DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

That conversation in the What We Missed shows we need this back.

So D12 is a Rocket, Smith is a Piston, the Celtics traded their head coach, the Nets traded half their team to take one shot at Miami, and...

Metta World Peace just got amnestied.   If he makes it through the waiver process, he'll be a Knick. 

Seriously, that is a lot of noise being made just to earn the right to lose to Bulls/Heat in the Eastern Semi's, or the Heat in the NBA Finals.

Josh Smith to the Pistons is funny. Anyone that ties their cap space up to a former Atlanta Hawk will earn no sympathy from me.

Dwight on the Rockets is a total non-factor of a move. San Antonio will destroy them, if Durant doesn't do it first. Why does no one want to go to Chicago? San Antonio's roster is full and OKC is cheap, so you have no shot at winning unless you go there.

The Garnett/Pierce/Terry trade to Brooklyn is high comedy.  All that noise just to get ran over by the Heat Express.  LeBron is going to posterize Terry wearing another jersey.  Good times.

More from me later as I gather my thoughts on my thesis: LeBron in Lakerland: Can the Mamba Stand Down? (also known as A Mamba in Need is No Friend of Me:  Why Should  LeBron Want to Help Kobe Beat Jordan?)

Is Prokhorov holding AK47's family hostage?  Under the table russian money?  The dude opted out of 10 mil to take a 1 year deal for 3.  Someone help me explain this one.

He was looking for someone to give him a contract of something like 3-4 years at 7m per year and got no takers.  He just hasn't fired his agent because of it like Monta Ellis did.  I think the Spurs would have paid him if the T-Wolves were more willing to do a trade.

Of all of Dwight's suitors, I think Golden State would have been his best chance of actually, you know, winning a championship.  Houston is still in the process of gutting their team because of him, and after last season, I would be dying to keep Asik.

Dallas having to eat free agent table scraps is "friend zoned by the love of your life" levels of depressing.  Literally just a read a story that we were an hour away from signing Iggy.  I hate life.

So the Nets are not supposed to try and improve their team? The Russian could not give a crap about luxury taxes and the like. He'll spend and spend and spend. They are right now at worst the 3 seed in the East...  They'll get a crack at it.

Improve your team, yes.  But not with guys in their mid-30s who are going to need oxygen tanks to make through the season.

And if you think Brooklyn is going to be a Top 3 team in the East?  Miami, Chicago, and Indiana want words with you.  Don't worry, they'll sell you the bridge in Brooklyn at a reasonable price when the conversation ends.  Even the Knicks may have something to say.

I honestly think the Nets taking all of these guys was meant to give Kidd some solid veterans in his first season.  They are a second round team at best, but they'll make J. Kidd look decent in his first coaching season.

Why does no one want to go to Chicago? 

We don't have any money because of Boozer's magic bean contract. Aldridge wanted to come over but we couldn't get the pieces right.

We're pretty much locked into this core group for one more season, which isn't bad if D-Rose sets foot on the court and doesn't fall into a billion pieces.In 2014 we'll amnesty Boozer and we'll finally bring in Nikola Mirotic to see if he's the real or the jabroni. Deng will probably be gone too and we'll use his money to go hunting for another big fish. As a fan, I'm in a pretty good spot as my team willactually be competitive next season(as opposed to tanking) and will hopefully be better the season after. 

We don't have any money because of Boozer's magic bean contract. Aldridge wanted to come over but we couldn't get the pieces right.

We're pretty much locked into this core group for one more season, which isn't bad if D-Rose sets foot on the court and doesn't fall into a billion pieces.In 2014 we'll amnesty Boozer and we'll finally bring in Nikola Mirotic to see if he's the real or the jabroni. Deng will probably be gone too and we'll use his money to go hunting for another big fish. As a fan, I'm in a pretty good spot as my team willactually be competitive next season(as opposed to tanking) and will hopefully be better the season after. 

What's it like Jae?  Being optimistic about your team's future?

Sucks this board was down while all the big FA news was going on. There's a lot of middle-of-the-pack or bad teams spending a ton of money. Like Charlotte adding Jefferson or whatever Sacramento & Milwaukee are doing. These teams should be bottoming out and clearing cap room and doing what the Jazz did in taking bad contracts to add draft picks. 

