DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I'm not convinced Sony is going to reveal any games today. If we see games today, it will be existing entities being shown in 4K.

Agreed. I think they want people to walk out of this thing talking about the console. If they showed Red Dead, that's all people will talk about.

22 hours ago, Big Fresh said:

I played Gears of War 10 years ago when it came out, and fell away from the series. No real reason, just games weren't a priority at that time.

But since Gears 4 looks amazing, I decided I'm gonna try to rush through 2, 3, and Judgement on their easiest difficulties in a month (which is when 4 comes out).

Almost done with 2 already. Lots of fun.

Gears of War 3 is next on my JT Plays Old Shit run after I finish up my the second attempt at a complete Borderlands 2 playthrough as Axton.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Gears of War 3 is next on my JT Plays Old Shit run after I finish up my the second attempt at a complete Borderlands 2 playthrough as Axton.

I'm probably gonna finish Gears 2 today and start 3 if I can stay awake long enough. I worked overnight.

So, After loving Bloodborne and not being too fond of Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, i did the only sensible thing, I brought the original Dark Souls. It's £3.74 on the Xbox store this week so why not!

I've only played through to the first boss but despite it not aging well graphically it doesn't feel as sluggish as the second game so hopefully i will enjoy this one more. It looks like it will take some getting used too though. There doesn't appear to be a central location you can fall back on and heal up/level up etc like Bloodborne and DS2 had, instead it looks like it's all done from the bonfires themselves. But if the first stage is anything to go by they seem a lot more forgiving with their locations. Or maybe it's just to ease you into it. We will see when i push on over the weekend.

So PS 4.5 will be called PS 4 Pro, come out on November, 10th and cost 400 $ / €. Features will be about what was already suspected. HDR will already be supported on the "normal" PS4. The new "smaller" PS4 will come out in a week and will cost 300 $ / €.

How do you show me Mass Effect gameplay and still bored the fuck out of me?!?

There seems to be some confusions about this still, but the general consensus is that the PS4 Pro won't run games natively in 4K, it will upscale them (just like the XBox S). So what the hell is this thing for?

They got outflanked by Microsoft on this one and were caught with their pants down. I bet they wish they didn't have to release this thing, but they're too deep in it now.

Sony won't have a console that runs games natively at 4K until the PS5. That's not good.

• Like 1

All their eggs are in the VR basket, and it'll be choked by a glut of  5-10 minute long game "experiences" that retail for like $20-30.

Like, I've played the PSVR and it was cool as fuck, but the games didn't even look like PS4 games.  To drop that kind of coin I'd have to literally simultaneously be shitting and jizzing myself over some ultra realistic horror game or something.

And probably a bunch of bad games that make people physically ill in VR will come out, and will be someone's first experience, and they'll get a rep as $500 puke machines (Yeah, I know the base unit is $400, but you need the camera and move controllers too)

Surprised there wasn't more BUY THIS SYSTEM AND VR WILL BE BETTER, though that might turn off current PS4 owners that don't want to upgrade from buying PSVR.

I fucking love my PS4.  I'm glad I got one.  I'm kind of unexcited about everything announced lately for it, though.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Big Fresh said:

How do you show me Mass Effect gameplay and still bored the fuck out of me?!?

There seems to be some confusions about this still, but the general consensus is that the PS4 Pro won't run games natively in 4K, it will upscale them (just like the XBox S). So what the hell is this thing for?

They got outflanked by Microsoft on this one and were caught with their pants down. I bet they wish they didn't have to release this thing, but they're too deep in it now.

Sony won't have a console that runs games natively at 4K until the PS5. That's not good.

Why? It'll still be 3-4 years before we get a game that will actually output at naitve 4K, and we're still at the point were TV providers are is still running at 720p and not upgrading their codecs in the near future.  It has pretty 1080p60 and will do VR, which is where the current hotness is. 

Yeah, I'm leaning towards just going the PC route and use the PS4 as a sports game console and Rocket League/buddy machine. My gaming rig is about 4 or 5 years old now, so it's ancient in terms of PCs. Stupid fucking video games (or stupid me for plunking way too much money into them).

