DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I actually like doing the Convoy missions because of the logistics challenge.   I have set roadside bombs, launched grenade attacks, used environmental hacks, and even laid in wait on a highway overpass with a sniper rifle and murdering the target driver with a head-on killshot.  I don't mind going bullet for bullet with gun wielding crooks.   I am reticent to kill Blume security guards even with the benefit of the television interlude during the Buy An Assault Rifle interlude conveniently telling me that they are supposed to be corrupt.

I started out doing the Convoys like that, but once you unlock the higher level environmental hacks like being able to make steam pipes blow up, they (and police chases) are incredibly easy for the most part.  Some of the later ones make you take the target alive though.

IIRC you get the level 5 trophies during missions.  I seem to remember getting most of the trophies organically via gameplay and not having to grind too much.  The online ones can be tough mostly because it's dead and hard to find people to play with.

20 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

I started out doing the Convoys like that, but once you unlock the higher level environmental hacks like being able to make steam pipes blow up, they (and police chases) are incredibly easy for the most part.  Some of the later ones make you take the target alive though.

I had to take down my first CC target.   I used an IED to blow up the lead car and was lucky that the target came out of his car to shoot me rather than try to get away.  I jammed their coms and then lobbed a grenade to blow up the other cars in the convoy lest anyone try make a break for it.  Then I thwacked the target with my baton after I killed his guards and bailed in an abandoned car.

In my second CC, I used a sniper file I got from a Gang Hideout to score a head-on killshot on the target and then used the environmental hacks to get away from reinforcements.   I had to restart the mission only once because I was dumb and accidentally blew out the tires on my getaway vehicle with road spikes.  Me and my crappy timing.

I am amazed by the full stealth / non-lethal Gang Hideout vids, but that really isn't my style as it is too much fun to take out enemies by remotely detonating their grenades and overloading electrical panels and what good is Focus and my silenced pistol if I don't use them?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to order that tomorrow from Amazon for $48, but I think this is a better idea.

Man, I hope they remastered Maniac Mansion I (preferably based on the NES version) for the Easter egg in Ed's room. Ain't nobody want to play it in CGA on a PS4.

They didn't remaster anything, it's the CGA blips and bloops version

Holy crap,  my best gaming experience with Watch Dogs so far is cleaning mother fuckers out during a game of Texas Hold 'Em.

Fuck you, Eddie Penney.  I knew you didn't have shit in the last hand.

I was sweating bullets one time where the pot was close to $2K.  I pulled a Le Chifre, played the odds, and made my straight when the dealer dealt the river.

Now I have to hope my Achievement Whore OCD subliminally forces me to endure the other mini-games which do not look like a lot of fun.  The Shell Game and the Drinking Game look particularly painful.

Yeah, those are pretty bad.  I did enough of the drinking game to get the trophy/perk, but the shell game I played once and that was enough.  I guess they put out a patch to make these playable, because when the game first came out, it was pretty much impossible to win either game.

I agree the poker is pretty fun though.  You can tell they actually spent some time with that mini-game instead of most of them that come off like they were coded in a day or two by a high school intern.

Anyway, I have barely touched my PS4 since my wife got me a Genesis for Christmas.  This generation of games just doesn't interest me too much.  I have been trying to play the new Need for Speed but I get booted off a lot (for whatever reason the game requires you to be online all the time) and Battlefront, even with the additional content, got pretty stale to me.  I will probably end up getting Just Cause 3 at some point, but there really isn't much out there that interests me unless it goes on a deep sale on PSN. 

I have found some cool Amazon, Etsy, and Facebook stores so I have been finding some great Genesis games for a few bucks each.  OG Street Fighter II CE is so great and it was only 6 bucks complete in box.    The prices of some games are grossly inflated though.  I resorted to a reproduction cartridge of The Punisher because I am not paying $75+ for a Genesis game.

That's what I used to do back in the day.  I had a really nice one with padding and everything.  I only have a couple of loosies right now though, one of which is Lethal Enforcers, which I still need to find a Justifier for.

29 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Don't bother unless you have a CRT TV to run it on. Light guns don't work with most digital TVs.

My brother still keeps an old Zenith at his house for Drunken Duck Hunt Fridays with his friends.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Don't bother unless you have a CRT TV to run it on. Light guns don't work with most digital TVs.

Yup, I know that.  I have a old CRT in a different room that I have a Wii hooked up to occupy my wife's nieces when they come over (plus I have a ton of Virtual Console games on it and didn't want to sell it).  Lethal Enforcers actually works ok using the pad but I loved that big ass gun back in the day, even with the girly colors :b

I have my Genesis hooked up to a HDTV, which is sacrilege to some people, but I have been able to tweak the settings (disable smoothing and the like) to where it looks pretty good.  I might bite the bullet at some point to go full RGB with it, but I'd probably want to get a model 1 system first. 

My wife normally isn't a big gamer except for puzzle stuff, but she does like the older games.  We had a lot of fun last weekend playing co-op on Bare Knuckle 3, me as Axel and her as Blaze. 

I am still 100% in my non-lethal ctOS station infiltrations.   The Mad Mile ctOS station was an easy breach.  I didn't even have to go all the way into the station and there were plenty of cameras to use to find the guard with the code and the hidden camera guard's route took him right by the server room.

The station in The Wards, however, was a bit of a problem but I finally hit on the magic combination of entry ways and vantage points to get in and remain unseen and undetected. 

I nearly used up all of my lures getting the asshole guard with the GoPro camera to look in the direction I needed in order to hack the CtOS junction box, but I got in and got out without firing a shot or even having to use my baton. 

