always root for the franchise to be successful, but that there was no chance I would return,” Johnson explained. “Vin’s recent public post was an example of his manipulation. I didn’t like that he brought up his children in the post, as well as Paul Walker’s death. Leave them out of it. We had spoken months ago about this and came to a clear understanding.”

However, Johnson went on to express his well wishes for the “Fast & Furious” family ahead of their next, and ostensibly penultimate, outing.

“My goal all along was to end my amazing journey with this incredible franchise with gratitude and grace,” Johnson said. “It’s unfortunate that this public dialogue has muddied the waters. Regardless, I’m confident in the ‘Fast’ universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience… I truly wish my former co-stars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter.”

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dwayne-johnson-rejoin-fast-and-furious-10-vin-diesel-1235144611/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...