DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Finished the first Episode of Wolf Among Us

I liked at the end they had a little thing that showed how many percent of the people chose the same things you did - though it technically would spoil some stuff for future playthroughs

Which looking at the achievements - it doesn't appear that it is too hard 100% the game - unless some of these storybooks are harder to unlock than they appear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

GTA 5 style driving mechanics.   IMO, GTA 4 and 5 provide the gold standard for sandbox transportation models.  Vehicle weight means something.  Torque means something, Braking power means something, Engine upgrades mean something.  Different classes of vehicles act differently and most importantly, they do not swerve all over Hell and breakfast at the slightest turn.

See, if you try to drive in GTA 4 having gotten used to GTA 5's driving mechanics, you'll wonder who paved the entirety of Liberty City with black ice. And if you get used to 4 and go back to 5, you'll wonder who spilled glue all over the asphalt. And that's before you try to do vehicle jumps.

Your first quarterly 'all those games in my backlog and I chose these!?' Salads gaming summary of 2016.

Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip
Battle Fantasia
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racconus
Virtua Fighter 2 - Mega Drive port lol
Xenoblade Chronicles
Antichamber
Um Jammer Lammy
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
Punch Out!!
Under the Skin
Altered Beast
RUSH
Mercenary Kings
The House of the Dead III
Soul Calibur IV
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip AKA Everybody's Tennis
Mega Man 9
Let's Tap
Jak 3
Wii Fit U
The King of Fighters 2002
Shienryu
Go Vacation
Sin & Punishment
Gungrave Overdose
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
Salamander
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Brief thoughts: ZotE2 is the last time I tell myself this is the last time I play a Kojima game, while Metal Gear Rising is the best developmental rushjob since Super Mario World. Punch Out!! and Sin & Punishment are ace, Everybody's Tennis is the best PSP game I've played and I'm fairly sure I chose the wrong Jak game to try between Jak 3 and the first.

The Wolf Among Us is crazy good. You'll have to play through at least twice for all achievements because to unlock all of the storybook thingies, you will need to make choices in diametric opposition to one another.

I love this game, and it really picks up in the next chapter. I was enthralled all the way throughout. 

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The Wolf Among Us is crazy good. You'll have to play through at least twice for all achievements because to unlock all of the storybook thingies, you will need to make choices in diametric opposition to one another.

I love this game, and it really picks up in the next chapter. I was enthralled all the way throughout. 

I definitely liked it a lot better than the game of thrones game. 

Wolf Among Us is compelling enough that my wife is watching as I play since she instantly got hooked on the concept.

She is already.... displeased with how Episode 1 ended

• Like 1

The Bloodborne grind goes on. After getting my ass kicked by Vicar Amelia half a dozen times i backed off and leveled up a bit. I'm guessing i'm probably a higher level than i should be at this point and i'm going to hit a wall sooner or later but at the moment it's working for me. The advantage with leveling is i get so used to fighting the enemies local to the area i have no problems dealing with even the worse of them.

Grabbed an ax from the store and got some practice in. It's slower than the saw blade but does more damage. Seemed to make the difference though. I was only getting a hit or 2 in anyway on the boss so the slower speed wasn't costing me any hits, but doing more damage. Two more tries and the bitch is dead.

I have no idea where to go next as it doesn't immediately appear to have opened up any new areas. That's a problem for another day.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I definitely liked it a lot better than the game of thrones game. 

I actually don't like most of the Telltale adventure narrative stuff I've played, but The Walking Dead Season One and The Wolf Among Us stuck with me for a long time after I played them. TWAU has that really wonderful '80s noir aesthetic, and it does a solid job of exploring class issues without being too hamhanded or anything. 

I also played it right after Freddie Gray and thought quite a bit about responsible policing of a community as I made my choices. I don't think that the game makers intended that to be a major theme, but it was to me. 

Telltale is busy doing all these Marvel and DC-licensed games instead of Season Two of TWAU, which bums me out. That's one of my most anticipated games. 

finally finished up Kid Icarus: Uprising for the 3ds.

9 hours, 13 minutes of playtime, spread out over about 6 weeks.

When i bought this game, my buddy told me that he called it "Hand Crampicus" because of the awkward way you have to hold the 3ds to play. He was 100% correct. I wasn't able to play more than one "chapter" at a time, and thus it would usually sit for a few days to a week between levels. There are a total of 25 chapters.

the gameplay was pretty neat, as there are two different control schemes, and you use both in each level. Pretty novel, and rather fun too.

