DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT 12/16/15 London Taping (For Air on 12/23)

RIPPA

These are from the WON - I am sure there are others around

Jason Jordan and Chad Gable vs The Hype Bros vs. The Vaudevillians vs Blake and Murphy (w/ Alexa Bliss) 

Jordan and Gable might be more over than anyone in the entire company right now, at least in the UK. They came out to a humongous pop with chants from the crowd the whole way through the match. Typical overbooked opener, everyone got their spots in. Jordan was incredibly pumped up from the crowd reaction and played to the crowd alot. The other teams were booed incessantly. Vaudevillians worked over Gable for most of the match. The hot tag to Jordan got another crazy pop and he hit a number of incredible suplexes, getting a suplex city chant at one point. The finish came after Jordan his an absolutely ridiculous belly to belly over the top rope onto the other teams on the outside, spot of the match, if not the night. Jordan and Gable hit their double finisher for the win. Really really good.

Elias Sampson vs Bull Dempsey

A pretty nothing match. No one really cared about Sampson. Not much happened. This was basically a comedy match. Bull did jumping jacks which Sampson watched from the corner. A fairly botchy match at times. Sampson got "You're just a poo poo Seth Rollins" and "You're a hipster" chants. Sampson wins out of basically nowhere after a few minutes. Basically nothing. 

After the match, "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and now we have for you a special BONUS MATCH!" which led to immediate Ole chants.

Sami Zayn vs. Tye Dillinger

Tye Dillinger comes out first, and was very over with his 10 gimmick (10 signs were probably the most common ones I saw; there weren't that many overall). He would've been a face except out comes his opponent. The crowd goes insane for Sami. He goes up the stairs and does his arm-ruining waves. Sami was incredibly over, but they're going to have to cut this down if they show it because about half the match was them reacting to the chants, all the usual stuff you'd expect, "Welcome Back" and Oles and everything. Tye gets "poo poo Hair, No Fans" and "Topknot Wanker" chants. A good match. Sami teases his arm injury and Tye works that arm a bit, but nothing to make you worried. Great Blue Thunder Bomb out of nowhere gets a 2, and a Helluva Kick for the win.

Sami stays in the ring with a mic. Huge amount of chants; he gives up speaking a couple of times because it's so loud. Basically just imagine every line here interspersed with one chant or another for him. He says it's great to be back, that every time he's on a high, like winning the title or going on Raw to fight John Cena (boos), it seems like things take a nosedive for him, but today, that trend is reversed. He talks about the tour up until this point and is hilariously dumbfounded that we boo the hell out of all the other towns he brings up, "is this some British heat thing?". Big things are coming for NXT in 2016, and for him, he says, and makes to leave - but then comes back into the ring, because ever since Triple H got to say it, he's wanted to. "We are NXT!" Super babyface stuff, basically, but he was beloved for it. 

Seemed like Gable was going to be mega-over no matter what so they let Jordan star a little bit more with his hilarious run of spamming-all-the-strong-grapples-in-your-moveset-on-easy-difficulty suplexes. The opener couldn't really have pumped the crowd up any more but they still basically fell asleep for Samson-Dempsey

Tye Dillinger was getting the ten chants all night then the crowd basically just turned on him because he was working Zayn; Zayn is truly the best pure babyface alive

The ref ordered Zayn back into the ring to add the "we are NXT" bit after his promo and he had to bullshit that it was spontaneous and he'd been desperate to say it for months

Gable/Jordan vs Dash/Dawson is going to be the best match. Legit more excited for that than anything in wrestling right now. It's going to be fun as shit. I imagine it will probably happen at a Takeover in Feb or the WM one. So happy for Sami to be back. Hopefully he immediately replaces Balor as the top guy. Or at least leads to a Balor heel turn to get him closer to Prince Devitt. Anything to make Balor more interesting. 

Between watching the ROH replay with the 10-man and NXT tonight, Wednesday is quickly surpassing Monday as the night to watch wrestling.  What a super-fun past couple of hours.

I'm fully on-board the Gable/Jordan bandwagon. 

And I know nobody gives a shit about Elias Sampson, but I thought he looked so much like late-1970s ICW Randy Savage coming down to the ring that it was kinda creepy.

