DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 78: Magny vs. Gastelum (11/21/2015) - Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico (Arena Monterrey)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_Magny_vs._Gastelum_Poste

UFC Fight Night 78: Magny vs. Gastelum
November 21, 2015
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico (Arena Monterrey)

Neil Magny (171) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (171) - Magny, DEC (split)
Ricardo Lamas (146) vs. Diego Sanchez (145) - Lamas, DEC (unanimous)
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Henry Cejudo (126) - Cejudo, DEC (split)
The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2 Welterweight Final: Erick Montaño (169) vs. Enrique Marín (170) - Montaño, DEC (split)
The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2 Lightweight Final: Enrique Barzola (155) vs. Horacio Gutiérrez (154) - Barzola, DEC (unanimous)
Efrain Escudero (156) vs. Leandro Silva (155) - Silva, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Érik Pérez (136) vs. Taylor Lapilus (136) - Pérez, DEC (unanimous)
Héctor Urbina (171) vs. Bartosz Fabiński (170) - Fabiński, DEC (unanimous)
Scott Jorgensen (135.5) vs. Alejandro Pérez (135.5) - Pérez, TKO (leg injury), R2 (4:26)
Gabriel Benítez (145) vs. Andre Fili (145) - Fili, KO (head kick and punches), R1 (3:13)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Vernon Ramos (170) vs. Alvaro Herrera (171) - Herrera, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (0:30)
Cezar Arzamendia (155) vs. Polo Reyes (155) - Reyes, KO (punch), R1 (3:42)
Valmir Lázaro (155) vs. Michel Prazeres (156) - Prazeres, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Polo Reyes
Performance of the Night: Andre Fili
Fight of the Night: Neil Magny vs. Kelvin Gastelum

Attendance: 10,410
Rating: 750,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Matt Brown vs. Kelvin Gastelum - Injury to Brown (Ankle)
Érik Pérez vs. Damian Stasiak - Stasiak Withdrew from Bout

I'm rooting for Neil Magny.

Mr. Reliable for 2015.

Also, I like how we get another fight in Mexico that should have been on another card. Lazaro/Prazeres should have been on the SP card a week and a half ago. This is what happens when you owe people fights.

Diego Sanchez is going to look like living death at the weigh-ins, I imagine.

Didn't know there was a second TUF Latin America.

All I knew was that Gastelum and Escudero were the coaches. It's tough keeping up with the U.S. version (especially with impromptu non-airings because of MLB postseason coverage) let alone other versions.

Who's the best wrestler Johnson's fought? Benavidez? How much better is Cejudo at setting up takedowns than Benavidez?

Edit: UFC's website says Mighty Mouse has stopped 66% of the takedowns he's faced in the UFC. That's not as high as I thought, but doesn't he generally pop right back up? Cejudo's strength seems to be top control. Would make for an interesting fight.

Who's the best wrestler Johnson's fought? Benavidez? How much better is Cejudo at setting up takedowns than Benavidez?

Edit: UFC's website says Mighty Mouse has stopped 66% of the takedowns he's faced in the UFC. That's not as high as I thought, but doesn't he generally pop right back up? Cejudo's strength seems to be top control. Would make for an interesting fight.

On paper, it would probably be Benavidez. However, in two fights, he only took DJ down once. Performance wise, it would be Dominick Cruz. He got ten takedowns against him. You have to figure some of that is size.

I think Cejudo's best shot is stopping DJ with strikes. He can be hit, but it's got to be a consistent attack. You might drop him, but you have to stay on him. That's why I would like to see if Cejudo can develop the power and the technique to do that over possibly 2 or 3 fights before challenging for a belt. Horiguchi has speed and power, but he doesn't have the wrestling. People talk about Conor not facing wrestlers before challenging for a belt, but Horiguchi went into a title fight after having basically all kickboxing fights with a few TDs thrown in. Johnson could basically spam takedowns on him all day. That probably wouldn't work on Cejudo. He might get him down a few times, but I don't think he would be hitting double digits.

Longtime Scott Jorgensen fan, but I think this is pretty much it for him.  He just can't keep it together in there and his body is falling apart in the Octagon.  Sort of like Jamie Varner toward the end of his run.  Jorgensen kind of hit his peak at a difficult time back in the WEC days just before the lighter weight classes made it to the UFC.

Hooray for Neil Magny.  He steps up again and rises to the occasion.  Gastelum just came out way too slow and he was not prepared at all for a fighter Magny's size.  Granted, he did get an opponent change on short notice.

Diego Sanchez needs to retire.  That weight cut gave him no advantage at all.

Hooray for Neil Magny.  He steps up again and rises to the occasion.  Gastelum just came out way too slow and he was not prepared at all for a fighter Magny's size.  Granted, he did get an opponent change on short notice.

Diego Sanchez needs to retire.  That weight cut gave him no advantage at all.

That and he tried to make it too much of a brawl early on when Magny wanted to pick him off from range. Magny was winning the scrambles and that's probably what kept those early rounds from being swing rounds. 48-47 Magny was the right call.

• Like 1

So where does this take Ricardo Lamas? Like, the Chad Mendes and Edgar fight result won't make him a viable #1 contender regardless of the result. Aldo is going to get a rematch if he loses and McGregor will be placed before Lamas if he loses. This fight had no benefit for Lamas at all. His only dog in the fight is that McGregor loses and he faces C-Mac for the winner of Aldo-whoever wins the Mendes-Edgar fight. If Holloway beats Stephens, I can see him saying that he should be next for a shot at the championship but likely won't get it until after Edgar and Mendes.

I think the winner of Holloway vs. Stephens makes sense. He could also have another stay busy fight depending on what the schedule looks like. I don't think he will get penalized because the Mendes fight was so decisive. However, he probably won't be in the immediate title mix because it's hard to plan with three important fights happening so close together.

Undercard was way more entertaining than the man.  Holy shit that left from Marco Polo Reyes.  I totally hate Andre Fili's fight nickname but that fucking kid can swarm.

Was really impressed with the heart on Jorgensen but I hope his bravery didn't cost him complete mobility.  I am angry yet satisfied that the ref did not stop the match.  Let Jorgensen fight to the best of his ability and leave it in the ring with no regrets about what if and tap out on his own terms.  I just hope the guy's decision to scrap on doesn't leave him crippled.