The game itself was quite easy. there's a sliding difficulty scale that you can set each time you start a level. i played at 3.5 ("advanced" or something) and didn't have much trouble. what i DIDN'T like was that if/when you died in a level, the difficulty automatically got easier and you started practically at the point you perished. i felt it cheapened the challenge too much. on the other hand, the only thing the difficulty does is make the enemies take more hits and you take less before death.

One thing that really stood out is the fact that the main character, Pit, is CONSTANTLY talking to whatever various gods are involved. like, non-stop. every single level, every waking moment. just jabbering on and on and on. it leaves the game very little time to "breathe" because there's a constant assault on your senses.

on a scale of 10, i'd probably give it a 5 1/2. nothing worth going out of your way to play, but a fun use of time.

Completed the Jury-Rigged and Grandma's Bulldog missions in Watch Dogs Act II and also conquered more added content..

Beating Jury Rigged was a matter of misdirection, takedowns, and headshots.   The only NPCs I killed were the snipers posted on the ledges near one of the ctOS junction boxes I had to hack and I only thumped one bad guy with my baton.  Everyone else I kept scrambling by throwing lures away from my location and activating them. 

Then I did the Signature Shot DLC mission.  Felt good to do the mission in the course of improving my arsenal and as a matter of pseudo plot progression as my current adversaries are the Black Viceroys.  I was able to do this mission with 100% stealth and didn't use any takedowns or lethal attacks.  Lures and good timing did the trick.  I am starting to appreciate lures more and more.

Tested out the Biometric Rifle by doing the Breakthrough DLC story mission which is just a glorified Criminal Convoy but it took three tries to beat the scenario.   Standard IED tactic worked but I had to take down two targets non-lethally instead of one and both of those assholes had D 50s.  I had to modify my strategy by killing the minions first and grenading all nearby vehicles so that the targets could not flee in a car.  Noticed on my second try that one target tries to flee via the L so on Attempt #3, I took a high-ground position at the L-Train station and THEN detonated my bombs along the route when the convoy arrived. 

The explosion blew up the first car in the convoy and the rest of the cars came to a stop.  Time to go to work.  I used frags and my beloved Destroyer heavy sniper rifle to destroy or disable the rest of the cars in the convoy and then I started picking off the Elites with Focus headshots from the Destroyer.  I was lucky that the Targets AI decided to be retarded and stand their ground.  I left my sniper perch and switched to the Signature Shot.  Targets did not realize that I was only using the SS for suppression fire to keep them cowering.  Made my approaches to their recpective while they reloaded and brained them one at a time with the baton.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED~!... and then some asshole do-gooder called the cops... and I forgot to craft or buy more Comm Jammers..

You can't use the Car-On-Demand app nor can you flee via L--Train fast travel during a mission, so I had to take a slight good guy rank hit by kneecapping a Chicago cop and I commandeered his police car and made my getaway.   Eventually found the right formula of environmental hacks and PIT maneuvers to create enough vehicle takedowns to evade the cops.

Shortly after ditching the law after the Breakthrough shootout near the Willis Tower, I got a call from Tobias and suddenly the last mission for the mysterious Weapon Smuggling investigation became available. 

Decided to go lethal with these assholes since they had a lot of firepower and I needed a little XP to get another Skill Point.  Had to survive three waves of bad guys with the last wave having three Enforcers I had to kill.   Frags, IEDs (Prox IEDs = Awesome), and my trusty Grenade Launcher got the job done against the Enforcers.. One of the Enforcers dropped a Light Machine Gun for my future use.  YES~!

I finally got the Magic Smoke achievement during the Weapon Smuggling final mission by lobbing a lure in the middle of a group of thugs, popping my Focus, and mowing down the bad guys with the Biometric Rifle as they investigated the lure.  The Sig Shot is my new favorite weapon.  RoF of a Full-Auto with the precision of a Burst Fire.  NOYCE~!

Getting the Magic Smoke achievement gave me enough Uplay points for the Papavero Stealth Edition!  I NOW HAVE A HACKER BATMOBILE EARLY IN MY PLAYTHROUGH~! FUCK YEAH~!

