DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

New year, new thread, everybody!

Like most folks, I'm banging away at Fallout 4, but there's going to be a lot of other great stuff to look forward to this year.

Is it too early to start counting down to "Holiday 2016" for Mass Effect: Andromeda yet? I hope not.

• Like 1

For Christmas I got both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Batman: Arkham Knight

I also got a gift card that I am going to use to get Guitar Hero since I am an idiot.

So with all that and Fallout 4 - I have enough to last me until ME4

That being said - I am with Foz and fully expect it to be delayed until at least March 2017

I got seven games for Christmas. Its ridiculous. I am still playing Fallout 4 :(

I am thinking once I am done with that, the correct play order will be GTA V, MGS V,  Divinity: Original Sin, Ori and the Blind Forest, Gears of War Enhanced, Darksiders 2, and Rare Replay. Some of those are really long games so I should be well occupied until at least the summer. I think Dark Souls 3 is the only game coming out the next nine months that I must play near its launch.

It is interesting we all (well three of us) are still plugging away at Fallout 4. I have avoided that thread because I didn't want spoilers, but I guess I am not the only one that enjoys it but it didn't suck me in enough that I "must play it" ever day to beat it.

It is interesting we all (well three of us) are still plugging away at Fallout 4. I have avoided that thread because I didn't want spoilers, but I guess I am not the only one that enjoys it but it didn't suck me in enough that I "must play it" ever day to beat it.

For me, it's just that I don't have as much time to game anymore and Fallout games traditionally take me 100+ hours because I will loot (or at least investigate looting) every single thing I see. Now that the junk is actually used for stuff, my packrat nature in video games will add even more hours to my playthrough. The game has sucked me in just as much as the last few! At any rate, I'll likely still be playing Fallout 4-5 months from now.

In other news, I put a bit more time into AC:Syndicate today. They really upped the brutality of the combat. Evie ain't afraid to fuck some shit up.

FYI - The Fallout 4 thread is fairly spoiler free

All the story line stuff is in spoiler boxes

Really they only thing you are learning are location and companion names.

Oh and which companions are turning me on.

• Like 3

My wife and I both started on Fallout 4 in the past week. It has consumed her and I'm also super into it. I'm considering using this as a reason we also need an Xbone (as I've quickly discovered that there's fuckall for racing games on PS4) but I don't see it happening.

I've played as much Undertale as I'm willing to.

Here's what's up.

I think the writing in that game is masterfully done given all the weird fucking directions it's pulled in at once

I think I have to play one more second of bullet hell in my life, I might die. It is, by far, my least favorite genre. There's no competition.

Having to push through a bunch of a game I hate playing to get to a game I love seeing is so brutal. I turned to a youtube playthrough to get what I wanted.

currently, i'm just playing ultra street fighter 4 to get my execution back up to something nearing acceptable before 5 comes out. real fun stuff. 100 successful quarter circles, half circles, dp motions, and double quarters per side, then an hour on studying BnB combos with Abel (20 minutes in practice, 40 minutes against AI on hard). I picked Abel because of the three characters I'm interested in in 5 (Necalli, Birdie, Alex) Abel seems to have enough things in common with all three that getting him down should put me in a place to be ready for those characters. Plus, a Rushdown character* like Abel is a completely fresh slate from how I used to play (either Blanka or Ryu, and Hakan when he was new, but either way range games) so that's engaging too.

complicating this whole process is that my older brother has decided to give 5 a shot, and he has decided on Dhalsim, and that is serving as an adequate enough mindfuck because he's not learning punishes that well but he's got his zoning pretty much down.

*in a capcom game. when i was a teenager i played a ton of king of fighters. Iori was always the centerpiece of my team.
also the reason i'm including birdie in that list of Go Get Them people is cuz in alpha I played birdie sodom and dan most so i feel like attached to the return of birdie in a weird way

That's funny because I thought the shmup stuff in Undertale was a useful break from the shitty Earthbound-style RPG that I had to endure whenever combat ended. Different strokes and all that.

I don't think I even got halfway through it, on reflection. 

I only have two more days before it's back to teaching for me, so in this time, I'm stuffing as many hours into strategy/tactics/4X games as possible. GalCiv, Breach & Clear, X-COM, Europa Universalis, Civ V + Brave New World, and Crusader Kings. These, along with WRPGs, are becoming my favorite genres. 

I see that they have DLC to open up an earlier start point + added kingdoms. What is so bad about it compared to typical DLC? Genuinely curious.

I just got the game to carry out assassination plots, sire bastard children, and create Antipopes to piss off the Vatican, so I feel like I got my money's worth with the base game.