I think I have 3 more ctOS towers to go before I clear them all and one of those is my last infiltration; the station at Brandon Docks.  I think I have only had to KO one guard so far during my ctOS station break-ins and that was during the Pawnee ctOS station infiltration on Bernai Island.  It sucked that I had to unlock the tower access, escape, and then swim back and re-infiltrate the place to check into the Bernai Island City Hotspot.

Fixer Contracts are getting to be a pain in the ass, especially the Interception missions.  Targets are now trying to escape to Pawnee where the environmental hacks I need to stop pursuers are few and far between.  Now that I can make steam pipes asplode, getting rid of Enforcers should be a little easier. The key to the Infiltration FCs seems to be to smash the target's car to the point where the engine is smoking, wait for the data download, and then PIT the target car to force the driver to escape on foot.   I usually just run over the guy at that point and make a break for it because I don't want to get out of my car to shoot the target and leave myself open for his Fixer helpers to start shooting at me.

I've got 13 FCs done and there are four more on my map along with two Gang Hideouts (I've done 3) and two Criminal Convoys (I've done 4).  The Achievement Nerd in me wants to complete all of the FCs, CCs, and GHs for the gamer score but also for the sweet weapons I will unlock. I am almost at the point where I get the free combat shotgun and the free 50 cal anti-vehicle sniper rifle.

I still need to suffer through two more rounds of the Shell Game and I am way behind on participating in the stupid Drinking Game and at some point I will need to tackle the Chess challenges so I can unlock my last Focus upgrade.  Focus and caffeine are saving my ass when I do Gang Hideouts since I have no reservations about going into Bullet Time and gunning down criminals in cold blood in order to get to their boss.

I still haven't hit the right scenario to score four kills while Focus is up or kill three enemies with an IED. 

The Thanks For The Tip mission is a breeze when you have a shitload of explosives and a really good assault rifle.  All you have to do is take out the snipers and make sure you don't get flanked while picking off the other Fixers.  The only problem is that using grenades on the cars that the Fixers use for cover pretty much limits your transportation options.  I don't like taking the rep hits for carjacking citizens, so I just wandered around until I found a car to steal since you can't use Jordi's Cars On Demand ap while you are on a mission.

And your eyes do not deceive you.  I just completed Thanks For The Tip last night which means that I have gotten all of that side stuff done (about 30 or so game hours logged) and still have not completed Act 1.  Jordi has me going on some infiltration mission next as the gang banger he stabbed in the ribs in the game intro apparently did not die and will ID me for Chicago PD if I don't get to him before he squeals, so hopefully I will get to use one of my newly crafted Blackouts as I go to have a chat with this Fixer boss who also has his sights on this informant...

I got the Communication Fail achievement last night.  The Blume Operatives I shut down did indeed count towards the achievement.  Much easier to just take time to wander around looking for them, hack their phones, and then casually shadow them and swat their smart phones out of their hands as they call to rat you out to Blume than it is to try to chase down a normal citizen calling the cops as they run away from you at top speed.

Picked up Bloodborne today since it's dropped in price. This might be the most unforgiving game I've ever played. I got to a group of maybe 6 enemies right at the start of the game and probably died 10 times before i finally got the hang of the controls. Made a little progress over an hour or so which seems to have amounted to me doubling back to where i started before finally getting my head smashed in by some ogre looking thing with a brick. Fun times. I went from hating it to enjoying it over the course of the hour and a half or so i played but i feel like this will take some time to get into.

How do i level up in this thing because i'm getting my ass kicked. A lot. Help?

I think I'm starting to get the hang of EA UFC 2 online, as I went 4-2 last night and took one decision win that I felt I should have lost. I am still not great on the ground or in the clinch, and escaping submissions has been a bit of a headache. I'm thinking of working on those aspects in career mode to get better, but for now, I've been focusing on guys with strong standup online, and it's been paying dividends.

20160326_131434_zpsjf7jymiy.jpgYou know it is true love when your significant other gives you Genesis games as an anniversary present :)

I've been wanting The Terminator because playing it on a phone emulator makes the last level too tough (impossible to make precise jumps with touch controls), Garaies is one of the holy grails of Genesis collecting, and Viewpoint was a freebie thrown in by the store.

been watching people play Battlefleet Gothic Armada (Warhammer 40K ship battles)

They just added the Orks, which are hilariously fun. They even have a big red button which is basically "Forward at maximum speed. FUCK TURNING! LET'S RAM SOMEFING! WAAGGGGGH!"

Trying to Platinum Dead Nation right now but the last mission on Grim sucks ass. I did it separately on Grim and was able to unlock Morbid difficulty but this is Housemarque's worst game. It's so broken.

I'm also doing Ghost Recon Future Soldier online trophies. If you're thinking about doing it, don't. There's no one playing the game and trophies can be earned in squads mode with about 7 other people. I got one of the hardest/rarest trophies yesterday which requires you to do a challenge and send back to a friend five times.

I'm also watching boss battles from Dark Souls 3 online. I don't want to be spoiled for actual areas, I just want to know what I'll be facing.

Started playing Mass Effect 1 again. I thought it was on Insanity but apparently you have to complete Hardcore to unlock Insanity. Is that right? Anyway, because my first playthrough was Femshep and mostly Paragon, this time I'm playing He-Shep and Renegade. It makes me wish you could do physique edits, because I made a very aggressive looking Shepard, with a think neck, square jaw ad jutting brow, and a resting frowny scowlface. But he has such a jacked up alpha male head, that the default (unchangeable) body looks all skinny armed and narrow shoulders. Like if you grafted Batista's head onto Stevie Richards' body.