DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE KINGDOM 10 in TOKYO DOME

Raziel

Two terrific matches in Kazuchika Okada © vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship as the main event and Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. AJ Styles for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

I’d say this was the best ever Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi match, what chemistry they have. Okada one step ahead in the beginning of this match, Tanahashi’s Dragon Screw using the post followed by a Sling Blade on the ring apron. Both men kicking out of each other’s finish, Okada managing to hold onto Tanahashi’s wrist while both sold exhaustion on their knees going into three Rainmakers for the win. *****.

Shinsuke Nakamura’s had three great IWGP Intercontinental Championship matches at Wrestle Kingdom against Kazushi Sakuraba, Kota Ibushi and AJ Styles. I gave the first two *****, I’d probably give the same for this. I liked Nakamura’s work on the back with the uranage into a backbreaker and instead of doing the usual running knees to the stomach while the opponent is laid on the top turnbuckle onto the back instead. The Triangle Choke countered into a one armed Styles Clash stood out, so did the nasty Boma Ye’s.

What a surprise, the show went from meh to great as soon as shitty ROH guys weren't involved. It was 7 matches into the card before there was a match without gaijin involved.  The last 4 matches delivered huge, but the show before Naito/Goto was a real slog to get through. Which is really pretty normal for NJPW shows to me, at least. Anything in the first half of any given show is going to be meaningless fluff.

The ROH partnership is brutal.

Two great shows, but I would say the English commentary was a fail.

Someone should make a compilation of every time Striker or Kelly asked Yoshitatsu a question and he struggled to come up with an answer. I felt bad for everyone involved.

This is why I absolutely love the team of the Briscoes and Toru Yano from E. Key Oide twitter (great for New Japan translations) 

YTR "I bet none of you knew what they said, did you? No prob, I didn't either! But we've got a bond, heart to heart. You probably do, too!"

As far as the headbutts go. If you were ever going to do that, the biggest show of the year is the place to do that.

I wouldn't recommend doing that the other 99 shows NJPW run a year, but who the fuck knows what the wrestlers mindset is right now.

Based on that gif, the mindset's probably "...."

• Like 1

Someone wiser to the Japan scene needs to smarten me up on how NJ feels about Naito right now. His new gimmick seems to be getting over, and they've attached a stable to him, but yet he seems to drop just every high profile match he gets. Often badly, such as here where he hit fucking Goto with everything in the book and still lost. It made sense a year ago, but now that he's got some legs, I don't get why he's made to look so weak.

My new Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada rankings. What chemistry they have.

1. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Wrestle Kingdom 10. *****

2. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, King of Pro-Wrestling 2013. *****

3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Invasion Attack 2013. *****

4. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Dominion 2012. *****

5. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 9.

6. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, The New Beginning 2012.

7. Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, G1 Climax 23, Day Eight.

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, Wrestle Kingdom 7. Easily the worst.

I should note I've only watched them the once, I don't have the urge to go back and see the Wrestle Kingdom 7 match. My least favourite Tanahashi vs. Okada match.

When will Dave's star ratings be up?

• Like 1

Striker will talk through a big spot to rectify something he said about 2000s JAPW half an hour ago

also I couldn't watch Styles/Nak, I could not bring myself to watch it - just fucking go

Just watched the english version...my god is Yoshitatsu baaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I think the biggest issue he had was that Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker would go 45 minutes without talking to him and then ask him some long winded, nonsensical question he wasn't ready for.  I forget the exact moment, but there was one question they asked him where he had no idea what Striker was talking about.  He brought up some obscure reference and then asked poor Yoshi about it and he had no idea how to respond.  He didn't have a clearly defined role, and Kelly and Striker made what little role he had worse.