I ended up getting Rock Band 4

I said Guitar Hero earlier but that is because I am an idiot and can't read a box

Doesn't really make a difference to me as I am sure I will get both eventually

Only got the guitar because living in an apartment - I will never ever be able to use the drums (I think I might have drummed like 4 times totally in all the previous versions of the game)

I see that they have DLC to open up an earlier start point + added kingdoms. What is so bad about it compared to typical DLC? Genuinely curious.

I just got the game to carry out assassination plots, sire bastard children, and create Antipopes to piss off the Vatican, so I feel like I got my money's worth with the base game.

It's the sheer amount of it. I think there's literally 50 pieces of DLC at this point that if you paid full price (and I assume and hope no one is paying full price) push the retail cost of the game up to something like $250. And so much of it is just rinky dink bullshit that should have been in the main game to begin with.

To be fair, most of the DLC is cosmetic and totally ignorable unless you need your units to look a certain way. The content DLC is mostly really good, except for the weird Aztec invasion one, and they do major free updates to coincide with DLC releases.

"The content DLC is mostly really good" so that cuts it down to currently 8 or 9? At a retail over $100 for DLC on top of a $40 game (though no one pays $40 for it because the base game is always on sale, and it's been humble bundled).

It's massive, massive overkill.

"Free updates" is not a selling point. It's a PC game in the 2010's. The game has thousands of small bugs, patching them is a baseline of acceptability for your company not being considered a large scale scam. THeir first wave pathes almost always break something major too, like the pre Charlemagne patch that fucked up the game for a week or two where if you clicked on the religion tab it would straight up crash the game. It's a game that's gotten too complex for it's own good, but in a sense that is part of what makes it fun when it actually goes.

Some of the cosmetic DLC is just embarrassing. Black people are DLC in this game. You cannot play as a black person in the base game no matter where you start in Africa. Asian people are DLC in this game. Multiple family crest packs, each priced separately? I'm not even interested in the opinions of anyone that actually rewarded that sort of behaviour with their money.

The really frustrating part? The base game is really good. And yes most of the added content is really good. I enjoyed the game very much, it's a really unique and interesting title that doesn't play quite like any other video game I've ever played. The actual gameplay is very deep, really fires the imagination, and is totally worthy of all the praise it gets. I just don't think that "hey it's a good game" means we shouldn't also say "hey Paradox is sort of a shitty cash grabbing company that could nickel and dime people less and actually help themselves". I can believe both those things at once without it hurting my enjoyment of the finished product.

Paradox is a very well named company because on one hand it would be nice to see them do more things, and yet so many of the things they do are just flat out ridiculous and are only defended because strategy gamers will defend, frankly, just about anything when it comes to major strategy titles.

You know how in Sleeping Dogs, it has leaderboards of everyone on your friends list, showing how many headshots and stealth kills and... basically everything you can do in the game (that can be counted) you have? One of my friends (who I met playing Destiny, of all things) seems to have played it non-stop for several years, has Platinumed (Platinumbed? Platinummed?) it, but his stats are ridiculous. Other people who have just played it to story completion have like 42 of something, Neil has 100-ish, and this guy has 300+.

I already beat his race times though. Cristobal would hate the racing in this game, because crashing into people (or objects) and smashing their cars up actually costs you money (and I think XP as well).

One of my XBox friends I got via JT - had all the Top Scores in Sleeping Dogs and JT told me once that he was a professional gamer (or something close to that - I am old) and that is why all his scores were absurdly high.

I didn't even bother trying to top him.

Put a couple hours into The Witcher III last night. I do fully admit to having it on baby difficulty, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how fluid battle feels. The only time I have some trouble is if I can't get the camera to whip around fast enough (pack of wolves gave me a little trouble). I know next to nothing about the universe, but I'm enjoying Geralt and the cast so far, and I don't think like I'm missing things because I haven't played the previous games yet.

I really want to focus on clearing out a few fifty-hour monsters this year. MGSV (and Peace Walker), the Kingdom Hearts games, finish my current playthrough on Arkham Knight, etc. And yet, this weekend I've mostly been playing pre-Quake FPS (Dark Forces and Strife), Marvel Heroes and Amplitude.

Rule #1 when you play Foz, and my friends at Rocket League?

Talk Shit?

Get Hit.

we played a pair of Ranked games against the same team. First game, they won 3-1.My friend was going for a ball and demo'd an opponent, who swore at him in chat. They then talked shit to us, and of course, we responded in kind.

Next game, we get matched up with the same opponent team. I decide I'm going to be Fozzie the Asshole (which is a valid strategy in this game). That guy who started throwing a shit fit? He was their goalie.. so I just ignored the ball and kept driving into him, so he couldn't play goalie. That drove him nuts, and soon he left the net alone to prevent me from annoying him (and they didn't have anyone cover the net to clear things out, so they had to scramble everytime we broke on them). We won that second game.

• Like 2