DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 17: Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone II (12/19/2015) - Orlando, FL (Amway Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Ngannou just absolutely murdered Luiz Henrique with an uppercut.

MMA journalists seem really high on Ngannou. Just watched the fight and I can see why. Long arms, big power, and surprisingly great cardio. Cruz called both Ngannou having a good gas tank and then Henrique tiring just before the KO. Henrique basically gave in on his feet, stood just in front of the cage with no movement and his hands up.

Ngannou is really raw but looks to have a high ceiling in a pretty shitty heavyweight division. Improving his wrestling defense should be a priority because the ref bailed him out three times.

Edit: lawl, that post-fight interview was hella awkward.

Edited by Oyaji

Really impressed with the cardio of Usman. Took him some time to adjust to Leon Edwards' rhythm, but he found a way to use his wrestling and incrementally turn up the pressure on Edwards. Usually when wrestlers get to the end of the 2nd or the beginning of the 3rd round, they slow down and depend on getting the takedown so much. Usman basically cut the cage off and basically confined Edwards in a small space inside the octagon. He controlled the striking tempo and the position control. Then, he just was all over him. He didn't get the finish, but he also didn't stop being relentless going for it. Good win over a solid step up.

Ngannou just absolutely murdered Luiz Henrique with an uppercut.

MMA journalists seem really high on Ngannou. Just watched the fight and I can see why. Long arms, big power, and surprisingly great cardio. Cruz called both Ngannou having a good gas tank and then Henrique tiring just before the KO. Henrique basically gave in on his feet, stood just in front of the cage with no movement and his hands up.

Ngannou really needs to be at somewhere like AKA where he will see wrestlers day in and day out. Plus, he can work with someone like Rockhold who isn't thought of as a wrestler, but knows how integrate wrestling into obtaining submissions and amazing top control. He will also get a chance to work on punishing guys who constantly try to go for doubles against the fence.

Kaufman basically had nothing for Shevchenko. Outclassed in the striking, the clinchwork, and takedowns for a vast majority of the fight.

It's going to be interesting to see what Valentina can do with a full camp.

• Like 1

So yeah, you can look forward to the possibility Henderson vs. Marquardt for the senior division middleweight title.

I dunno why Dollaway chose to run headlong into that punch. That was very dumb especially considering he fought very disciplined before that. 

• Like 1

Dollaway is decent, but I'd never really consider him an intelligent or elite competitor.  He's made a lot of stupid mistakes and walked into bad positions before.

It seemed like under Jose Benavidez Sr., he was refining his boxing a bit. I was actually impressed how he fought Bisping. Now that Benavidez Sr. left Power MMA in order to help his son out more in boxing, it seem like he was looking to pick and choose when to attack Marquardt at random. He started out well and then the quality dipped tremendously. He hurt Marquardt in round 1, could have easily finished, and then just start throwing wild hooks. He ended up paying for that the very next round.

• Like 1

Fuck, I love watching Do Bronx fight. Just sort out the weight issues and he's elite.

Pressure is always going to be Do Bronx's weakness. Holloway was starting to turn it up before that weird finish. I think Max would have clearly won at least 49-46 on the scorecards if it went the distance. Max's activity would have worn on him.

I think at lightweight, there are just too many good fighters to really break into the top ten. He might scratch top 15, but you got some really tough matchups above that.

He's older and more experienced now, and well, he just submitted a guy who was previously in the top 10 of lightweight while he was weighing at lightweight himself.  He's got some of the best BJJ and grappling in the Octagon.  I think he could hang at lightweight again.

There's no fucking catchweight division and he's missed weight four times now.

Kowalkiewicz looked good once she settled in. She'll probably lose the decision due to Randa's takedowns earlier but you can see she's got the striking technique that will make a lot of strawweight fighters look silly. She needs to work on her grappling and head movement though. Her head is way too centered with little movement.

edit: fuck yeah!

Fuck, I love watching Do Bronx fight. Just sort out the weight issues and he's elite.

Pressure is always going to be Do Bronx's weakness. Holloway was starting to turn it up before that weird finish. I think Max would have clearly won at least 49-46 on the scorecards if it went the distance. Max's activity would have worn on him.

I think at lightweight, there are just too many good fighters to really break into the top ten. He might scratch top 15, but you got some really tough matchups above that.

You're right in that he struggles when faced with pressure, though I think he's better than quite a few of the top 15 lightweights. I'd have him just below Dariush but above Jury (#9). Both he and my other fave, Barboza, really do struggle when guys close distance consistently and apply pressure in close. 

If he stays at 145, he needs to make some changes to his weight cut because he can't afford another missed cut.