Is it possibly a Dynamic Dudes type of thing where he can't actually play?

I'd assume that if he's the wrestling "long-haired hipsterish white guy with an acoustic guitar", they want to save Samson actually playing for America when his skill causes one random NXT woman on the verge of breaking out to go starry-eyed for him.

You can't run the risk of the UK fans popping when he starts a bad cover of "Wonderwall", after all.

I dislike Mojo so much. He's just so totally outclassed by Zach in every way. There's no reason why Zach should be in NXT except to not release him and have him make money for another company. He's not the best wrestler, but damn, for the main roster, he's good enough and he does enough little things to make the people in the cheap seats like him. He's good enough on the mic, kids would love him, he's catchy and smart enough to get adults to like him, and yet he's stuck with Mojo trying to get Mojo over.

Mojo. Who loves LMFAO in a not ironic way. Mojo is hopeless unless he can find a way to get Gronk to be a wrestler.

• Like 1

The opening tag match was really hot and all the teams actually looked pretty good.  Is the next Takeover the one in Dallas or are they having another before then?  If it's the next one, they've got plenty of time to build Gable/Jordan vs Dawson/Wilder up for being the main event and it will probably end up blowing away anything the main roster does that weekend.

It's like they can't figure out of they want Samson to be some sort of hipster or outlaw country/edgy Honky Tonk man character.

They only way Jordan and Gable don't win the belts is if they need them in singles. I could see Chad Gable NXT champion before the end of the summer. I need to see more than a hot tag from Jordan, but he looks great right now. Buddy Murphy might be the best bumper in NXT. Sami is such a great worker he never stopped selling the shoulder the whole time he was out there.

It's in the best interest of Gable/Jordan to stay together as long as possible. Gable is super tiny (smaller than Bryan in height and mass) and Jordan will be neo-Shelton on Raw. Together, they both shine and look like stars. I don't see NXT breaking them up anytime soon as they're trying to do for tag team wrestling what they did with women's wrestling.

It's in the best interest of Gable/Jordan to stay together as long as possible. Gable is super tiny (smaller than Bryan in height and mass) and Jordan will be neo-Shelton on Raw. Together, they both shine and look like stars. I don't see NXT breaking them up anytime soon as they're trying to do for tag team wrestling what they did with women's wrestling.

Folks like Gable who can carry storylines, but won't ever get the main event run due to size, is why I support a Cruiserweight belt- as long as they get a 10-15 min opening or midcard match on PPV's and good amount of time on weekly TV that's good enough for me.

That's where folks like Neville, Gable, Balor , Ziggler belong.

There's no reason (other than Vince's inherent prejudices) that a cruiserweight division can't be treated like a major deal in the WWE. The biggest stars in MMA typically aren't the literal biggest fighters, so it's not like the fans won't buy into a guy Gable's size being a top star. Just keep him the fuck away from guys the size of Big Show and Kane.

Folks like Gable who can carry storylines, but won't ever get the main event run due to size, is why I support a Cruiserweight belt- as long as they get a 10-15 min opening or midcard match on PPV's and good amount of time on weekly TV that's good enough for me.

That's where folks like Neville, Gable, Balor , Ziggler belong.

I don't think cruiser division makes any sense in WWE today. Going by billed weights, over half the roster would be cruiserweights now. Seth Rollins, as WWE WHC, is a cruiserweight under WWE and WCW standards. It's kind of pointless at this point except to segregate and say HEY THESE GUYS ARE SMALL.

If guys are too small- they either won't get a main event run, or will break down quickly getting beat up by hosses.

I often wonder if Bryan had been ace of the cruisers in a modern WWE if he would still be around today.

If you need to promote a guy, you can just have him challenge someone to get respect or "bulk up" to heavy if they're close like Rollins.

BTW Rollins would be a cruiser under WCW standards, but he's billed at 217 in WWE (think WWE limit was 215, I'd put it at 200 now like boxing)

The big thing is you'd have to do it like Japan and keep the cruisers away from the heavies.   At worst it can fill up one of the three hours of RAW with more meaningful and faster-paced filler.