I kinda like what the Lakers are doing w/ post-Dwight Howard. They've oddly improved their depth with Kaman/Young/Farmar AND at the same time might have increased their chances to be bad with Kaman/Young/Farmar! :)  

I don't like the Melo rumors. Also, really wish the Lakers would just start doing their traditional 3 year rebuild job, which Kupchak did an outstanding job last time picking up good lower picks & short term deals. 

We don't have any money because of Boozer's magic bean contract. Aldridge wanted to come over but we couldn't get the pieces right. We're pretty much locked into this core group for one more season, which isn't bad if D-Rose sets foot on the court and doesn't fall into a billion pieces.In 2014 we'll amnesty Boozer and we'll finally bring in Nikola Mirotic to see if he's the real or the jabroni. Deng will probably be gone too and we'll use his money to go hunting for another big fish. As a fan, I'm in a pretty good spot as my team willactually be competitive next season(as opposed to tanking) and will hopefully be better the season after.

You might be able to answer this better than most people, but why didn't the Bulls just keep Aldridge instead of trading him for Tyrus Thomas?

Improve your team, yes.  But not with guys in their mid-30s who are going to need oxygen tanks to make through the season.

And if you think Brooklyn is going to be a Top 3 team in the East?  Miami, Chicago, and Indiana want words with you.  Don't worry, they'll sell you the bridge in Brooklyn at a reasonable price when the conversation ends.  Even the Knicks may have something to say.

I agree that they are not a Top 3 team, but they will probably be better than the Knicks.  That's a big deal from a $ standpoint considering they are trying to build a fan base.  Plus, it's not like they can just wait around while D Will to get older.  They needed to take a shot right now.  

I really like that they made a splash and I doubt anyone will want to play them in the playoffs. The AK move really changes the complexion of their bench.  Interesting stuff.

I agree that they are not a Top 3 team, but they will probably be better than the Knicks.  That's a big deal from a $ standpoint considering they are trying to build a fanbase.  Plus, it's not like they can just wait around while D Will to get older.  They have to take a shot right now, KG and Pierce were the best option.

I suppose, but it feels dumb, you know?  To give up that much of your future for what equates to one shot at a championship with this roster, knowing who is in front of you?  It just seems crazy to go that far.

I honestly think the Nets taking all of these guys was meant to give Kidd some solid veterans in his first season.  They are a second round team at best, but they'll make J. Kidd look decent in his first coaching season.

Lawrence Frank will make J. Kidd look decent in his first season.

Or they'll fire Kidd 20 games in and just make Frank the guy for the rest of the season. 

You might be able to answer this better than most people, but why didn't the Bulls just keep Aldridge instead of trading him for Tyrus Thomas?

The word was that they never intended to keep Aldridge and that they just drafted him for Portland. I have no idea why. All I know is that if they hadn't fucked up, we wouldn't have gotten D-Rose, so it worked out pretty nice. It'd be insane if we can get him back, but I'm not holding my breath. 

What's it like Jae?  Being optimistic about your team's future?

What's it like to beat Lebron James in the playoffs?

• Like 1

Monta Ellis signed for 3 years and 25 million? He was offered 3 years and 36 million with the Bucks. He must really hate Milwaukee or he somehow thinks the Mavericks are a title contender.

The word was that they never intended to keep Aldridge and that they just drafted him for Portland. I have no idea why. All I know is that if they hadn't fucked up, we wouldn't have gotten D-Rose, so it worked out pretty nice. It'd be insane if we can get him back, but I'm not holding my breath. 

What's it like to beat Lebron James in the playoffs?

The Bulls won't ever know.

*drops mic*

Monta Ellis signed 3-year deal with Dallas.

I am so sorry, RandomAct.

I'll go on record as loving the Bynum deal for Cleveland.  Worst case scenario you're only out $6M and you stink enough to get a good draft pick next year.  Best case scenario he's back to 80% of what he was and you're basically getting 2 years worth of contract-year Bynum for $24M.  I do think this Cleveland team is going to be historically bad defensively.  Everyone on that team besides Varejao is a sieve.

I sort-of, kind-of like what the Bucks are doing.  I feel like they're going to be a poor man's (homeless man's?) version of this year's Rockets or the '09 Magic where you take a good post player, surround him with shooters, and then run pick-and-rolls all day.  That's an OK plan.  But then they go and overpay for Teague, Mayo, and Pachulia and it looks like a much less-good plan. Delfino at $3M is a good deal, though.