DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

If I'm Microsoft, I'm going to all of my developers now, 1st and 3rd, and getting mod support for as many XBox games as I can. If Sony is gonna have this stance with every game (not just Bethesda ones), that's a huge competitive edge for them.

• Like 2

On Xbox One, at least, there's a new trial/demo of NBA2K17 called, "The Prelude." You can create your player and run through his college career, I guess. Progress carries over to the game proper. Notably, it has its own 1000GS. 

15 GB download, FWIW. 

1 hour ago, Big Fresh said:

If I'm Microsoft, I'm going to all of my developers now, 1st and 3rd, and getting mod support for as many XBox games as I can. If Sony is gonna have this stance with every game (not just Bethesda ones), that's a huge competitive edge for them.

What percentage of console players give a tuppenny fuck about mods?  PC Gaming has decent size Mod community (especially for Bethesda games), but honestly, people that don't know what their doing stay away because doing it wrong is gamebreaking (or at worst, system breaking, as there have been mod screwups that wiped HDD's), and even then, it's a small percentage of players that even fool with mods.    

• Like 1

I love how Big Fresh will find any opportunity to shitpost about Sony and later claim he isn't biased. Good old Big Fresh.

Honestly, I have Fallout 4 on the PS4 and I don't give a shit about mods. Any mod I'd want to use likely wouldn't work as well as it would on the PC. If I wanted to play a game with mod support, I'd play it on the PC.

25 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

What percentage of console players give a tuppenny fuck about mods?  PC Gaming has decent size Mod community (especially for Bethesda games), but honestly, people that don't know what their doing stay away because doing it wrong is gamebreaking (or at worst, system breaking, as there have been mod screwups that wiped HDD's), and even then, it's a small percentage of players that even fool with mods.    

They care about them when you get them to care about them. No one cared about joysticks on home consoles until they had them. They didn't care about online multiplayer until they had it. I'm just saying there's room for opportunity there and making yourself different from your competitor.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I love how Big Fresh will find any opportunity to shitpost about Sony and later claim he isn't biased. Good old Big Fresh.

Seriously dude, leave me the hell alone. If you don't agree, you don't agree. But I'm not interested in some weird fight with you. This is why I left the board for months anyway.

You poor thing. The only one seeing it as a fight is you. I mean, there's two rebuttals to what you're saying, but sure, focus on the light ribbing like someone threw a brick through your window. All that salt is bad for your heart, son.

4 minutes ago, Big Fresh said:

They care about them when you get them to care about them. No one cared about joysticks on home consoles until they had them. They didn't care about online multiplayer until they had it. I'm just saying there's room for opportunity there and making yourself different from your competitor.

There's room, but even the PC Mod community is small considering how much the average gamer knows about how to actually work more of a PC beyond "install game, double click to run".  

Microsoft can do mods on the Xbone because it's based off Windows OS, which lots of modders are already familar with.  Sony's XMB is their own OS, and opening the environment to modders could expose parts that Sony isn't willing to do.  Their property, their perrogative.  But unlike online play, this isn't a big deal, it's a niche audience.

And what consoles didn't have joysticks?  Outside of the original Pong machines with the dial, everything's had at least a 4 way controling device.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You poor thing. The only one seeing it as a fight is you. I mean, there's two rebuttals to what you're saying, but sure, focus on the light ribbing like someone threw a brick through your window. All that salt is bad for your heart, son.

And they managed to talk about it without being insulting. Shame you can't.

stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

Anyway. The only people I know of who REALLY want mods at the moment are people playing No Man's Sky. The mods for that legitimately improve the game and the experience, like removing the invisible barrier from the ground and water when flying, or removing the instagram filter effect when you're flying in space. The pastels are pretty, but when you turn those colors off and look off into a black night sky, spare for some colored nebulae, it's a whole other level of beauty for an otherwise boring game.

Skyrim with mods is like 1000x the game that the vanilla version is. I guess I'll stick with the pc version. Disappointed about Fallout 4 not having mod support either, as I was waiting until all the dlc and good mods were out to finish it.

• Like 2

Just want to point out that while many on the whole may not care about mods, a decent amount of people still do so it does kind of suck for them. Even I would have liked mods though not having them doesn't ruin FO4 or the PS4 for me. Bethesda successfully laying the blame on Sony despite being the ones to actually cancel mods doesn't help.

