DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What would be the point of Sting vs Taker, though? The icons of WWE vs WCW was the only compelling hook there, and they shot their wad with that on HHH, even when they had a ready-made Vigilante vs Authority storyline that they just decided to drop for some stupid reason.

Flipping through Foley's biography again and got to the part where he says that Vince met with the roster and conceded that maybe the business had passed him by and he needed to rethink things and how they immediately started dropping gimmicks like Rockabilly and The Real Double J and snooty snob Hunter Hearst Helmsley and let guys be themselves.  You wonder with the ratings plummeting and the relative success of guys like New Day who are basically being themselves, how long before they have a similar change or if one comes at all?

Well that was Vince 20 years ago, before he "defeated Ted Turner" and became a billionaire.  Vince in the mid/late 90s achieved huge success once in his life and saw it disappear for the first time ever, so you can see how he could be unsure of himself back then.  Vince in 2015 came back to be bigger than ever and I think any humility he had is long gone.

That's the problem.  They don't want anyone to be bigger than the company itself, so nobody can get over as a megastar and you're left relying on guys that got over before that unofficial mandate was put in place because they're the only ones that can draw.

I mentioned that in the Raw thread, but it fell on deaf ears.  It's about The Brand and having a megastar would mean having to accommodate him/her in their minds.  This seems pretty obvious.

That's exactly it.  He's following the NFL model where the goal is to make nobody bigger than the league itself.  Every boom period featured big names who had Vince over a barrel and he doesn't want to get in that position again, even if avoiding that means smaller stars and less success. 

We've seen every entertainment medium become safe and risk-averse.  It was only a matter of time before wrestling followed suit.

So I just saw Joey Ryan won a test of strength with his dick. Random wrestler grabs Joey by his package and Joey's package is so strong it brings his opponent to his knees and has the power to hip toss him. This falls under Only in Japan right? At what point do we say a spot is too ridiculous and everyone involved should be shunned to TNA

So I just saw Joey Ryan won a test of strength with his dick. Random wrestler grabs Joey by his package and Joey's package is so strong it brings his opponent to his knees and has the power to hip toss him. This falls under Only in Japan right? At what point do we say a spot is too ridiculous and everyone involved should be shunned to TNA

Just saw as in the animated gif thread?

• Like 1

Is there any reliable word on just how much Vince has his hand in creatively?  Is he actively coming up with most of the main roster storylines, or do the writers just churn them out and have to meet with his final approval?

The issue with Reigns not winning over a majority of the audience is largely due to him being pushed too fast too soon.  That makes me wonder, even if he gets drastically better (ever since the Mania match with Lesnar I contend that he's more than capable of putting on a good match if he gets the chance) has the damage already been done?  Is there a chance of the audience ever accepting him as a top level guy, or will he just always be the guy that got overpushed because the powers that be wanted him at the top? 

It also makes me wonder - have there been other wrestlers who were pushed too fast too soon and got shit on, only to eventually win the audience over?

To be fair, it was against Danshoku Dino, wasn't it?

Is there any reliable word on just how much Vince has his hand in creatively?  Is he actively coming up with most of the main roster storylines, or do the writers just churn them out and have to meet with his final approval?

-------

It also makes me wonder - have there been other wrestlers who were pushed too fast too soon and got shit on, only to eventually win the audience over?

I'm not sure how much scripting he does but it's been reported that he is the final word and will rip up a Raw script and have it rewritten last minute if he wants.  Also, you have to remember his influence in the writers.  They want to please him and keep their jobs so they'll write to his tastes.  So the shit that pleases Vince is what drives creative as a whole. 

Answer to question 2: The Rock

• Like 1

I'm shaking my head at myself for fantasy booking, but a good skeleton for the card may be:

- Brock vs Reigns for the title

- Cena vs Undertaker

- Owens vs Zayn

- Sasha Banks vs Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Bayley for the Divas title

- New Day vs the Wyatts

Obviously, YMMV. Someone could call that a piece of shit and I wouldn't be slightly offended. I'm honestly not sure what they can do at this point. It feels like they're really backed into a corner and where as that type of situation would bring out the best in creative in the past, they're just phoning it in this time around.

That's an incredibly weak Mania card especially for a 100,000 seat arena.  I think it's a safe bet to put HHH in one of the top 3 matches on the card. I could see him facing Reigns, and of course enjoying getting a baby face reaction. Taker/Cena should be a lock, and I think that's the biggest match they can do without Austin or Rock. Ending the streak was a horrible mistake given the lack of drawing power on the current roster. Cena trying to end the streak would have the smarks in a frenzy.

Honestly I think they're screwed. If I was Vince I'd throw a ridiculous amount of money at Austin to wrestle Cena as I think that's their only chance at getting close to a sell out. I think NXT could possibly draw 20,000 people to an event Mania weekend, but those fans are going to be at Mania anyway. They've got to pull in about 30,000 casuals/fans on the fence to not be playing to a bunch of empty seats.

Are you new to comedy spots? Google "Osirian Portal dance off", "Chuck Taylor's Invisible Grenade", and "Yoshihiko"

• Like 1

Just saw as in the animated gif thread?

We have an animated gif thread?

Kidding

But no one of my friends shared it on Facebook

Are you new to comedy spots? Google "Osirian Portal dance off", "Chuck Taylor's Invisible Grenade", and "Yoshihiko"

I think I stay in my WWE bubble too much since there's no local indy where I live

What would be the point of Sting vs Taker, though? The icons of WWE vs WCW was the only compelling hook there, and they shot their wad with that on HHH, even when they had a ready-made Vigilante vs Authority storyline that they just decided to drop for some stupid reason.

It only works for me if it's a retirement match and I think they should consider an Undertaker retirement match anyway. It's time.