DVDVR Message Board

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis II (8/31/2013) - Milwaukee, WI (BMO Harris Bradley Center)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_164_Henderson_vs._Pettis_2_Poster.jp

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis II
August 31, 2013
Milwaukee, WI (BMO Harris Bradley Center)

UFC Lightweight Championship: Benson Henderson © (155) vs. Anthony Pettis (154.5) (fourth defense) - Pettis, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:31)
Frank Mir (248) vs. Josh Barnett (255) - Barnett, TKO (knee), R1 (1:56)
Chad Mendes (145) vs. Clay Guida (146) - Mendes, TKO (punches), R3 (0:30)
Ben Rothwell (262) vs. Brandon Vera (241) - Rothwell, TKO (strikes), R3 (1:54)
Erik Koch (145) vs. Dustin Poirier (145.5) - Poirier, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Jamie Varner (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (155) - Tibau, DEC (split)
Louis Gaudinot (125) vs.Tim Elliot (125.5) - Elliot, DEC (unanimous)
Pascal Krauss (170) vs. Hyun Gyu Lim (171) - Lim, TKO (strikes), R1 (3:58)
Chico Camus (135) vs. Kyung Ho Kang (136) - Camus, DEC (unanimous)

Facebook Preliminary Card:
Soa Palelei (265) vs. Nikita Krylov (236) - Palelei, TKO (punches), R3 (1:34)
Ryan Couture (156) vs. Al Iaquinta (156) - Iaquinta, DEC (unanimous)
Jared Hamman (185.5) vs. Magnus Cedenblad (185) - Cedenblad, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (0:57)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Knockout of the Night: Chad Mendes
Submission of the Night: Anthony Pettis
Fight of the Night: Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Pascal Krauss

Attendance: 9,178
Gate: $907,116
Buyrate: 270,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Benson Henderson vs. TJ Grant - Injury to Grant (concussion)
Yoel Romero vs. Brian Houston - Injury to Houston
Ryan Couture vs. Quinn Mulhern - Injury to Mulhern (Hand)
Derek Brunson vs. Yoel Romero - Injury to Brunson

so i just watched Henderson/Pettis 1 for the first time (travesty, i know). It absolutely lives up to all the hype given it and is, off the top of my head, the best 5 round fight i've ever seen. i don't expect the rematch to live up to those high standards, but it should be a fantastic fight. can't wait for saturday.

• Like 2

You can tell that Henderson is still stinging from that defeat and he's become a much smarter fighter since then.  He's itching to avenge that loss but Pettis is as hungry for that title as he ever was.

I want to think that Pettis's explosiveness will be the deciding factor.  I don't think that he can allow this to go to the judge's scorecards, because Henderson has a knack for winning those close decisions against guys that don't finish fights.

You can tell that Henderson is still stinging from that defeat and he's become a much smarter fighter since then.  He's itching to avenge that loss but Pettis is as hungry for that title as he ever was.

I want to think that Pettis's explosiveness will be the deciding factor.  I don't think that he can allow this to go to the judge's scorecards, because Henderson has a knack for winning those close decisions against guys that don't finish fights.

You can't hold it against anyone for not being able to finish Benson Henderson.  The only time he was ever stopped was in his third fight back in 2007.  Henderson's biggest strengths are the fact that he is incredibly durable and he never gets tired.  If you want to beat Henderson you will have to be able to match his pace for 25 minutes, which is next to impossible. 

Henderson and Pettis is going to be fucking epic, because neither one of them ever slows down.  Their first fight may be my favorite MMA fight ever.  The showtime kick gets all the headlines, but that was just the cherry on top of an amazing fight. 

Oh, I agree totally.  I think that some folks are placing a lot of focus on the Showtime Kick and maybe too little on where the careers of both fighters has gone since that fight.  I tend to side with the people that think that Pettis has Henderson's number, but people also thought that Frankie Edgar had Benson's number too.  That loss was the best thing that could've happened to Benson because his overall game has improved dramatically.

so i just watched Henderson/Pettis 1 for the first time (travesty, i know). It absolutely lives up to all the hype given it and is, off the top of my head, the best 5 round fight i've ever seen. i don't expect the rematch to live up to those high standards, but it should be a fantastic fight. can't wait for saturday.

That's not even the best five rounder involving a Henderson. It's a great fight, sure, but Rua/Hendo is one of the most brutal combat sports encounters of all time.

It seems like history has flattened the first Pettis/Benson fight to the wall walk but it was a helluva fight for all five rounds. Very excited for the main event.

That's not even the best five rounder involving a Henderson. It's a great fight, sure, but Rua/Hendo is one of the most brutal combat sports encounters of all time.

It seems like history has flattened the first Pettis/Benson fight to the wall walk but it was a helluva fight for all five rounds. Very excited for the main event.

No way.  Rua/Hendo while extremely fun to watch is basically two completely past their prime guys who both can take a hell of a punch.  Nothing resembling any high level MMA whatsoever.  Hendo/Pettis is non stop action by two guys right in their prime. Both capable in every area the fight goes in.  Just an awesome fight.  Rua/Hendo is basically an old guy version of Griffin/Bonnar.  

Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis 1 was my 2010 Fight of the Year, a great fight. Hope the rematch is at the same level. Out of the WEC fights I've seen, I'd only have it second to Henderson/Cerrone 1 at WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson which was my 2009 Fight of the Year.

I think it's safe to say WEC was fucking awesome.  I don't know why there is a Pride never dies group, and not a WEC never dies group.  Just think of the number of Pride guys who came in and got their doors blown off in comparision to the WEC guys who have come in and immedieately became contenders and champions.  Henderson and Condit have won titles, Aldo has solidified himself as a top 4 guy pound for pound, and Pettis has solidified himself as an absolute killer at lightweight. 

WEC FOR LLLLIIIIIIIFFFFFFFEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what is your actual opinion? Is it that he can't beat a wrestler(which he's done)? Or is it that you think they deliberately avoided wrestlers for his matchups? And if so, who did you want him to fight coming off of his decision loss to Guida? 

Right and how many wrestlers did he face between this fight and the last? How did that fight go?

How did it go? Well, Clay Guida bounced around the ring a ton doing nothing, BUT LOOKING EXCITING with his EXCITING HAIR, he would take Pettis down and then immediately have to defend against Pettis' submission attempts, Pettis got Clay's back, and despite otherwise doing jack shit, Clay taking Pettis' back to continue doing jack shit got him a decision victory.

In short: Fuck Clay Guida.

• Like 1

My argument is that they protected him and that Benson is gonna smother him.

This makes absolutely no sense. Your logic is basically that Pettis has been protected from facing wrestlers just so Dana and Joe Silva can book Pettis against a top notch wrestler...