DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2016 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Watch Dogs 2 dev gameplay demo.

There is a shit ton of concept art for Macus.  Hopefully that means we have a protagonist we can fully customize as far as build and ethnicity goes.  I know he's supposed to be from Oakland and his hook into the game is being unfairly profiled by the police, but that doesn't necessarily has to mean that Marcus is ethnically locked as a black dude.

Hopefully one day Ubisoft devs will figure out that women play these sorts of games too and would probably appreciate playing a female avatar.

One of the first things that the Ubi devs address in another WD2 dev vid is vehicles and and the shitty driving mechanics from WD1..  I'm glad to see that fixing that shit was a high priority and I would love to meet the people the devs talk about in that vid who actually liked the driving in the first game.

I was also happy to see that WD2 is taking a page from GTA and Saint's Row and allowing for full clothing customization.  I am definitely going to buy a pair of jeans that are a bit looser than the skinny jeans that Marcus wear in the dev clips.   How are you expected to do parkour in pants that tight?

Okay, I am dumb.   The track playing during the Cinematic Reveal Trailer for Watch Dogds 2 is Spaz by NERD and that is Don't Sweat The Technique by Eric B & Rakim playing during the ghost playstyle infiltration mission in the Dev Gameplay Walkthough.

Whomever picked out those songs for the soundtrack deserves a raise. 

The only thing that bothers me is that their definition of "non-lethal" combat is still pretty fucking lethal. 

In Watch Dogs, Adrian uses a steel fighting baton and now Marcus uses a fucking billiard ball with parachute cord looped through it. 

I have broken a toe before by accidentally dropping a cue ball on my foot, so there is no way I would consider an eight ball attached to an elastic cord and whizzing at my head to be "non-lethal."   If you get hit hard enough in the right spot by that thing, you are all done.

The one thing I do like about the Thunderball cranium cracker and the 3D printer idea for firearm crafting is that they have unknowingly answered the question of how do these guys smuggle their weapons past metal detectors.

• Like 1

What the fuck was up with Lando taking out a fucking scout walker with one blaster shot?  

The Colt 45 Works Every Time joke will write itself.

Dengar is a playable character?  Coolio!

So this Battlefield 1 seems batshit insane. Just watched a video where a zeppelin drops from the sky mid game and then you can run around inside the ruins shooting people. You can pilot bi-planes and there is a level based on the Arabian conflicts. This might be getting a pre-order from me.

On 6/14/2016 at 5:41 PM, J.T. said:

There is a shit ton of concept art for Macus.  Hopefully that means we have a protagonist we can fully customize as far as build and ethnicity goes.  I know he's supposed to be from Oakland and his hook into the game is being unfairly profiled by the police, but that doesn't necessarily has to mean that Marcus is ethnically locked as a black dude.

So let me get this straight. Someone from a predominantly black area prior to gentrification(part of Marcus's story as well) who was profiled incorrectly by the police using a system that profiled everyone in game should not be a black dude? Barring how disingenuous it would be to not make him black in this day and age where that is actually a hot topic, Ubisoft already has a history of not fully integrating character's culture and situation because they had to appeal to masses and often avoided subjects that would have made said character's compelling if they actually addressed them: Connor Kenway's indigenous American struggle being put aside for the the American Civil War...er I mean Revolution but not really because it was actually a Civil War but Revolution sounds cooler, Aveline De Granpre slavery and her overall aesthetic changes to fit in and mold how people see her for shitty ideological squabble between the Templars and Assassins equivocating slavery to it, and Adewale's Haitian Revolution being reduced to a Django Unchained power fantasy where he frees abled bodied slaves for supplies and bonuses.

I want my black everyday protagonist that deals with racism and if I get from Lincoln Clay from Mafia 3 or this game, I'd be happy because I had to sit there and play through fucking Aidan Pearce, Arno Dorian, Edward Kenway, the white guy you played before Connor in AC3, and motherfucking Frye twins. If I had to sit through Aidan Pearces boring ass and "relate to him," you gonna sit through a overly enthusiastic black dude who is fighting a profiling system and gentrification.

And to answer your question, you cannot change Marcus in your story in anyway besides clothes. You can change your Avatar or how you appear in someone else's game. 

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:43 AM, J.T. said:

What the fuck was up with Lando taking out a fucking scout walker with one blaster shot?  

The Colt 45 Works Every Time joke will write itself.

Dengar is a playable character?  Coolio!

The AT STs got nerfed a while ago and have paper mache for armor now.  You can easily take them down in a few shots with the right weapon and perks.

On 6/18/2016 at 7:32 PM, Kyuubi said:

I want my black everyday protagonist that deals with racism.

I am the black everyday protagonist that deals with racism, my friend.  I don't need Fruitvale Station moments every day in my life, especially not during my leisure time that is supposed to be spent suspending reality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

There's a PS4 remake of Target Earth/Assault Suit Leynos out in less than two weeks. I had no idea, but now I'm excited.

Am I right in thinking that is related to an old SNES game, Cybernator? I used to play the crap out of that game in my younger days.

40 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Cybernator is the sequel (Assault Suit Valken  in Japan).

This makes me happier than it should. Hopefully it's getting a UK release at the same time and we're not screwed over on the price.

• 2 weeks later...

So I pretty much only play 3 games- Civilization, The Elder Scrolls and Football Manager...

That said in case you haven't heard - Civ VI is coming out in a few months and it looks inctedivly.rkmsntic interesting from a playing perspective as they've redone how the cities are laid out which effects the players strategy immensely. I'm looking past the cartoonishouse graphics because of this new take on the overall gameplay. 

Anyone else play Civ?

• Like 1

Logged 145 hours on Civ V. Civ IV was more my jam and for what little self-respect I have would very much not like to know how many hours I sunk into it. Very excited for VI.

• Like 1

I played a lot of Civ 5 time not reflected in my steam stats when I still used offline mode. I did enjoy it a lot in that it felt a lot like Civ 1 to me except the CPU didn't cheat like hell, and I remember I was (surprise) running a couple mods but I don't remember which. There was a nice mod that overhauled the tech tree that didn't require any of the DLC.

Crusader Kings II (which, surprise, I am running the Historical Immersion Project mod) has sort of taken over that slot in what I play, but I enjoyed Civ 5 for quite a while.

The list of games included is insanely great, too.   Check this shit out:

Balloon Fight™

BUBBLE BOBBLE

Castlevania™

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™

Donkey Kong™

Donkey Kong Jr. ™

DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE

Dr. Mario™

Excitebike™

FINAL FANTASY®

Galaga™