DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I loaded up The Last of Us to remind myself where I am in that game. Part of me is debating restarting it, but I usually have a problem restarting games, and I am just early enough in the story that I could probably just watch videos to fill in any blanks.

Anyways, it reminded me how bad I am at this type of game even if most people consider this an easier version of this type of game. I am in the museum after some of the structure collapses and separates you from your party and surrounded by clickers. My goal is to try and put a sizable dent in this over the weekend, so hopefully I can get the hang of this thing again soon.

• Like 1

So, I sold my first writing credit (a supplement for a fighting game pen and paper RPG), and planning on using the money from that (about $120) and trading in old systems (3DS, Vita, 2 360's).. to get a new-gen system and a couple games. I was thinking of getting a PS4 and Madden/UFC.

• Like 3

Repeating advice that was just given to me - DO NOT BUY A PS4 NOW

The new system is getting announced on Sept 7 and there are going to be good/great bundles on either the old or new system

I think waiting the two weeks is worth waiting and seeing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The new system is getting announced on Sept 7 and there are going to be good/great bundles on either the old or new system

I'm hoping the NEO doesn't prove to be too much more expensive. I'm probably going to trade my Day One PS4 towards it despite not having a UHD TV yet.

On 25 August 2016 at 0:06 PM, RIPPA said:

Someone in the UK got hold some of the new PS4 slim models and sold them to CEX, a used video game DVD store. Can't imagine that will sit well with Sony. 

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SPS4S500GB001#.V8Ar6V94WnO

There's a photo on Twitter of the console in their store window too.

Whoever it was claim they will be back later with more to sell along with some VRs

CEX must be crazy to have brought those things.

If they're like Gamestop is now, chances are the person who accepted them at the store just thought it was a PS4.  The video game knowledge of most GS employees is pretty much zero now, they're hiring more straight-up salespeople than actual video game fans.

But if they haven't been announced yet, I doubt they're legit systems.  Probably some sort of knockoff from a site like Aliexpress.

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlextheBird93/status/769111116597329920/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlextheBird93/status/768832354026713088/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

There's some photos. Looks like the first photo was posted yesterday. They have 6 consoles in stock now. Apparently CEX got in trouble with Sony for selling Uncharted 4 before its release date so I'm not sure why they'd take the risk with this, real or not.

Finished up Arkham Knight, save for the last few Azrael missions. Moving on to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Loved the first game and so far, this seems to be living up to it.

I forgot how stressful some of the climbing can be. The camera shots they choose to feature definitely serve that game well in terms of building tension. 

I picked up NO MAN'S SKY and UNCHARTED 4 today for a grand total of $21 thanks to some old giftcards.

Very excited to get started on U4, but I'll probably give NMS a spin first, partially because I'm sure I'll get pissed off by it in short order, and partially because I'm kinda sad that I'll be wrapping up the Uncharated series, like, 2 months after I started playing it.  I basically bingewatched this series, and I'm delaying saying goodbye.

Overcooked is amazing.  You work as chefs having to cook certain dishes and serve them but there's too many jobs for everyone to just stick with one so it's bonkers.

Played it with 4 players last night and it's the most chaotic thing I've ever played.  It's really too bad it's only local co-op, because all of the crew yelling at each other for messing up orders of soup would be incredible.  

• Like 1

I played Gears of War 10 years ago when it came out, and fell away from the series. No real reason, just games weren't a priority at that time.

But since Gears 4 looks amazing, I decided I'm gonna try to rush through 2, 3, and Judgement on their easiest difficulties in a month (which is when 4 comes out).

Almost done with 2 already. Lots of fun.

I felt like I needed a break from the mining grind in NO MAN'S SKY, so I booted up UNCHARTED 4 and was insantly hooked.  I'm 12 chapters in now, and it's freaking amazing.  Although I'm glad I chose to play 1-3 before diving into this, because there are almost MGS4-amounts of cutscenes, and if I didn't have a pre-existing relationship with these characters, I'd probably have gotten impatient during the early going.

I like how they've continued to expand the combat while also streamlining it.  Like, it feels like there's much less basic (i.e. not set-piece based) combat, but I also have way more options in how I approach those encounters.   However I am slightly annoyed they took out the mini-game from 3 that let you throw back grenades.  I guess maybe Drake had to forget that in order to remember he knew how to use a grappling hook after all these years?

I finally saw the "Honest Trailer" for Starcraft 2 and when they showed the clips from the Starcraft World Championships, and all the young, Asian contestants, I really, really, really wish that tournament had been won by some slovenly, morbidly obese American basement dwellers in their late 40's who no one had heard of in the gaming community and had started out playing table top wargames in the 1980s and they had literally come out of nowhere to win this "staged for TV" tournament and during their victory speech they dedicated their win to Larry Bond and started listing all these strategy games from the 1980s that none of the kids in the audience had ever heard of:

"Well Bob here started out playing 'Silent Service' on an Apple IIe, and we met when he came to my computer shop to buy a copy of 'Red Storm Rising' and I told him that he needed to play 'Zulu' which wasn't available in stores, you had to order it out of an ad in 'Computer Gaming World,' and it took six weeks to get to you, but it was awesome because you had this hexagonal map and it was 5,000 Zulu warriors versus 160 British commandos in the 1800s..."

[Camera cuts to horrified teen gamers in the audience, realizing that this is what they will become in 20 years if they don't do good in school and have a decent career.]

2 hours ago, Big Fresh said:

People are nuts to be expecting Red Dead 3 to be revealed today, but I'll be happy to be wrong.

I'm not convinced Sony is going to reveal any games today. If we see games today, it will be existing entities being shown in 4K.