DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sisters does basically exactly what you expect it to on every plot point and is fucking hilarious doing it. Significantly better than I expected.

Better than Trainwreck? Which I feel like went downhill atleast halfway through the movie after the first half was full of laughs. 

We should debate which is the best Pyun film. The Sword and the Sorcerer, Nemesis, or Cyborg? Or, I dunno... Dollman?

Dollman or Cyborg. Im actually not ashamed to admit owning Dollman on Bluray.

Didn't he do one or both of the Breakin' movies as well?

I have watched a lot of movies over the last week, as I try to play catch up on not watching much this year.I offer at least some small quips about everything I have watched on my Letterboxd profile.

I can offer some more detailed thoughts on this at a later period, but I highly recommend everyone see Clouds of Sils Maria prior to voting in Caley's best of 2015 poll. I still have a good bit to watch, but I have a strong feeling this will end up somewhere in my top 5-10 if not higher. Assayas is proving to be one of the more interesting directors we have from overseas between Summer Hours and this film. I still also need to see Carlos.

Dear nerds,

I have already seen The Hateful Eight. Tarantino almost ruins it with his damn voice over, but it was better than I was expecting.

Love,

Mike

I hate that my nearest 70mm screening is a 3-4 hour drive away, and that I am driving 6 hours to Nashville for NYE, which happens to be the last day it's screening on film there.

Watched Force Awakens for the 2nd time this morning, just finished The Martian and rounding it out with Creed right now.

I feel like I'm going to be halfway between weeping mess and ready to conquer the fucking world by the end of the day.

• Like 3

We should debate which is the best Pyun film. The Sword and the Sorcerer, Nemesis, or Cyborg? Or, I dunno... Dollman?

Dollman or Cyborg. Im actually not ashamed to admit owning Dollman on Bluray.

Didn't he do one or both of the Breakin' movies as well?

Nope, Breakin' was directed by Joel Silberg and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo was directed by Sam Firstenberg. But I found out he directed that sci-fi movie Knights with Kris Kristofferson and Lance Henrikson that I saw as a kid, the first Captain America, and Arcade, the Full Moon feature that had some of the worst CGI ever. 

I went to a screening of Captain America 90 a few years ago and Pyun was there to do a Q&A. The people there knew what they were in for, so the questions were generally respectful. And Pyun is just this nerdy guy with a backpack eager to talk about his film and what he was working on trying to finance next. Say what you want about his work, but he ain't going to be on his deathbed brooding about acceptance or not getting the Big Epic that would cement his legacy. Dude has a helluva legacy.

that is all

Despite the fact that his entire career has specialized in Teutonic wallowing in bewilderment and despair at the inexplicable cruelty found in all aspects of our reality, the single most depressing thing Werner Herzog has ever done is his continual support of Harmony Korine.

I really wish The Martian was out on (home viewing purchase option of your choice) in time for Christmas. Ah well.

You can buy it for $14.99 in full HD through Amazon Instant, Vudu, Google Play, iTunes etc. right now.

Apparently, Hateful 8 and Revenant screeners have leaked.  I post this for informational and entertainment purposes only and do not in any way condone seeking these out. 

Neither one of those are films that you would want to experience in a compressed video format anyways. Those are both meant to be seen on the biggest screen available to you.

I'm reading The Greatest Sci-Fi Films Never Made by David Hughes. Amusingly, it was written in 2001, so many of the films he talks about (Avatar, Watchman, Fantastic Four) did get made eventually. 

He also mentions 1996's The Island of Dr. Moreau and how badly it differed from the original director's vision. Man, it's mental. You know things are bad when even Marlon Brando is lecturing other actors on professionalism. It's kind of weird how the studio fell over themselves to placate Val Kilmer and his outrageous demands, like he was a star on the level of Tom Cruise and/or Will Smith. Was he ever that big a box office attraction, even at his peak? Really?

Oh, and David Lynch's batshit mental Ronnie Rocket sounds like something that was better off not coming to fruition, quite frankly. Even though Lynch and the author seem to think it could have been a cinematic masterpiece. 

It seems like Hollywood goes through times when it tries to make the next big thing, and that period was Kilmer's. Between the Saint, Batman Forever, Ghost and the Darkness and the Dr Moreau, and his role in Heat. I don't think any of them were great hits, and his behavior likely has kept him out of the supporting roles that probably should have been his. . . .