DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I'm baffled by everyone not thinking it was a comedy. It was hilarious, and it never sold the dramatic stakes at all. I can't even guess what an argument for The Martian being a drama would look like.

It was probably the funniest or second funniest movie of 2015 I saw, and it damn sure was more comedy than anything else.

Do you think whoever signed Mel Gibson to introduce Mad Max was thinking "Hey, it'll be a nice moment of him returning to the fold and being forgiven!"?  or was thinking "Hey, it'll be hilarious to see if he's desperate enough for this to let himself to just stand there smiling while Ricky shivs him over and over!"?

• Like 1

The bleeping was so fucking annoying.  If these pampered assholes can't go ten fucking seconds without cussing to try to seem cool why the fuck are we even filming and trying to watch this shit?

It's not that fucking hard to control yourselves, pricks.  Like, you're not trying to shock the principal with your graduation speech, you're a GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING WORKING ADULT!

I think I've made my point.

Translated into what I watched tonight:

The bleeping was so

are we even filming and trying to

shock the principal with your graduation speech, you're a

point.

Jesus, the HFPA just does not give a fuck anymore. Lady Gaga just won an award over Kirsten Dunst for FARGO.

I wish you all could've seen the wicked side eye DiCaprio was giving her as she passed him going to the stage.

She bumped into his shoulder on the way to accept.

Jesus, the HFPA just does not give a fuck anymore. Lady Gaga just won an award over Kirsten Dunst for FARGO.

I wish you all could've seen the wicked side eye DiCaprio was giving her as she passed him going to the stage.

He needs to be in that spot every awards show because his reactions and peoples reactions to having to walk by him were the best parts of the whole show.

landscape-1452480935-giphy.gif

I don't watch Law & Order SVU but has the plot of every episode devolved into "let's just make Mariska Hargitay a woman in peril?"  I seem to remember seeing commercials for a seemingly endless episode arc where she was raped and tortured by Pablo Schreiber and now I keep seeing a commercial where she's kidnapped or held hostage or something.  Big 4 network TV: always 30 years behind the times.

What do you expect? It's Law & Order: Rape RapeRapeRape RAPE. It's all they've got. I've known a few women who were really into that show, and I dunno if it's causation or merely correlation, but those people were much more phobic about sexual predation than any regular person would normally be.

• Like 2

What do you expect? It's Law & Order: Rape RapeRapeRape RAPE. It's all they've got. I've known a few women who were really into that show, and I dunno if it's causation or merely correlation, but those people were much more phobic about sexual predation than any regular person would normally be.

Olivia Benson has become some sort of cult hero among women. I have real life female friends and online friends both who give no shits about any of the other L&Os but will not miss an episode of SVU. From what my nieces tell me, Taylor Swift even named her cat "Olivia Benson."

I've never engaged in conversation with any of them to gauge how phobic they are about predation but I've seen a bunch of SVU episodes from falling asleep after Raw and waking up with it on and I noticed the fact her character automatically assumes there's a sexual deviant hiding behind every corner became something of an *wink**wink* reference Stabler makes in quite a few episodes.

James Spader is the MVP of television. Not necessarily the best actor mind you, but he gives the Blacklist such credibility, that helps overlook some of the other stuff. I love it, but it can be so freaking ridiculous sometimes. . . .

• Like 1

So THE COLONY: USA's entry into the growing sub-grenre of "Let's try to make a version of THE AMERICANS that people will actually watch." In this case, it's Josh Holloway as an agent for the alien occupation, his wife...um...Rick's wife from THE WALKING DEAD is an agent for the human resistance, and they have to balance all that with raising a family. It's THE AMERICANS with aliens.

First episode was...okayish? Probably won't seek out a second episode unless I hear it really picks up later on.

So THE COLONY: USA's entry into the growing sub-grenre of "Let's try to make a version of THE AMERICANS that people will actually watch." In this case, it's Josh Holloway as an agent for the alien occupation, his wife...um...Rick's wife from THE WALKING DEAD is an agent for the human resistance, and they have to balance all that with raising a family. It's THE AMERICANS with aliens.

First episode was...okayish? Probably won't seek out a second episode unless I hear it really picks up later on.

The Vmericans?