Checked back at the Bunker and launched Grandma's Bulldog.   Made nice with Clara and then used the backdoor virus I introduced into the Rossi-Fremont ctOS junction boxes in Jury-Rigged to remotely access the Viceroy network. 

I like how Ubisoft pretty much researched every 90's urban gangster saga and threw nearly every trope into the Viceroys.  Rossi-Freemont is pretty much the Carter from New Jack City and boy do the Viceroys like mixing business with pleasure.  DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME AROUND YOUR PARENTS OR YOUR CHILDREN~!  Not sure how Aiden feels, but I can slowly feel my skin coating with slime as the cameras I hack in the Viceroy stronghold pick up criminal activity and random naughty bits. 

The Frank Lucas Drug Dealer 101 policy of having nude or nearly naked women count money and pack product is still trope in anything related to urban crime plotlines and now Watch Dogs joins that fraternity.

Iraq's audio logs are pretty interesting.   Mother fucker is using the ctOS as his own personal ADT security system and he also uses ctOS to anonymously inform on his competitors.  I also hacked a laptop and found out from an e-mail that DedSec is in bed with the Viceroys.   DedSec doesn't take part in any criminal activity, but they are interested in using Iraq's ctOS partition to access the rest of the city.  A drug deal of a different sort.

The trail of electronic breadcrumbs finally leads to my quarry.  the mysterious Iraq.  I get the usual BBEG introduction and Ubi is thoughtful enough to throw in a bit of 90's urban crime movie nostalgia as Iraq bludgeons someone to death for making a dumb joke when he shouldn't have.   I like this guy.  I am going to enjoy burning his criminal empire down around him.   Like any criminal mastermind, Iraq has a flunkie (his cousin, Tyrone "Bedbug" Hayes aka an overweight gangbanger with the worst street nickname ever)  I can compromise to provide me an in and better yet, HE IS FAMILY~!

It also looks like the Viceroys and the Chicago South Club (like the CMB and the Italians in New Jack City) have a fragile truce going on that I am probably going to exploit so that I can take down two criminal organizations for the price of one.

Fixer Contracts are piling up on my map and I need to knock some out in order to get more CCs and GHs markers to populate, so I will get some side crap done before moving on with the next story mission (Not) A Job For Tyrone.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:55 PM, Andrew POE! said:

Based on J.T.'s posts about Watch_Dogs, I'm thinking of finishing that game and trying to Platinum it. I'm probably nuts.

You are nuts.  Once I am done with this playthrough, I am deleting Watch Dogs from my HDD.  

I don't have the patience to deal with the Drinking Game, no one plays this game online so I won't get any multiplayer achievements, and I only payed ten bucks for Watch Dogs during the XBL Ubi sale and i couldn't justify blowing an additional $15 for the Bad Blood DLC just to get more achievements.

The DLC pack I did buy was only $3.99, so buying Watch-Dogs and the Performance Pack cost less than a used copy of Watch Dogs.  Easy math.

17 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Played the SMITE tutorial on PS4.  I think I could enjoy sucking at this game; a MOBA that runs as a 3PS instead of a bird's eye view is an idea I'm surprised I haven't seen before.

Paragon

On 4/2/2016 at 6:05 PM, AxB said:

See, if you try to drive in GTA 4 having gotten used to GTA 5's driving mechanics, you'll wonder who paved the entirety of Liberty City with black ice. And if you get used to 4 and go back to 5, you'll wonder who spilled glue all over the asphalt. And that's before you try to do vehicle jumps.

I never really had a problem with vehicles in GTA 4.  Crappy cars handled like crap and good cars performed well.  It is no coincidence the devs send you off to do Jacob's drug deliveries in a hooptie (because the acceleration is crap and the braking is horrible) and the workaround is to retrieve the package from the hooptie and use another car to run the route.

Driving in GTA 5 was more complicated because not all mods were compatible with each other.   Supercharging some engines was completely usless as it led to engine misifires and oversteering at high velocities.

Driving in Watch Dogs is by far the worst vehicle system I have ever encountered.

Holy shit these fucking Car Delivery Fixer Contracts.   It is bad enough that it feels like I am driving on ice and now I am swapping out of three different vehicles and having to eyeball the map to find shortcuts and God forbid I am on a motorcycle and get knocked off my bike when I run red lights trying to get to a delivery point halfway across Chicago.

