DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah but having seen it I've gotta wonder why they even bothered to call it an adaptation. There's the "devil went down to LA" premise and from then on they're completely different.

I'd guess it started life as more of an adaptation and then the network/studio notes came in: "make it more like things that people watch. Maybe a police procedural?"

I'm spiteful enough to hope that they eventually do Scott Pilgrim as one of those Disney Channel Tween shows like Dog With a Blog with the horrible laugh tracks and adults acting stupid.Then I would be a pal and give you the "keep it separate" talk.

So, American Crime is going to end with one of these kids dying this season, isn't it?

Probably. I love the concept of the show - using the same cast to tell a different in-depth crime story every season. Good stuff.

Craig Ferguson's doing a show on the History Channel. 

http://deadline.com/2016/01/join-or-die-craig-ferguson-premiere-date-historytca-1201676991/

Anything that gets Craig Ferguson back on TV (and no I'm not counting that awful game show) is alright in my book

• Like 1

The Lucifer comic series is splendid.  I hope more people will give it a shot now, even though it's obviously very different from the direction of the show.

Everything about the Lucifer tv adaptation screams Castle/Bones/Sleepy Hollow run-of-the-mil, case-of-the-week procedural.  Those shows are rarely 100 percent horrible, but they become repetitive and dull very quickly to me.  I know they wouldn't (or even couldn't) do a direct adaptation of it, but this show looks very uninspired. I might give the pilot a shot for fairness sake.

The pilot was exactly that. It's fine, but it's got nothing to do with the comic. Lucifer in it is a standard issue smartass antihero finding he *gasp* cares about some humans, and needing to deal with these issues. While helping solve homicides.

Mike Carey doesn't even have a credit.

They aren't that different. Its just that Lucifer no longer has a need to play his own stereotype of what people at large think he should be. Look at how he mellowed after handing over the keys of Hell to Morpheus aand his reappearance at the end of Seasons of Mist and again during The Kindly Ones. Who he was during his first appearance is not who he is at the end of Sandman. The version at the end of Sandman is the version Carey expands upon.

James