6 hours ago, Big Fresh said:

This is fucking nuts! Sony is not allowing mods for Fallout 4 or Skyrim Remastered on PS4.

Between this and the conference this week, Sony seems to be regressing to old, arrogant Sony, like the one that launched PS3.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/ps4-mod-update/2016/09/09/199

I probably won't get to dig into the reasoning for this until tonight, but I know that Bethesda's attempts to allow mods on the platform were feeble and riddled with bugs, which is why it kept getting delayed. I'm sure Bethesda wanted Sony to open up more of the OS than Sony was comfortable allowing to see if that alleviated some of its issues. 

I'm sure Sony's goal here was to just limit its IP and Platform from exploits and weren't going to find common ground with Bethesda. It'll be interesting to see if Bethesda releases a game on a Sony platform after Dishonored 2 and this Skyrim reissue are released.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Skyrim with mods is like 1000x the game that the vanilla version is. I guess I'll stick with the pc version. Disappointed about Fallout 4 not having mod support either, as I was waiting until all the dlc and good mods were out to finish it.

If we're talking vanilla game vs. vanilla game, honestly if you can get past that it is the much buggier experience to put it mildly, I'd take Morrowind over Skyrim.

With mods and a little work, Skyrim became an all time desert island level game. Bethesda should have just signed a royalty contract with the guys that made Deadly Dragons and stuck it in the fucking vanilla game.

• Like 1

Also I think there's this misconception that modding on PC is still difficult when anything that has steam mod support, installing mods generally involves "press the green button on the Steam workshop", though for some games if you want to get more detailed than that, you can. Not saying there's anything wrong with having the perception modding is a lot of work because for most of gaming history that's been true, but it's really not working that way for almost any current gen PC title anymore. Things are changing and this is one area where modern tech is helping a lot at making it more accessible than ever.

I expect the console modding is extremely similar to that Steam Workshop experience as the template.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BL88 said:

NO MAN'S SKY [?]
 I wanted to go into weird caves and bonk stuff. There's not enough stuff to bonk or weird enough caves.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT [3]
For Non-Players: Okay look. When I was talking about No Man's Sky I said I wanted to go into weird caves and bonk stuff. I am playing this game to do exactly that. Let me live. Okay? Okay.

Bonk is British 80's slang for shagging, not killing.

No Mods on consoles is a great advert for that console. The easier it is to mod games on a platform, the more unplayable online modes are on that platform. If modders are such brilliant creators, why don't they make their own bloody games instead of buggering up proper stuff?

As someone who's totality of experience with using mods was the MVP '07 mod to MVP Baseball '05 I just want to say GODDAMMIT I MISS PLAYING HTAT SICNW MY LAST PC DIED!!!!

It was a pain in the ass to get it to work for someone like me.  But it was also the greatest baseball game I've ever played.

I've pushed on past the second boss in Dark Souls. I've heard people say that DS1 is harder than DK2 but so far the first 2 bosses have been pretty easy. I'm guessing it will just ramp up the difficulty at some point and kicks my ass. So far though it's a lot more forgiving.

I'm enjoying the early game a bit more than i did Dark Souls 2. There aren't a million stats to worry about leveling and the game itself has been much more streamlined. A few things i have noticed, I don't seem to be able to travel to different areas via bonfires. You could do this from the very start in DS2 and Bloodborne. I'm assuming i unlock something at some point that lets me do that. Enemies seem way more aggressive! Like they will follow you to the end of the map if you aggravate them. Estas seems to work differently too. I started off with more but the amount you get seems to be dependent on the bonfire you spawn at. Thank god the Hollowing mechanic isn't the same as DK2. permanently reducing your health when you die and aren't human just seemed way to harsh.

The game doesn't run all that great though. I don't know if it was always this bad on the 360 or if its a problem caused by the backwards compatibility but there's a lot of slowdown. It's not making it unplayable or anything but it's distracting and can make timing attacks hard.

Never heard of it. But ask an Englishman about bonking in a cave, and they'll assume you're talking Game of Thrones season 3, and Jon Snow doing the Lord's kiss.

• Like 1