At least Watch Dogs has the good taste to give me an autosave after every successful delivery checkpoint so that I don't have to do the whole thing over if the clock runs out during the current delivery.

Decoy and Inteceptor FCs are dirt simple now that I control every bridge, traffic light, blocker, and steam vent in the city and have access to the Papavero Stealth Edition.   I just call for the Hacker Batmobile, activate the contract and get shit done.

I'm guessing I will get no more Burner Phone, QR Code, or Missing Person investigation icons until after I complete Act II.  I am hoping that I did not glitch myself out of things by being proactive and accessing all 13 CtOS towers so early in the game.

Successfully blackmailed Bedbug so it is nearly time to *sinister Ultron voice* tear the Viceroys apart from the inside.  The budding romantic relationship between Pearce and Claire feels a bit forced and I have a feeling that given the DedSec "Hey Viceroys, Let's Play Nice!" e-mails I found in the Grandma's Bulldog mission, I have the suspicion that

Spoiler

the mysterious lady hacker in the corrupted video file is Claire.

so we'll see how this plays out... probably tragically.

I am hoping that I did not glitch myself out of things by being proactive and accessing all 13 CtOS towers so early in the game.

You are ok.  That is what I did also, mostly so I can use the fast travel because most of the cars are so useless.

Tried to make it through the Psychedelia digital trip again to see maybe if it was actually fun and if I just didn't approach it with an open mind.

Yeah, fuck that flower jumping game.  Second chance for Madness comes tonight after work.

Didn't really do any story missions last night.  Took time out to knock out more CCs and GHs.  Nearly at the mark where I get two more achievements.  Fixer Contracts are also piling up, so I need to knock them out to get more CCs and GHs to spawn on my map.

Now that I have the Bunker as my safe house and use the Papavero Stealth, I have taken to wearing either the Alone outfit or the Nemesis outfit as my nighttime crimefighter apparel..

I have pretty much abandoned Aiden's default hobo suit.  I use the Wayfarer outfit as my daytime "plain clothes" and the Cutthroat outfit as my daytime crimefighter gear.

I hate most of the DLC outfits.  If Blume and the Black Viceroys are my adversaries, why do I want to dress like them.  Especially the Black Viceroys as it seems like no one at Ubi knows the dangers of flying the wrong flag in the wrong fucking neighborhood. 

The Cyberpunk outfit is harmless enough, but the green slime smeared on the DedSec outfit makes me look like I have no washer and dryier at my hideout.  The Untouchables outfit also looks dumb.  I hate that fucking 30's fedora thrown onto the edgy cyberpunk clothing. 

Don't get me started on using a Tommy Gun in modern day Chicago.  I stick to the modern firearms.

*sigh* I wish I knew that "complete ten Chess puzzles" stipulation for unlocking the Assault Rifle mastery skill didn't necessarily mean get to a Rank 10 puzzle with one NPC.  My brother is also playing this game and got to Rank 5 with two different NPCs and unlocked the skill.

I unlocked another SongSneak track.  Two more to find.  I hate this.  My new thing is to park myself near a newstand or a business and profile citizens while I wait for song to change and then I bring up SongSneak to make sure it isn't a track I already have.  Hacking phones until I refill my System Key supply breaks up the tedium.

I have yet to bring down a police helicopter, but it is nice to know that they are not impervious to damage.   The Disable Helicopter hack and a couple of shots from The Destroyer will make them beg off, but a replacement copter comes in a hurry so you need to jam ctOS scans and get the fuck out of dodge once air support makes an egress.

If WD2 is ever made, I expect the game to at least have helicopters if not airplanes  Hopefully it will not be like GTA 4 where I almost need a pilot's license to properly operate aircraft.  GTA 5 got planes and choppers SOOOOOO much better than GTA 4, although I am still probably the worst jet plane pilot in the history of GTA 5.

5 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

JT, how is the Bad Blood DLC, if you've tried it?  Went through my trophy list last night and realized I hadn't played it.

I haven't bought it and don't really plan to unless something happens at the end game that compels me to keep playing. 

If it had been discounted during the XBox Store Ubisoft Sale, I probably would've purchased it, but it was 5 bucks more than the discounted price for Watch Dogs and another five bucks got me the Performance Pack that got me 3 DLC content packages for the price of one.