DVDVR Message Board

2015-2016 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Well, top fifteen class isn't bad by any measure.

They've done an admirable job getting the state back competitive in recruiting (it was widely believed a big party of the reason Saban left for LSU was because he could never win against Michigan recruiting the best players in state) but nationally they remain pretty much a non-factor.

Dantonio coaches guys up as well as anyone in the nation, but it's almost always pretty much only in state guys for 80%+ of the roster.

Ohio State and Michigan (especially with Urb and Harbaugh) can pull talent from everywhere.

That's my question though

Why can't Sparty do the same? 

Lack of nation wide press for the past couple decades probably has something to do with it. If they can continue their recent success (and I hope they do) for a while longer they will get better at pulling national talent as long as they don't keep shitting the bed like they did against Bama, that was such a sad game to watch, Michigan and Ohio State are known nationally as powerhouse schools in football, MSU is known as a basketball school and rightly so given the recent past they need to put together more years of solid success.

East Lansing is a nice little area, I don;t know if it has the same charm as Ann Arbor, I can't say for sure because I've only visited East Lansing a couple times while I lived in Ann Arbor (or very near) for two years (even though I was getting my Masters from MSU at the time, online classes for the sorta win), Ann Arbor also has the closer proximity to Detroit factor for it, and I did hate the drive to and from southeast Michigan to Lansing, so that probably helps with recruiting a little bit also, just more options for things to do in the area than around East Lansing.

Well, top fifteen class isn't bad by any measure.

They've done an admirable job getting the state back competitive in recruiting (it was widely believed a big party of the reason Saban left for LSU was because he could never win against Michigan recruiting the best players in state) but nationally they remain pretty much a non-factor.

Dantonio coaches guys up as well as anyone in the nation, but it's almost always pretty much only in state guys for 80%+ of the roster.

Ohio State and Michigan (especially with Urb and Harbaugh) can pull talent from everywhere.

Among many things, $$$.

To get players from down South or out West, you have to spend a not-insignificant amount of money flying your coaches out there over the course of years to build relationships with high schools and players and their families. Most schools either don't have the resources to do that or have an administration that doesn't want to spend that kind of money on football recruiting (or just have lazy coaches). And historically, Michigan State's budget does not compare to Michigan's or Ohio State's.

I mean, Michigan is currently in talks to hold part of their spring practice at IMG Academy in Florida. That is insane and would eat up, like, half of a lot of school's recruiting budget for the year. But it's Michigan, so they can be like, "Fuck it."

Because MSU simply isn't as glamorous a school. Michigan's the one with the world class business school, the amazing medical school and hospital, and the gazillion high roller alumni (like Steven Ross, the Dolphins owner who helped bring Harbaugh back into the fold). Michigan State is the agricultural school with the awesome basketball program.
  • Like 1

And it's worth noting that, based on Nate Silver's rough math, Ohio State and Michigan have the two largest fanbases in the country. Kids grow up fans of Michigan and Ohio State in places you wouldn't expect. Not so much Michigan State.

I've honestly don't understand Ohio State's appeal around the country. Michigan, I can at least understand since Michigan historically sends alumni all over the country and seems to draw heavily from the east coast. I have a couple of friends who grew up on the east coast and went to Michigan despite having no other connection to the state.

I've honestly don't understand Ohio State's appeal around the country. Michigan, I can at least understand since Michigan historically sends alumni all over the country and seems to draw heavily from the east coast. I have a couple of friends who grew up on the east coast and went to Michigan despite having no other connection to the state.

Ohio State sends alumni all over the country too, it's one of the biggest school enrollment wise in the country and most of them want to get the hell out of the state of Ohio once they graduate.

Michigan is a safety school for northeast kids who can't get into one of the lower end Ivies or places like Cal-Berkley, rich kids from the state who get in because of linage and the smart kids from the state who can't get into one of the better Ivies or Cal-Berkley. 75% of their in state fans never went to the school they're either Walmart Wolverines or went to a directional Michigan school, nationally they have fans because they've had great teams going back to the 1900's and have cool helmets.

It's funny because it's true.

In fact, most of that guy's parody videos ring true and that comes from the experience of having a ex-wife who has family in many of those particular areas. Sawgatuck in particular.

NCAA has voted to remove the 12 team runs and let the Big XII hold a conference title game.

thank goodness, otherwise someone might try and add 2 more teams to this dead end to try and keep it going instead of just letting it run its course through the end of the current TV contracts and then blow up.

It was the PAC-10/12 that almost nabbed them last time, and Texas lawmakers were basically scrambling to legally force Texas to bring Baylor/Tech/TAMU with them (before one of them left anyway) which is a big part of what held the Big XII together.

• Like 1

I think Texas would prefer the B1G if they'd give them the same deal the Big XII does with the network.

But they probably wouldn't, and Texas is probably more than content staying put with the biggest and highest grossing athletic department in the nation and a conference begging them to stay at all costs. They'd like to play better, obviously (seriously, there is no reason the richest football team playing in the most talent laden state isn't contending every single year) but going elsewhere won't help much with that. They don't rang to deal with Bama and LSU, or even the Michigan State/Michigan/Ohio State trio.

If the conference did dissolve, going west would be their first choice, I think.

I think Texas would prefer the B1G if they'd give them the same deal the Big XII does with the network.

But they probably wouldn't, and Texas is probably more than content staying put with the biggest and highest grossing athletic department in the nation and a conference begging them to stay at all costs. They'd like to play better, obviously (seriously, there is no reason the richest football team playing in the most talent laden state isn't contending every single year) but going elsewhere won't help much with that. They don't rang to deal with Bama and LSU, or even the Michigan State/Michigan/Ohio State trio.

If the conference did dissolve, going west would be their first choice, I think.

I prefer the Pac 12 for UT for a variety of reasons (culture, climate, academics being the main 3), but fear of the competition isn't one of them. SEC is not a fit culturally in ever so many ways, and the B1G would be a huge problem for non-revenue sports (as well as baseball).

And once Colt McCoy was knocked out of the 2009 NCG game, Mack Brown checked out, and the rot just festered and festered. We'll be back soon.

The lawmakers in Texas and Oklahoma fucked up the Longhorns and Sooners moving last time. There was enough pressure to take along the weak sisters (Baylor, Texas Tech, Okie State) with them to the Pac 12 that it crumbled.

For Texas, the best spot (other than running the Big 12, like they do now) would be the Big Ten. Adding them to the conference would definitely make a ton of money for everyone involved.