• Like 1

I can't do it, man. It's something wrong with me, I know. My graphics card is a tank, but I think it was slightly defective since day one. Radeon HD 7970. It's still good for most games, I think it's the CPU that mostly needs upgrading. I'm not in a rush any way, but I'm disappointed that Sony more or less got embarrassed by Microsoft on this one but if I have a good PC and a PS4, I'll have access to all the good games coming out for a while yet. I may dip into the VR shit when the Vive drops in price, assuming it isn't the HD-DVD of this silliness.

• Like 1

I actually grabbed the PS4 yesterday, the Slim didn't really grab me, so I just went ahead and got the COD bundle ($349) with my $500 trade credit (the folks at Gamestop hate me. A LOT. This is the second time I've done this to them).

Also got Madden, UFC 2, Nobunaga's Ambition, MLB The Show 16, Tales of Zestiria, and J-Stars Vs (I'm a sucker for anime-soccer games :P)

Only reason to get the Pro is if you have a high end 1080p60 TV or higher and are a framerate nazi or you really want to do VR.  If you don't quite care about that as much, then sticking with the regular old PS4 would work.  

34 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Is there even a reason to buy a new Slim rather than grab a discounted original PS4 with a better bundle?  Other than size/design, they are basically identical in terms of specs and games, right?

I'd rather have the old model because the Slim is missing an optical audio output, so I couldn't use my headphones on it.

50 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I actually grabbed the PS4 yesterday, the Slim didn't really grab me, so I just went ahead and got the COD bundle ($349) with my $500 trade credit (the folks at Gamestop hate me. A LOT. This is the second time I've done this to them).

Also got Madden, UFC 2, Nobunaga's Ambition, MLB The Show 16, Tales of Zestiria, and J-Stars Vs (I'm a sucker for anime-soccer games :P)

So yea - I have a morbid curiosity how the hell you racked up $500 in Gamestop trade credit.  I don't think I've gotten that much total from every game I've ever traded into there combined.

Just now, CSC said:

So yea - I have a morbid curiosity how the hell you racked up $500 in Gamestop trade credit.  I don't think I've gotten that much total from every game I've ever traded into there combined.

Vita, some games, 3DS (old aqua blue), some games, and the remainder of my 360 games.

This is on top of $280 or so last year.

15 hours ago, CSC said:

I got about that from a trade in when I cleaned out a lot of my collection when I realized I was going into hoarding territory.  I was buying used OG Xbox games from video stores going out of business and then trading them in when they were offering 50% trade in bonus + 10% for the card.

If you're in the XBox One preview program, Clubs have rolled out. I went ahead and started the DVDVR one. If you're in preview, you can join now. If you're not, you should be able to join when the update goes wide (probably a few weeks). Reminder, this also works for anyone planning on playing these XBox Games that also are crossplay ok PC, like Gears of War 4.

1yeAW6m.jpg

On 9/7/2016 at 8:56 PM, CSC said:

A few years back, I pulled up 600 or 700 at Hastings. Traded in basically my entire CD collection. Got a PS3 and like 15 games (they had a 30% off plus b2g1 on used) and still had a ton left over. It was awesome. 

DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN [4]
I love this game and wish I didn't suck so much ass at it. It's an amazing co-op game just for being super, super weird. Of course the situation I've gotten into with my co-op partner (my older brother) is that I have done most of the recruiting, so when it's battle time he just kind of has to kick it while me and my posse runs around bonking stuff. Aside from little weird things like that, the game is like legitimately outstanding and I would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone with CRPG affection.

