DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I really hate like 97% of all finishers in WWE. Like, I think most would benefit from using a different finish.

There isn't a single finisher in the entire promotion that makes me feel like it matters(OK, maybe the Pop-Up Powerbomb).  I never need to see another spear, downward spiral variation, or a DDT that looks less painful than a regular old DDT.  Is there a reason Ryback's Samoan drop is more devastating than all of the other Samoan drops we see all over Raw?  Seriously, why is his Samoan drop better than the ones used by the Usos', Rusev's, or Roman Reign's Samoan Drops?  Everything about their product is stale as three day old shit, I'm actually afraid to go into the "How Happy are You with the WWE Product," thread.  I feel like I'd start typing and never stop.

This argument begins and ends with John Cena and the AA which is literally a fireman's carry albeit from a standing position.

I honestly don't know what they could put on the Mania card that would really pique my interest.  Call it a product of the crash-TV era and all of the big name matches having been done, but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that they need to bring in the part-timers to make Mania "special" nowadays.

They dug themselves into a deeper hole this year with AT&T Stadium. My guess is that they were really banking on:

- HHH/Steph vs Rock/Rousey; OR

- HHH vs Rock;

- Brock vs Austin;

- Brock vs Rock when it was clear Austin wasn't going to wrestle;

- Rollins vs Reigns for the title; and

- Cena vs Undertaker

I was thinking for a bit that maybe they could also do Reigns vs Cena and Rollins vs Undertaker. I'm sure Sting vs Undertaker was in the planning at some point too.

So they've lost Rousey (they never really had her most likely), Rock is probably out too, Rollins is injured and Sting is injured.

WWE may want to stop dicking around and start making the guys on the current roster look like something other than useless assholes. At this point, I think the best thing that could happen to them is Rock saying he would work Wrestlemania. Then you at least have the possibility of Rock vs Brock or Rock vs HHH. I would prefer the latter. If that doesn't happen though, you're left with:

- Brock vs Reigns part 2, which may not be so bad because their first match was pretty great

- Cena vs Undertaker

I'm shaking my head at myself for fantasy booking, but a good skeleton for the card may be:

- Brock vs Reigns for the title

- Cena vs Undertaker

- Owens vs Zayn

- Sasha Banks vs Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Bayley for the Divas title

- New Day vs the Wyatts

Obviously, YMMV. Someone could call that a piece of shit and I wouldn't be slightly offended. I'm honestly not sure what they can do at this point. It feels like they're really backed into a corner and where as that type of situation would bring out the best in creative in the past, they're just phoning it in this time around.

• Like 1

I think people might be overestimating the impact individual matches have on Wrestlemania ticket sales. Look at last year's card. Brock/Roman wasn't generating that much interest, Sting/HHH wasn't any better, Rock and Rousey weren't advertised, and I doubt Bray/Taker sold a single ticket.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the big draw for Mania is Mania.

What might be a problem is if the product we get stays so shitty that people just start tuning out completely.

WWE may want to stop dicking around and start making the guys on the current roster look like something other than useless assholes.

That's the problem.  They don't want anyone to be bigger than the company itself, so nobody can get over as a megastar and you're left relying on guys that got over before that unofficial mandate was put in place because they're the only ones that can draw.

• Like 1

Except they want to break the 93,000 number everyone had been led to believe.

I presume they will sell most tickets even more a lineup is known, since its a destination event for mainstream wrestling fans. And they will prob just paper the rest to get "full" and announced a worked attendance anyway.

Except they want to break the 93,000 number everyone had been led to believe.

I presume they will sell most tickets even more a lineup is known, since its a destination event for mainstream wrestling fans. And they will prob just paper the rest to get "full" and announced a worked attendance anyway.

The WWE? Fudge a gigantic attendance figure? NO WAY!

Flipping through Foley's biography again and got to the part where he says that Vince met with the roster and conceded that maybe the business had passed him by and he needed to rethink things and how they immediately started dropping gimmicks like Rockabilly and The Real Double J and snooty snob Hunter Hearst Helmsley and let guys be themselves.  You wonder with the ratings plummeting and the relative success of guys like New Day who are basically being themselves, how long before they have a similar change or if one comes at all?

That's the problem.  They don't want anyone to be bigger than the company itself, so nobody can get over as a megastar and you're left relying on guys that got over before that unofficial mandate was put in place because they're the only ones that can draw.

I mentioned that in the Raw thread, but it fell on deaf ears.  It's about The Brand and having a megastar would mean having to accommodate him/her in their minds.  This seems pretty obvious.