DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Its always been an awkward point that Vince has never had a black WWE Champion.

The Rock is more Samoan than black and the World title runs given to Mark Henry and Booker T came in the "Double Title" era when the World Title was basically the IC title.

They could still salvage Big E, Jason Jordan has potential and Apollo Crews should get there one day. Maybe...

Oh, give me a fucking break. Literally 12 people probably pull that "Rock isn't black on a technicality" bullshit and actually believe it. And Mark Henry and Booker T's title reigns were so awesome, I literally couldn't tell you who had the other belt when they were champs (Cena? Orton?.) Both of them took what they had and not only did they fucking run with it, the bookers ran with it too. You act like when they were "given" it (which, wait, what?), that they were then treated like they were Rey Mysterio. Mark Henry murdered everybody and King Booker was far and away the champion I actually remember.

Sorry. Done.

I dont believe Vince is walking around backstage ranting like Hulk Hogan or Donald Trump. Im just saying that there has never been a black WWE champion and, given the demographics of the US, that feels like an odd thing to have never had.

Is it though? African-Americans make up roughly 12% of the U.S. Population.

Demographic-wise there's a disproportionate number of African-Americans on the roster.

I personally don't understand why this talking point seems to constantly pop up.

Why aren't we having conversations instead about the lack of Asian WWE champs? They make up 5% of the U.S. Population and are comically underrepresented on the roster. The only "Asian" champ WWE champ ever had was Polynesian. To make this statistic more embarrassing is there is an entire Japanese wrestling scene with hundreds of trained wrestlers and yet they can't even get on the WWE roster let alone dream of a championship.

Obviously the signing of Itami and Asuka may be the sign of a sea change but it's still a joke.

Its always been an awkward point that Vince has never had a black WWE Champion.

The Rock is more Samoan than black and the World title runs given to Mark Henry and Booker T came in the "Double Title" era when the World Title was basically the IC title.

They could still salvage Big E, Jason Jordan has potential and Apollo Crews should get there one day. Maybe...

Oh, give me a fucking break. Literally 12 people probably pull that "Rock isn't black on a technicality" bullshit and actually believe it. And Mark Henry and Booker T's title reigns were so awesome, I literally couldn't tell you who had the other belt when they were champs (Cena? Orton?.) Both of them took what they had and not only did they fucking run with it, the bookers ran with it too. You act like when they were "given" it (which, wait, what?), that they were then treated like they were Rey Mysterio. Mark Henry murdered everybody and King Booker was far and away the champion I actually remember.

Sorry. Done.

I dont believe Vince is walking around backstage ranting like Hulk Hogan or Donald Trump. Im just saying that there has never been a black WWE champion and, given the demographics of the US, that feels like an odd thing to have never had.

Is it though? African-Americans make up roughly 12% of the U.S. Population.

Demographic-wise there's a disproportionate number of African-Americans on the roster.

I personally don't understand why this talking point seems to constantly pop up.

Why aren't we having conversations instead about the lack of Asian WWE champs? They make up 5% of the U.S. Population and are comically underrepresented on the roster. The only "Asian" champ WWE champ ever had was Polynesian. To make this statistic more embarrassing is there is an entire Japanese wrestling scene with hundreds of trained wrestlers and yet they can't even get on the WWE roster let alone dream of a championship.

Obviously the signing of Itami and Asuka may be the sign of a sea change but it's still a joke.

yoshi tatsu kung fu naki indeed ching chong potato

that's why

For someone to make the argument that there definitely should have been a black WWE champion they need to actually cite examples of wrestlers and not just demographics. And they also have to ignore that Booker T and Mark Henry both got the World Title and headlined Smackdown PPVs and house shows but apparently that's not supposed to count.

Who are the black wrestlers that were clearly held down and kept from winning the WWE Title when they should have? We can cite Booker T at WrestleMania 19 but oh wait sorry that wouldn't count anyway because that's just that sorry ass World Title which doesn't mean anything. There were other guys who they were clearly grooming to be future top stars like Ahmed Johnson and Bobby Lashley who didn't work out. But in an alternate universe where Ahmed isn't injury phone, the guy would have been easily been a WWF Champion and probably would have fucked up the rise of Austin because of how much Vince was in love with him (and how over he was)

Can we also not ignore that Samoans are non-white and that Vince is trying to push one down our throat? A truly dedicated racist would not be feeding us Roman Reigns.

Reigns is also part Italian-American and his in-ring name clearly indicates that.

If anything, Reigns supports the racist theory.  He's an 'acceptable' person of color who can be presented as a commercially 'safe' entity.  But his Samoan heritage, which Reigns identifies with, allows Vince to say he's culturally aware.

Obviously, the topic is complicated and we all know wrestling has done itself no favors in the race department.  That's why the topic keeps coming up. Sort of like real life, you know? But the idea of Vince being all kumbaya about it is amusing.