PICROSS 3D ROUND 2 [3]
guh. that hurt. So like, the puzzles are amazing. They made the formula better by making, basically, Picross with two overlapping colors, and also in a 3D space. I have a gripe. Here is the gripe: all of the packing around the puzzles is bad.
1. The puzzles don't animate anymore after you finish them.
2. They replaced a bone simple three star system (one for completing a puzzle, one for doing it under a par time, one for doing it with no mistakes) with a nonsensical point system that tracks the same variables, as well as a score multiplier for difficulty.
--2a. this is important because in the prior game, levels unlocked based on how many stars you had earned. Now they unlock on a variety of factors, like score and puzzles completed and gems. Speaking of gems...
3. To make up for "are these good numbers or bad numbers," they've created a grade system that didn't make sense until hours into the game, and still doesn't feel like an actual reward.
4. The whole point of the three point system is that on occasion you could just go "oh fuck this" and clear the puzzle with a mistake, and then come back to regain that lost star or whatever. In this game, when you redo a puzzle, it doesn't overwrite your old score, it just raises your net total. So, hypothetically, you could do one puzzle over and over again, and unlock a large portion of this game. 
ALL THAT BEING SAID- the puzzles are so fucking good. They're so goddamn good. Play this game if you want great puzzles. Play the original if you want great puzzles and, like, character.

NO MAN'S SKY [?]
I am not as aggressively "MURRAY LIED SOLDIERS DIED" or whatever about it, but it's sure not what I'm looking for. I can't use my current scale on the game because it was a gift to me and I regret making someone else buy the gift but I don't regret seeing it for myself. I don't regret giving up on the game either. I wanted to go into weird caves and bonk stuff. There's not enough stuff to bonk or weird enough caves.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK'S AWAKENING DX [1]
The tutorial system is "oh is that a block you can't interact with yet? Well if you brush against it you get to button past three screens of text." The tutorial system is like the death penalty of tortures. Except your balls hurt all the time. I uninstalled this with great wrath.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK TO THE PAST [2]
So if you haven't been keeping up (and that is fair) I played the first Legend of Zelda last year and deeply loved it. It's dangerous and weird and eerie and challenging. I played Zelda 2 and loved that twice as much, since it is the lineal precursor to the Souls games in everything but stamina bar management. This resulted in me trying the other Zelda games and having deeply mixed results. This is a continuation of me trying a Zelda game for the first time and having deeply mixed results. Best summarized: Everyone that has accused Nintendo of going soft to keep appealing to kids needs to understand that started on the SNES and you just remember the NES weird.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT [3]
For Non-Players: Okay look. When I was talking about No Man's Sky I said I wanted to go into weird caves and bonk stuff. I am playing this game to do exactly that. Let me live. Okay? Okay.
For Players: I got a request-a-friend invite that somehow overrode my prior account in entirety, but that account got hella hacked so I've appreciated the fresh start. I currently have a level 79 Pandaren Monk (because the Pandaren zone is the only starting zone I haven't seen (I was not impressed)). I've been kind of put off by the inflation in the auction house, but I really enjoy the changes that have been made to, like, instanced combat, with clearer signals and more focus on manuvering in and out of position instead of "okay tank goes here dps goes here here and here, healer don't aggro things." I'm having a good time. It's still not the game I learned how to play and I kind of miss it for that, but, I'm having a good time.

A BRIEF ASIDE ABOUT UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END, WHICH I HAVE ONLY BEEN WATCHING A LET'S PLAY OF, SO I WILL NOT RATE IT
i didn't know a stealth game could be less fun than the last of us, but golly, they sure seem to have pulled it off. 90% of firefights have looked stilted and bizarre, in impossible spaces against enemies who have such incredible accuracy at throwing grenades to bust you out of the one available piece of cover in the whole level that either you are magnetic or they are the greatest outfielders who ever lived. This is a shame, because every time they do character building stuff I am so, so, so into it. I want to play Sim Salvage Company featuring the grizzled action hero's ennui over priorities changing, or How To Survive Being An Outgoing Orphan. I do not want to play Mass Murder Daddy: The Boys Are Back In Town*. I wish Naughty Dog would either hire people that want games to be fun, or have the nerve to make a full length drama. This middle ground is killing me.

*i would maybe see a schlocky movie named this.

• Like 1

I just hit chapter 15 in UNCHARTED 4, and I would say most all of the stealth sections can be completed without killing anyone.  It's hard as fuck, but doable.  Which I appreciate as an option because I like Drake as guy who only kills in a life or death situation, as opposed to a merciless killing machine, snapping necks in the foliage.