DVDVR Message Board

External hard drive question

Adam

Hi guys, was hoping there'd be some sort of 'catchall' thread for pointless question so to avoid starting a new thread for something so small.

I want to buy an external HD but i've never had one from anywhere. Most of the ones i've seen are USB 3.0, my PC is a few years old, would it still work with USB 1 and USB2 on my PCs and laptops?

If so, anyone able to recommend a decent place to buy? I want a 2TB or 3TB one ideally, places like the big ones such as Currys and Amazon are about £60. 

Ta

-Adam

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

USB3 is backwards compatible with USB1 and 2, so you're fine there.

I've used externals from both Seagate and Western Digital and had no problems. I've had some rotten luck with Toshiba drives, though.

Ideally I want an external HDD to run video files directly to my PC which is connected to my TV, I have hundreds of burned DVDs full of video files that i'd just love in one organised place.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1434716.htm

This is the best value i've found, any thoughts on this and if it would be ideal for what I'm after?

Ideally I want an external HDD to run video files directly to my PC which is connected to my TV, I have hundreds of burned DVDs full of video files that i'd just love in one organised place.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1434716.htm

This is the best value i've found, any thoughts on this and if it would be ideal for what I'm after?

I have a 5TB version of that same drive, it's a good drive.

Yep, it's no problem at all. Similar to Tabe, I stream from an external drive using Plex and it works great.