DVDVR Message Board

[POLL] 2016 DVDVR MLB HALL OF FAME BALLOT

RIPPA

2016 DVDVR MLB HALL OF FAME VOTE  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Vote For? (Up to 10 Choices)

• Garret Anderson
    • Brad Ausmus
    • Jeff Bagwell
    • Barry Bonds
    • Luis Castillo
    • Roger Clemens
    • David Eckstein
    • Jim Edmonds
    • Nomar Garciaparra
    • Troy Glaus
    • Ken Griffey Jr
    • Mark Grudzielanek
    • Mike Hampton
    • Trevor Hoffman
    • Jason Kendall
    • Jeff Kent
    • Mike Lowell
    • Edgar Martinez
    • Fred McGriff
    • Mark McGwire
    • Mike Mussina
    • Mike Piazza
    • Tim Raines
    • Curt Schilling
    • Gary Sheffield
    • Lee Smith
    • Sammy Sosa
    • Mike Sweeney
    • Alan Trammell
    • Billy Wagner
    • Larry Walker
    • Randy Winn

I don't have a problem with a vote for Jim Edmonds. Absolutely elite defensive CF - one of the best of all-time - who won 8 Gold Gloves. 393 homers, including a pair of 40-homer seasons. Career OPS+ of 132 - higher than Sammy Sosa - and nearly as high as Ken Griffey Jr. He's a helluva lot better candidate than Trevor Hoffman, that's for sure. Probably better than Tim Raines, too.

Tsk, tsk. You of all people should know better than to be dismissive of Tim Raines. The dude was an offensive monster and a damn fine defensive player. The sad thing is that all people look at is his SBs and come up with "Well, he wasn't as good as Rickey!" Which is completely irrelevant, Jimmie Foxx wasn't quite as good as Babe Ruth, does that mean he shouldn't be in the HOF?

I don't have a problem with a vote for Jim Edmonds. Absolutely elite defensive CF - one of the best of all-time - who won 8 Gold Gloves. 393 homers, including a pair of 40-homer seasons. Career OPS+ of 132 - higher than Sammy Sosa - and nearly as high as Ken Griffey Jr. He's a helluva lot better candidate than Trevor Hoffman, that's for sure. Probably better than Tim Raines, too.

Tsk, tsk. You of all people should know better than to be dismissive of Tim Raines. The dude was an offensive monster and a damn fine defensive player. The sad thing is that all people look at is his SBs and come up with "Well, he wasn't as good as Rickey!" Which is completely irrelevant, Jimmie Foxx wasn't quite as good as Babe Ruth, does that mean he shouldn't be in the HOF?

Raines doesn't have the volume of steals that Rickey had, but that 85% success rate smokes Rickey's 80%. Rickey was caught *42* times in 1983! That's ridiculous.

I was with you, up until that last ridiculous line. Tim Raines was the best player in the entire NL during the 80s. Best base stealer ever too (notice I didn't say most steals).

Yeah, it's just crazy talk to say that the guy who was an elite defensive CF with 40-homer power and the same OBP might just be a better player than the not-great defensive LF with a little bit of power. Yes, we're comparing different eras to some degree here but...great defensive CF with lots of power > not-great defensive LF with a .400 SLG.

Tim Raines was a wonderful player. Even a great one for a stretch in the mid-80s. But he's been so underrated for long that people are now overrating him. Best player in the NL for the 1980s? C'mon. I'll take the 8 good years of Mike Schmidt from the 1980s over Raines's decade anytime. Elite defensive 3B who leads the league in OPS+ every year? Yeah, I'll take that guy, thank you very much.

Tsk, tsk. You of all people should know I'm not being "dismissive" of him. Raines was a terrific player, never said he wasn't. I'm just saying maybe, maybe, he doesn't quite measure up like people think.

Raines doesn't have the volume of steals that Rickey had, but that 85% success rate smokes Rickey's 80%. Rickey was caught *42* times in 1983! That's ridiculous.

1982 :)

And he was successful 130 times. Think about that - *172* attempted steals that year. That's almost unfathomable.

There's no way the writers are putting him in. We knew this. He'll go in when some future Veterans Committee says "Jesus fuck are you kidding?" and the bitter shitheads that make up the majority of the BBWAA are fervently hoping he'll be dead by then because they hate the zero fucks Bonds gave about them THAT MUCH.

• Like 1

Tsk, tsk. You of all people should know I'm not being "dismissive" of him. Raines was a terrific player, never said he wasn't. I'm just saying maybe, maybe, he doesn't quite measure up like people think.

Sorry, buddy I was a bit harsh in my comments. Yes, calling Raines the best player in the NL during the 1980s is just plain silly when you look at what Mike Schmidt did. I think we have to go back to my usual stance that people like to have comparisons and put things in boxes that fit neatly. The truly great are often unique and impossible to measure with realistic comparisons. Raines closest comparisons are Brock and Lofton, but was he truly like either player? I would have to say that on the surface the answer is "yes", but when we look closer, these really aren't very comparable players. Again, Raines doesn't comfortably fit into a neat package with Henderson, Lofton, and Brock. 

As much as I love Raines, not only was he not better than Schmidt, I am of the idea that he wasn't better than Dale Murphy in the 80's.

As for a comparison to Brock, he was better than Lou Brock in the following statistical categories:

BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, OPS+, wOBA, TOB, HR, SB%, wRC+ and WAR.

I don't know that there is really much of a comparison there. Granted, I'm not old enough to have seen Brock play, so I can't speak to his impact during games, but just based on numbers, the only reason Brock is in and Raines isn't appears to be the 3000 hit club and 130 SB (Hey, Rickey 1982!)

All credit to @theaceofspaeder on Twitter, he's always rolls out the Raines stats and comps around this time of year.

• 1 month later...

Idiot of the year award surely goes to John Heymond. He refuses to vote for Piazza because of the steroid suspicion. He also voted for Barry Bonds, who we have definitive proof used them.

• Like 1

Idiot of the year award surely goes to John Heymond. He refuses to vote for Piazza because of the steroid suspicion. He also voted for Barry Bonds, who we have definitive proof used them.

Randy Galloway apparently only voted for Bagwell and Griffey.

Okay - as per usual I have close the post to make the vote official, feel free to carry on in the other HOF thread.

We had 45 votes - that means to make the DVDVR HOF you needed 34 votes (33.75 so I rounded up)

That means getting in would be

Ken Griffey Jr (45 votes)

Barry Bonds (40 votes)

Roger Clemons (38 votes)

Jeff Bagwell (35 votes)

Tim Raines (34 votes)

If we were submitting it as a ballot - our 10 names would be

Ken Griffey Jr (45 votes)
Barry Bonds (40 votes)
Roger Clemens (38 votes)
Jeff Bagwell (35 votes)
Tim Raines (34 votes)