DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reactions - SPOILERS HERE ONLY

goodhelmet

Okay, worst scene in the movie?

I'm going with the action on Han's freighter.

1. The Rathtars look like something out of the prequels.

2. They brought in the guys from THE RAID and then didn't let them actually do any fighting! WTF????

3. Rey using SECURITY CAMERAS to resolve the situation kinda hangs a lampshade on the fact that Han's junky freighter has them but the damn Starkiller Base apparently doesn't.

• Like 2

Also, my favorite current rumor: Smoke is Darth Plagieus or however it's spelled.

Sure, it would lean way more on the prequels than they did in this film (only obvious prequel reference I caught was Ren's throwaway line about using cloned Stormtroopers) but it would be an interesting move.

I'm pretty sure that rumor is effectively debunked at this point.  They already said Snoke is a new character.

So just like Cumberbatch in Into Darkness. 

Okay, worst scene in the movie?

I'm going with the action on Han's freighter.

1. The Rathtars look like something out of the prequels.

2. They brought in the guys from THE RAID and then didn't let them actually do any fighting! WTF????

3. Rey using SECURITY CAMERAS to resolve the situation kinda hangs a lampshade on the fact that Han's junky freighter has them but the damn Starkiller Base apparently doesn't.

I was just about to mention this.

I loved the movie. I'm ignoring some things I would normally nitpick because of nostalgia and excitement, but overall it was awesome. I have to say, though, I was super disappointed when the actors from The Raid showed up, I immediately thought we were about to get one of the coolest fight scenes in a Star Wars movie ever, and then... nothing.

But, yeah, overall it was great. I can't wait to see what Rian Johnson does since I'm a big fan of his movies (especially Brick).

The prequels and not being a big Abrams fan had me really expecting the worst but they really hit this one out of the park for me. 

I'm really hoping Rey isn't a Skywalker, if they want to connect her to someone from the past make her a Kenobi, Antilles or even a Porkins.

I hope she's not a Skywalker, or a member of any other family we've met before, mainly because that would only serve to make the universe feel even smaller and that was one of my biggest pet peeves about the prequels.

That said...She's not an orphan without a last name for no reason. Basically every fucking background character in this universe has a full name, but the main character with the mysterious origin doesn't? Not an accident. We're going to find out it's a name we know.

Finn doesn't have a last name yet either. Or even a real first name. There are still people holding out hope that he is FS but I don't see it.  Like I said before I think he's the new Han with the personality similarities but it is interesting that he's a man who was kidnapped and no name.

Also, my favorite current rumor: Smoke is Darth Plagieus or however it's spelled.

Sure, it would lean way more on the prequels than they did in this film (only obvious prequel reference I caught was Ren's throwaway line about using cloned Stormtroopers) but it would be an interesting move.

I'm pretty sure that rumor is effectively debunked at this point.  They already said Snoke is a new character.

How about the fact that Snoke looks nothing like Plagueis and the fact that Plagueis is dead?  Plagueis was a Muun.  Why would he disguise himself to look like Snoke for Kylo Ren and the First Order?  

Actually, Plagueis is whatever the new Powers that Be say he is. Everything done before that's not Movies, Clone Wars, Rebels, or Aftermath is Fan Fiction.

But, JJ recently said he regrets using that trick in Into Darkness and wouldn't use it again.

Didn't Harrison Ford want Han Solo to die in every Star Was film he ever made? It does explain why they sent grumpy Harrison to do the Euro press junkets for this movie though. He won't be promoting the next one at all.

Don't know why they had Mark Hammill lose a bunch of weight for the movie though. I can get that with Carrie Fisher, they wanted her to look like an old soldier, not a comfortably retired person who never did anything athletic in their life. But Luke in that costume and with that beard didn't really need to be skinny at all, did he?

Why was it, whenever I was reading Adam Driver interviews a few months ago, the journo would always comment on how he seemed like a real tough, macho guy? Because he doesn't project that on screen at all (nb: I've only ever seen him in this movie. I don't watch any shows about aimless upper middle class twentysomethings). He just looks like a tall-ish lanky guy. I knew he's ex-military and so on, but if we're supposed to see him with the mask off and find him unthreatening, it's good casting on that front. Is it just a case of journalist takes a fancy to interviewee and writes unwarranted gushing praise in feature?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that rumor is effectively debunked at this point. They already said Snoke is a new character.

How about the fact that Snoke looks nothing like Plagueis and the fact that Plagueis is dead? Plagueis was a Muun. Why would he disguise himself to look like Snoke for Kylo Ren and the First Order?
I have no idea who Plagueis is. So you guys will need to answer those questions me.

Darth Plagueis was the Sith Lord who trained Darth Sidious (aka Emperor Palpatine). He was the master of life and death, could prevent people from dying somehow and may well have caused the immaculate conception of Anakin Skywalker. He was killed by his apprentice because Sith happens.

Another theory: Rey's going to go to the dark side, while Ren moves to the light. I base this entirely on how much rage Rey showed and...

Her accent. British folks are almost always the bad guys.

Yeah, I know that's silly.

Another theory: Rey's going to go to the dark side, while Ren moves to the light. I base this entirely on how much rage Rey showed and...

Her accent. British folks are almost always the bad guys.

Yeah, I know that's silly.

Well, Guiness aside, the originals did that thing of using autocratic British actors as Nazi substitues.