DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I still fucking loathe that scenery-chewing overacting teenage midget that they cast as Moriarity (seriously, that guy is fucking terrible, an active detriment to the entire series) but I thought "The Abominable Bride" was one of the better episodes of a damnably inconsistent series. It was fun seeing Cumberbatch and Freeman in the Victorian era.

I still fucking loathe that scenery-chewing overacting teenage midget that they cast as Moriarity (seriously, that guy is fucking terrible, an active detriment to the entire series) but I thought "The Abominable Bride" was one of the better episodes of a damnably inconsistent series. It was fun seeing Cumberbatch and Freeman in the Victorian era.

Moriarty was great in seasons 1&2 but the more popular the series got the more cartoony he became. I find Watson (the character,not Freeman) to be the most annoying of the main trio these days.

I forgot about the Carson airings on Antenna.... but I am stuck in Season 4 of the Twilight Zone on SyFy. Apparently 2016 is the year they'reven running episodes not aired since the 60s

I've spent hours the last few days trying to figure a way to get Antenna TV at my house. But Dish can't carry subchannels and the tower is like 60 miles from my house.  It's killing me.  I'm at my parents right now and watched Foster Brooks and Victor Buono last night and it was amazing.

That's two guys who made their living mocking major health problems in one show! 

Victor Buono's fat guy act was pretty funny until his heart exploded when he was 43.  Seriously, guys, let's all take some weight off this year.

Somehow Foster Brooks lived to be like 90, so cut back on ice cream and add a little more spirits, I guess.

Tonight's guests: Comic Bob Hope; actor Michael Landon; actor Freddie Prinze; comic Don Rickles; actress Carol Wayne.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME???? What a card!

• Like 1

Im only 2 episodes deep into Making a Murderer and i already want to punch the screen when some of the Sheriffs/Officers are covering up their mistakes.

Head over to the documentary thread for more discussion on this one.
  • Like 1

Finished the second season of the Leftovers. I would be perfectly content if the end of the show was that final scene from 2x10. Every time the camera panned around the room, I was shouting YES. Finally a season finale that's actually satisfying. This begs the question, though: Why is it just getting three seasons? Ratings not good enough, Damon wants to end it before he fucks it up like he did with LOST, etc? I hope shit hits the fan hard in the next season, that's what I'm waiting on. And I still don't really understand Wayne or the baby, but I have an idea.

Now I'm without a TV show to watch, and I'm crestfallen.

• Like 1

Finished the second season of the Leftovers. I would be perfectly content if the end of the show was that final scene from 2x10. Every time the camera panned around the room, I was shouting YES. Finally a season finale that's actually satisfying. This begs the question, though: Why is it just getting three seasons? Ratings not good enough, Damon wants to end it before he fucks it up like he did with LOST, etc?

For exactly the reason in your second sentence. After hearing from so many people that they would've been happy if season 2 had been the end, Lindelof decided that while there was more story to tell, there wasn't that much story left to tell.

I had the exact same response to the last scene as you. The happiest happy ending. For everybody in that room anyway.

• Like 1

I thought the episode while being fun (and funny) it was rather... I don't know... too silly? Too meta? Too high concept? Too Inception?

Last night's was 90.  From 1975.  Tonight's is too.  maybe they are doing 90s on the weekend and 60s during the week.

None of this matters because I"M NEVER GOING TO ELGET TO SEE ANY OF OTIT FUCK YOU DISH!!!!

What about one the smaller, indoor extended range antennas?  Like this or this?  When we bought my parents their first HD tv for Christmas last year, they bought one of the Mohu Leaf Ultimate antennas with the 50 mile range and they can pull in at least one channel from 60+ miles away(though to be fair they live in the country and it's pretty wide open with clear sight lines).  The ones I linked are supposed to 60+ mile range.  You have already looked into those, but thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.