DVDVR Message Board

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis II (8/31/2013) - Milwaukee, WI (BMO Harris Bradley Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Anthony Pettis’ request to fight featherweight champion Jose Aldo just moments after winning the UFC lightweight title might have been a tad premature.

Jesus Christ, Pettis, stay in your division and stop screwing shit up.

BTW I hear "Real American" any time I see that Rothwell GIF online.

What if Aldo moves up to fight Pettis?  He's been talking about a move up to lightweight before, and he wanted to fight Edgar when he was champion.

Aldo has done just about everything possible at featherweight.  He has always had trouble cutting weight and it is about time to go up to lightweight.  Chad Mendes is the only guy who I think could possibly challenge him, and Aldo smashed him the first time they fought.  Him going up to lightweight could lead to so many fun fights.  The only issue I could see is that lightweight has so many killers they would end up just knocking each other off.  I wouldn't be surprised if Aldo lost to any of the top 5 lightweights, but I would pay money to see him fight any of them.

1. Also, is there a name for the armbar Pettis used? He had both arms and it looked twisty, hurty, and fancy.

2. I expect some WWE guy to start using a D'arce choke now.

1. Pettis used a classic armbar to beat Henderson; the difference was the angle of application.  Pettis had to establish wrist control on Ben's right arm instead of his left to defend aganist strikes from Ben's lead hand.  If Pettis had applied the technique straight away after securing wrist control, Ben could defend against the hold because his arm would bend at the elbow at that angle. 

Pettis had to modify the technique and twist Ben's arm the other way in order to get the torque needed to get Ben to tap out while still maintaining wrist contro and using his position to defend against strikes from Ben's left hand .  That was some high level BJJ displayed.

Big ups to Pettis for not letting the judges control his fate.

2.  And yeah, I think the D'Arce Choke is one of the few MMA / BJJ techniques not to be used as a worked finisher.  It's my favorite technique when I am sparring.

I don't know why people aren't using the Twister as a finish either, loads of neat ways of hooking that up.

the twister is a variation of the Regal Stretch. or, possibly, the other way around.

and the anaconda choke is my favorite of the d'arce style chokes. the rolling of it would be fantastic in a prowres setting.

I don't know why people aren't using the Twister as a finish either, loads of neat ways of hooking that up.

Because, huge muscular guys aren't people who would want to be in a twister.  It is one of those submissions that are much more painful if you are heavily muscled,(kimuras are generally more effective on people with muscular shoulders for instance) and I think it would be hard to work without really stretching the guy. 

Pettis' armbar was magnificent for multiple reasons.  First, he didn't telegraph it, which happens a lot in MMA.  Second he kept his hips glued tightly to Henderson, so he couldn't slip his elbow out when he pulled away.  He was able to keep the second arm trapped so Henderson couldn't use it to punch pettis or for leverage to pry his legs of of his head.  Finally he was able to turn it over so he could extend his hips to put maximum pressure on the arm.  His jiu jitsu technique is top notch. 

To add to that, the Twister, much like the Gogo, is hard to setup. The percentage of success tends to be lower than that of other submissions, so in an MMA bout, it's worth it to pursue other submissions unless the opponent just leaves the door wide open for you, like Garcia did against the Korean Zombie. 

To add to that, the Twister, much like the Gogo, is hard to setup. The percentage of success tends to be lower than that of other submissions, so in an MMA bout, it's worth it to pursue other submissions unless the opponent just leaves the door wide open for you, like Garcia did against the Korean Zombie. 

I meant the twister in pro wres.